Maintain weight with treadmill

Options
Hi
I have lost 61 pounds( 296 to 235) i would like to stay at 235. I have been doing the treadmill and i would like to know what speed and incline need to be done. I usually do 4,0 (Speed) for ten minuted the 3.5 for 20 minutes that would total 30 minutes at a 8.5 incline. I don't want to lose anymore weight.

Thanks

Replies

• fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    There is not a certain number on the treadmill that will make you maintain.
    It is about the balance of calories in versus calories out.
    So look at what you eat and what you burn in a day, and figure out what calorie level you need to maintain your weight with your current activities.
    I would advise you to switch up your exercise a bit, work muscles in a different way, add some weight training etc.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You maintain weight by eating the same amount of calories that you use a day
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    There is not a certain number on the treadmill that will make you maintain.
    It is about the balance of calories in versus calories out.
    So look at what you eat and what you burn in a day, and figure out what calorie level you need to maintain your weight with your current activities.
    I would advise you to switch up your exercise a bit, work muscles in a different way, add some weight training etc.
    Why change up exercise? It is irrelevant to weight loss (calories in/ calories out).
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I usually do 4,0 (Speed)
    You'll gain weight if your speed is set to 4.
    You'll maintain at 5.
    You'll lose weight at 6.
    Whatever you do, don't go to 7.

If that's too complicated you could track your calories instead.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Your weight control (lose, maintain, or gain) has more to do with consumption than it does exercise. I actually do more exercise now in maintenance than I ever did when I was losing weight...I compensate to maintain my weight by eating more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    I would go with overhead pressing the treadmill instead.:laugh: :laugh:

The reality is weight loss/gain is entirely dependent on calories in/out. If you consume the calories you use in a day, then weight should maintain with/without exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I usually do 4,0 (Speed)
    You'll gain weight if your speed is set to 4.
    You'll maintain at 5.
    You'll lose weight at 6.
    Whatever you do, don't go to 7.

If that's too complicated you could track your calories instead.
    :laugh: I LIkE it!
  • fushigi1988
    Options
    Why change up exercise? It is irrelevant to weight loss (calories in/ calories out).

Every day on the treadmill will get boring, and it will be less effective because your body gets used to the movement.
    It's not really relevant for weightloss, but is is for recomp.
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Your asking the wrong question. A better question would be: how do I keep from regularly exceeding my daily calorie expenditure for the forseeable future? In the game of Treadmill vs. Excess calories the treadmill will always lose in the longrun.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I mt with the tm too, but i do intervals. 8 or 10 intervals of 40 seconds at 10-12 kph, but tbh it really is down to you to work out your own mt.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Every day on the treadmill will get boring, and it will be less effective because your body gets used to the movement.
    It's not really relevant for weightloss, but is is for recomp.
    I suppose it can get boring for some people, but I have to disagree with you otherwise. Your body getting used to the movements is much ado about nothing. If it works for a person to be on the treadmill every day, then more power to them.

The treadmill is not a tool for recomp, lifting weights is. :smile:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I mt with the tm too, but i do intervals. 8 or 10 intervals of 40 seconds at 10-12 kph, but tbh it really is down to you to work out your own mt.

Sorry, couldn't read your post because I do not recognize some of the words:

tm
    mt
    tbh

Please explain? Thanks.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Loosing weight with treadmill is one of easiest and sustainable methods for losing weight by burning fat. Weight loss through treadmill helps an individual by implementing workout routines on a treadmill machine. Treadmill weight loss workout will helps you to build a healthy body in short period of time.
  • fushigi1988
    Options
    Loosing weight with treadmill is one of easiest and sustainable methods for losing weight by burning fat. Weight loss through treadmill helps an individual by implementing workout routines on a treadmill machine. Treadmill weight loss workout will helps you to build a healthy body in short period of time.
    This is the forum about maintaining weight, and OP has said 'I don't want to lose more weight'
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Sorry, couldn't read your post because I do not recognize some of the words:

tm
    mt
    tbh

Please explain? Thanks.

I'm not the poster but assume tm = treadmill, mt = maintain, tbh = to be honest
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining with the use of my treadmill, by not consuming more than the extra 300 or so calories I burn on my 3 mile daily run.

It is so easy to out eat your exercise efforts. Much better to track calories and focus on the treadmill for general fitness.