For the ladies--best hair removal technique

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Laser is well worth the investment IMO but EMLA cream is a must - worst pain ever and I have had 2 kids :o

That's long term though so wouldn't do for your holidays so, wax or epilator.

I did laser and it wasn't really that painful. Last couple treatments maybe because I made her crank it so I could stop going. It's almost 10 years later and still looking good.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the time/pain level for waxing, look in the ethnic hair care section of your local drugstore for "Magic Powder." It's made for African-American men to remove their beards. Mix up the powder with some water, put it on the area, leave it for 9 minutes (PUT. A. TIMER. ON. -- don't leave it on too long) and then use a hard surface, such as a credit card, to scrape it off the hair. Works all over the area, doesn't leave a burn or bumps, and costs about .25 per application.

the main caution is not to use soap over that area for the next day or two, because that will sting.
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Well, this past two months I've tried waxing and threading for my eyebrows. I've done other things for my legs and bikini area but honestly I would go with threading. It's about the same cost as waxing, you won't get burned, you don't feel sticky, you don't get bumps, and it's fast. It's worth trying out to see if you like it.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Get a Groupon for laser hair removal. As a random example from googling, this (http://www.groupon.com/deals/pro-aesthetics-4) will get you a full Brazilian for $189 total, which I can guarantee you is less than you'd spend on waxing over a few years, and you'll be hair-free for pretty much forever (with occasional touch-ups much later on). I don't know where you live, but I'm sure you can find a Groupon deal near you. I used to wax all the time, but I got frustrated with the waiting period where it's growing out enough to wax; during that process, I don't want to wear a bikini or tank top or shorts (if underarms and legs are waxed too), because the hair is visible, and I have dark enough hair that I can't really afford that.

If you must wax, though, I'd recommend a European Wax Center. They're a bit pricier, but much less painful than traditional waxing.

Most people avoid laser removal because of the price, and I never would have considered it if a friend hadn't referred me to Groupon. I had no side effects whatsoever, and the pain was less than a waxing session (more like a prickling than actual pain).

Hope this doesn't make me sound like a shill, and that this information helps you.

I agree with this poster but laser takes a number ( 6 or more) of sessions so I woul plan ahead for your next year's vacation. You can probably get a good deal such as $199 for a year's worth (every 6 weeks) and in a year or less you are hair free. I did my underarms a few years ago and they are still totally smooth. I'm now doing my legs and bikini area and I'm getting there. With each session you get finer and less hair so the results start paying off early on. Whatever you do don't pay by the session - the cost is way too high and deals are always available. The newer machines (such as the Soprano) are relatively painless compared to the old models.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    nair
    ziba
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I would go with waxing. Not only will it get the hair removed but it will last longer than shaving and creams.

Neosporin or other creams that can be found near the hair removal items in the store will help with red bumps and irritation.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am on team wax also. Tell them it's your first time. Take a friend and a shot of tequila. After a few years, you won't even flinch anymore.

If you stick to shaving, a product called Tend Skin helped me a lot with bumps and ingrown hairs. It burns some until you get used to it - there are some places that you may or may not be shaving that I would avoid applying it. I also use grapeseed oil on my legs when I shave (not the cooking kind, you can get a cheap "massage" type oil at a natural foods store) and think it's a better choice than conditioner.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Fire.
  • zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I vote wax. Motrin twenty minutes before and alcohol after.

That said if you want DIY. I would go with dry shaving. Trim as much as you can with normal scissors then rub talcum powder over the area then with an absolutely brand new razor shave with the grain of hair (going against it will be more likely to leave bumps and ingrown hairs).
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Fire.

takei.gif
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Get it ripped out with wax, girl! Power through the first time. You can handle it. I do recommend trimming it down as much as possible beforehand.
  • CHC94
    CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wax. I learned a few years ago that it was the best option for me. I followed all the advice re: shaving - brand new blade, warm water, wait a few minutes for the hair to 'plump up'...

and sliced my underarm. Brand new, sharp razor... didn't feel it till I rinsed. PAIN.

Since the hair comes out at the root with wax, no danger of cuts. Yes, it does sting and some spots hurt - but they are the same places where it would hurt if you cut yourself shaving: back of knee, ankle, back of thigh.
  • InFitRealm
    InFitRealm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sugar paste. The hair removal with it is less painful than with wax for me.
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Like you i wanted to address my bikini line for my holidays and as I use an epilator on my under arms and legs i thought why not try it 'down there'.

Ooof. It brought tears to my eyes, but i do a little bit every day and i'm getting there.

I think the advantage of using an epilator over waxing is that every time a hair pops through you can just whip it out straight away, no need to wait for them to grow in a bit before going pack to the beauty salon to get it done again. This way you are hair free all the time.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! It looks like pain is involved pretty much any way you go! :(

I am such a wimp.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Like you i wanted to address my bikini line for my holidays and as I use an epilator on my under arms and legs i thought why not try it 'down there'.

Ooof. It brought tears to my eyes, but i do a little bit every day and i'm getting there.

I think the advantage of using an epilator over waxing is that every time a hair pops through you can just whip it out straight away, no need to wait for them to grow in a bit before going pack to the beauty salon to get it done again. This way you are hair free all the time.

If I let it get too long it hurts more, so I'll shave and then go over it later in the day or the next day. Still painful, but much better. Agreed on the last part!
  • Sweetpea6896
    Sweetpea6896 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Brazilians are the best! As others have said, the first tme is the worst, but any time after is not bad and it lasts for several weeks at a time. I've never had issues with bumps or irritation after either.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you shave daily, then it will be fine.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hair is gross any way YUCK:sad:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Get a Groupon for laser hair removal. As a random example from googling, this (http://www.groupon.com/deals/pro-aesthetics-4) will get you a full Brazilian for $189 total, which I can guarantee you is less than you'd spend on waxing over a few years, and you'll be hair-free for pretty much forever (with occasional touch-ups much later on). I don't know where you live, but I'm sure you can find a Groupon deal near you. I used to wax all the time, but I got frustrated with the waiting period where it's growing out enough to wax; during that process, I don't want to wear a bikini or tank top or shorts (if underarms and legs are waxed too), because the hair is visible, and I have dark enough hair that I can't really afford that.

If you must wax, though, I'd recommend a European Wax Center. They're a bit pricier, but much less painful than traditional waxing.

Most people avoid laser removal because of the price, and I never would have considered it if a friend hadn't referred me to Groupon. I had no side effects whatsoever, and the pain was less than a waxing session (more like a prickling than actual pain).

Hope this doesn't make me sound like a shill, and that this information helps you.

If it wasn't sore, you had IPL not laser. It comes back with IPL eventually. If you're going to go through the indignity, you're as well taking the cost and the pain and opt for laser. on closer inspection everything I've found on groupon, KGB, Tina o'docherty, wowcher etc has been IPL (don't know how they get away with the advertising)