Weight lifting for weight loss

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've been working hard over the past 6 weeks to strength train as well as do cardio in order to build muscle, as well as reduce weight. I don't have a personal trainer, because it's too expensive. I've been following a book called "The Truth" written by Frank Sepe, which has been so helpful. My routine is as follows:

Monday - chest, triceps & biceps, abs
Wednesday - back, shoulders, abs
Friday - butt, legs, calves, abs

I make a point of doing cardio everyday for 30 minutes.

I have seen a difference in my body so far and I feel stronger and great. Yesterday when I was at the gym, one of the guys who worked there came over to correct my form. He then started telling me that I need help in training because the workout I've been doing is not going through the fat to reach the muscle.

I think this explanation is a little bit weird, just wanted to know your thoughts on this. Maybe he meant to say I need to work harder on my form? Any thoughts.

Tips and advice also welcome!

Replies

• maryjane28
    maryjane28 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That guy sounds like an idiot for one, however; Form, is really important. It's the only way you'll see results. If you decide to get a trainer, it doesn't have to be a forever thing. Tell them you don't need a super hard workout ( you can find lots of those online) just some help learning your form and getting more familiar with the weights. It could make all the difference.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    That guy is a quack.

As far as workouts go, I'd aim for 3 full body workouts per week focusing on compound lifts. You'll get better bang for your buck hitting the big muscles several times a week (with the smaller muscles also getting a solid workout each time). You could do 2-3 30min sessions with a trainer, having the set you up with 2-3 different routines that you can work through. Make sure they write it all down for you and that you know proper form.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So I'm not a big fan of personal trainers just because they turn into paid cheerleaders after a few sessions. If spending money to have one show you the best form for all the exercises is prohibitive, maybe just google form + lift name to watch some videos on how to do things right.

And obviously, what the dude said about going through the fat to reach the muscle was just nonsense... maybe he was having a stroke?
  • premneote
    premneote Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! By the way, the gym I go to is LA Fitness. My gym membership is cheap, but I constantly get solicited for personal training all the time. It seems like to me that they would go to any lengths to sell personal training to anyone.