Advice needed! Going from a walker to a ... runner?

Options
ajff
ajff Posts: 986 Member
I've always been a slow walker. I opt for a nice little loop through my neighborhood that is quite hilly, so I get some intensity from the incline. One day I was walking past the storage facility and decided I would try to run around one of the buildings in the FAR back (where NO ONE would be able to see). I made it 1/2 way around that building, and I thought I was going to die.

The next walk, I got 3 doors further down the building. And so on. Today I ran around it twice and then back out to the road past another building and up to the next house. I mean, I ran on the actual road. Where people might see me (haha, but it was 5:30 on a Saturday morning, so probably not!). Ok, I jogged, but whatever. Then on my way past in the other direction, I did one more "storage loop jog".

This week I started using Map My Walk and love to look at the pacing, graphs, etc... Here's what I noticed (after 2 walks, so low sample set...):

- my first walk I had a faster walking pace, but jogged less
- my second walk I jogged more but my walking pace was SLOWer

I am a complete novice at this whole jogging/running thing and I'm wondering where to focus my energy? Should I try and walk faster the whole time and maintain a high intensity or give myself some recovery leeway time after jogging farther each time and have less walking intensity??

Thanks for your help!

PS - I don't yet know what my goals are? Initially I was only concerned about burning calories, but I have a friend who really wants me to do a 5K with her. Yeah, she is a dreamer. But each time I go farther, I think maybe I could join her.... in my dreams.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking into C25k? It's a great app that basically trains you to be able to run a 5k. I think it's a 9 week program? Maybe more if you take your time with it. It trains you 3x a week. So I mean, you could be running that 5k in as little as 9 weeks. It's not just a pipe dream.

I recently ran my first 5k. I didn't run the whole thing, but I ran most of it. It was a great experience. Don't let you talk yourself out of it. It really is a great experience and a good goal to have!
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking into C25k? It's a great app that basically trains you to be able to run a 5k. I think it's a 9 week program? Maybe more if you take your time with it. It trains you 3x a week. So I mean, you could be running that 5k in as little as 9 weeks. It's not just a pipe dream.

I recently ran my first 5k. I didn't run the whole thing, but I ran most of it. It was a great experience. Don't let you talk yourself out of it. It really is a great experience and a good goal to have!

^^^ This
    Type into Google NHS couch to 5k. As the above poster says it's 9 podcasts covering a week and gradually gets you running by alternating walking with jogging. As the sessions get harder the walking bits decrease and the jogging increases.
  • Tlink34
    Tlink34 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started the way you did..last year..almost a year ago now. I am running my first half marathon next month..that's 13.1 miles. You most certainly can join your friend. Use the couch to 5K and jump in to the program with both feet. It' squire doable for almost anyone. My husband..who is 59..just started it this week!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    C25K app. I am on week four and it is fantastic as it slowly gets you into running 5K. Highly recommended! Download it to your phone.
    Stef.
  • CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    First off, let me say "Congratulations!" Just by allowing yourself to run (jog) even where no one can see you, you've made a change in your mental perception of yourself.

It sounds as though you are a lot like me when it comes to running. Other than the mandatory sprints and jogs in school, I've never run and never intended to. Well, until about a year ago when I asked myself "what if?"

I'm doing the C25K podcasts on a treadmill, and though they are a 9-week program there's nothing that says you have to do them in 9-weeks. I spent close to four weeks on week one alone! And believe me, I thought those first few weeks were going to kill this 51 year old!!

If you're looking for something different for a 5K, check out the Color Run. I have several friends who did and they highly recommend it for beginning runners. First because they are fun, second because it's untimed and many people walk the entire route.

I did a Color Run in April with a friend and my daughter. Out of deference to my friend who is a walker but in bad shape, we walked the entire route and still had a blast. Plus, as my friend said after we crossed the finish line, "We made it, it didn't kill us, and we're not the last ones to cross! Total win!"

Again, congratulations on wanting more and being brave enough to run in public. Even if it is 5:30 in the morning and (probably) no one is around to see you. You are still doing it and that makes you a winner in my book!! :flowerforyou:
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My daughter did a color run, mainly because her husband-a cross country runner-talked her into it. As a dancer, she was used to movement, but not running. She did it, had a blast and now I want to aim to do it for next year. Sadly, my knees are shot. I know losing weight may help that, but age has done a number on this as well. I've heard elliticals can be a good alternative for people with bad knees.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    So last week, my sister convinced me to sign up for a 10K.... and I didn't run... at all!! It's in January, and through some recommendations, I downloaded the C210K program. I'm on my 3rd day of the 1st week, and I have to say... I love it! It very gently takes you walking/jogging to walking/running to jogging/running to running! I can actually say that I'm a runner now, and I honestly love it.

