Trying keto diet in Thailand.

I'm currently in Pai, Thailand on a backpacking trip of Southeast Asia. I've really wanted to start the keto diet so I've stopped backpacking and have signed up for a 3 week Muay Thai kickboxing gym. Classes are 6x week, 2 classes per day, 2 hours a class. I start in 2 more days.
i have been doing the Keto diet for 5 days so far and I really hope I'm doing it right. I'm trying to eat under 10% carb 25-30% protein 60-65% fat
Basically I eat the following:
Breakfast 2 fried eggs 2 sausages
Lunch 1 avocado, 1 cup coconut milk, 2 tblsp coconut oil shake
Dinner Red thai curry made with coconut milk, chicken, brocoli, green thai eggplant, hot chilies
For snacks I eat a homemade avocado dip on aged cheddar
I've been putting coconut oil and milk in my coffee. There is no refined sugar added to anything. It's a little bit tough when I cannot cook for myself as I'm staying in a hotel with a mini fridge but coconut milk, cheese, butter, canned tuna and the avocado dip will be my snack staples.
Any guidance to teak this plan would be appreciated but do keep in mind my limited use of a kitchen.
Thank you

Replies

• dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Have you experienced the 'Keto flu', yet?

The major thing I'd worry about with your plan is that the onset of ketosis can be really awful and draining for some people. Some folks don't notice anything at all, but others can feel sick for a week or two. When I was doing Keto I felt tired and ill for about five days right at the start, but my boyfriend says that he never got to the 'full of energy' stage that keto fans talk about.

Anyway, I just mean to say that if you do find yourself down with Keto flu, you might want to consider just having fun and enjoying your kickboxing camp rather than suffering through activity intense days while feeling sleepy and Ill. keto is one of those diets that is best attempted in a familiar place where you have total control over your groceries and how you cook them. If you're doing Keto primarily to loose weight, four hours of kickboxing a day and a healthy non-keto diet may actually give you better results :)

(And at a glance your diet seems pretty Keto friendly. Just try not to get bored of it! Haha, that was what made me fail at Keto.)
  • I do think I am in ketosis. Loss of appetite, constant urinating, insatiable thirst and yes, lower energy. I'm hoping it's all cleared up really soon haha.

I think the coffee gives me quite a bit of energy and I do have a few modifications of curries. Red green yellow. Also fish and veggie dishes. Meat on sticks seem abundant. Salad is pretty hard to come by. The market produce is pretty sad looking as well. I've been bring my own coconut oil and butter to these restaurants for the cooking of my food. The thai ladies have been pretty awesome about helping me achieve the goal by letting me into the kitchen to supervise/learn.

I do wonder about how to fit my food around my training. Class at 8-10am and 3-5pm. Was wondering if I should do morning class on the coconut coffee drink alone? Also, getting food into my system in the golden 15-20 min after a workout? Canned tuna perhaps? This is why I'm here. Guidance.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Are you going to go to Vietnam as well? It's too bad you're doing keto right now when Thailand's best street food involves some sort of rice. Have you had fish cakes there yet? I love that but not sure of the carb content because some starch is used as a binding agent.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Loss of appetite, constant urinating, insatiable thirst and yes, lower energy.

Sounds great. Good luck with that.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    As far as doing classes before or after you''ve eaten, I always find that I work out better on an empty stomach. I tend to get naucious if I have more than a bit to drink before I exersice. There's nothing wrong with putting breakfast off untill you''re done your kickboxing, but be sure to have a good meal afterwards. A coffee before and some tuna right after sounds great!

Just pay attention to what your body is telling you. If you feel drained and hungry halfway through your workout, then maybe it would be a good idea to get up a little earlier to have a small breakfast and digest a bit before your class.
  • I've already been to Vietnam. I've literally been living the life of a carbolic. I don't overly care for rice or rice noodles but the Asian food culture is largely bAsed around these items. Bread is my carb of choice and due to my lack of appetite I have zero cravings. I haven't tried the fish cakes but perhaps will give them ago in 4 weeks time when I carb up a little.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I don't understand why you would want to go on a keto diet in the middle of a backpacking trip. :huh:
  • I don't understand why you would want to go on a keto diet in the middle of a backpacking trip. :huh:

Why not? I'm stationed for the next three weeks in an amazing little town where I have no bad influences. I'm surrounded by like minded people who are interested in fitness and wellness. Not to mention my food expenses are around $6 a day. What better time to give up harmful substances like sugar and refined carbs? The last two countries that I travelled were full of sugar and carb and beer over loads. My guilty pleasure is wine and there's not a lot of good wine kicking around here. Travelling to me is greatly valued as a time where I can focus on myself and make self-improvements. I'm also desiring a bit of schedule for sense of purpose as the last 3 months have been great but I'm sure I've gained a few u wanted pounds. Passing on noodles and rice but still eating thai dishes seems to me like a great idea.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    "What better time to give up harmful substances like sugar and refined carbs?

Wut.....
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Training muay thai on a keto diet...... :noway:

Also low carb in Thailand sounds like torture. Thai food is far too delicious for that
  • Is there anyone who thinks positive about my plans?
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    "What better time to give up harmful substances like sugar and refined carbs?

Wut.....

There is a lot of research showing the harmful effects of sugar. Just google it if you aren't familiar. It's a terrible thing to add to food despite how much more palatable it can make stuff taste.