Good luck, and way to go!!
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You're making a very big step. I agree with the others that the C25K programs are great.

My suggestion is get a good pair of shoes. Have yourself fitted by a professional. Shoes will make or break your run. They're good for about 300 miles, so if you're starting with a mile or two here or there, they will last you a long time.
  • 4NGI
    4NGI Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It will take a little while before your body adjusts and your pulse stays low enough to comfortably enjoy jogging. Meantime switch between the two, allow yourself to walk when the jogging is difficult but it is perfectly normal to find you walk a lot faster than you jog at first, as cardio and cal burning goes jogging is giving you a better workout even though you might feel like wonder woman on the speed walks compared to the clumsy jogging. Well done and stick at but do take it at your own pace, it would be a shame to get an injury by pushing it too hard at first. Good luck.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options

PS - I don't yet know what my goals are? Initially I was only concerned about burning calories, but I have a friend who really wants me to do a 5K with her. Yeah, she is a dreamer. But each time I go farther, I think maybe I could join her.... in my dreams.

You absolutely can do a 5k. Make that your goal. Get the couch to 5k app and get started. I was the same as you, a walker who had never run. I thought "maybe" someday in my dreams I could do a 5k. Well in the 2 years since I started with C25K I have done multiple 5k's, 10k's, half marathons and a full marathon. Go for it!!!!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    another thumbs up to C25K. i used it to run my first 5K two years ago, and i haven't stopped running since. it helps gets your lungs, leg muscles, and heart trained for the increased running distance. the trick is to keep the run portions S-L-O-W. (the first attempt at C25K, i strained my hamstring the first week. the second attempt, i slowed down -- speedwalkers were passing me <blush> -- but i did much better.) i was shocked and amazed that i was actually able to run a 5K!

also, i think there are C25K message boards on MFP.

great thing you're doing, and have FUN!
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    you can approach it in two ways I recommend both. Increase your speed in walking and decrease your speed in jogging/running. running a distance means you need to conserve your energy. Interchanging these two activities you will eventually become a runner. I add a sprint at the end of my power walks :) I went from walking to jogging 15Ks I was slow but I finished and hell did it burn a ton of calories
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yep, c25k. Also, slow down your running pace. You shouldn't feel like you're dying by the end of the interval. Yes it will be slow and you might hesitate to even call it a jog but it will improve with your endurance.

P.S. Grats on the current running! You sound like you're having fun which is a great beginning.

EDIT: Honestly, I was never a runner. Back in junior high and high school when everyone ran laps, I was at the end. I ran slower than the heavier students! Now I love running and can't stand the thought of having to stop.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good apps out there i really like bluefin soft wear has really good ones bridge to 10k ease into 5 k and ease into 10 are the ones I have and really like them
  • CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is get a good pair of shoes. Have yourself fitted by a professional. Shoes will make or break your run. They're good for about 300 miles, so if you're starting with a mile or two here or there, they will last you a long time.

Very good suggestion! Find a running/walking shoe store in your area, even if you have to drive to a nearby town to find one. Honestly, my Brooks Ghost weren't much more expensive than the last pair of tennis shoes I had bought at an outlet mall.

Take your current running shoes with you. They will want to look at the treads to see how your feet land when you're walking/running. You'll be asked to not only walk around the store with the new shoes, you'll also be asked to run/jog in them. The weather was nice when I went, so they had me run back and forth in the parking lot to check my stride. A friend of mine said that her local store also has a treadmill inside, for bad weather days.

Yes, misskris78 is totally correct. Good shoes really are a sound investment to your feet.
  • Cherio45
    Cherio45 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for getting the "jog bug"lol. I too have been bitten and began a treadmill training in January. I have done 3 5k's and those are a wonderful place to walk/run around a wonderful group of like-minded others. I was up to doing 3 miles five days a week but recently developed tendonitis of the tricep and bicep and have been having a lot of pain and ortho appointments! lol Onward and forward, one day at a time. Healing and beginning my training again slowly but surely.

Just remember that everyone runs their own race and no one looks down on you for walking, jogging, running,panting, losing wind, and dragging yourself across that finish line!! Why?? Just because you TRIED! There will be SO much encouragement there it will fill you with determination!

A great book I just finished was "Beginner's Luck Guide for Non-Runners" by George Anderson. It's learning how to transition from walking to jogging. It's a 10 week program and you DON'T advance until YOU are comfortable that you accomplished the week you are in, which means no pressure to advance faster that you are ready for. I think trying too fast can set one up for failure, after all.....it's your race! Another good read is anything by Jeff Galloway.

It's not how FAST you run/jog, it's distance that counts unless you are striving for timed trials to achieve something big like The Boston Marathon. You are doing AWESOME!! Just keep "secretly jogging" and get that confidence up and be PROUD that you are out there TRYING!! Good luck!!