How much did you lose taking Spinning Classes?

Options
meliswin
meliswin Posts: 3 Member
I hit a horrible time in my life and now a break-up… I gained 40lbs in 9 months. I am ready to make a change. I want to eat right and go to spinning classes. I just want to know how much did you lose taking spinning classes? Was it a success?

Thank you :)

Replies

• hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I can't stand spin class. It hurts my butt, female parts and knees far too much. Maybe it's the bikes my gym has?? But I've tried everything (gel seats, wearing a maxi pad, moving the seat up/down/forwards/backwards, moving the handlebars, etc, etc).

Meanwhile, my hubby LOVES spin class! He hasn't lost much weight so far, but he's slimming down quite a bit.

Good luck to you!
  • allycolli
    allycolli Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love spinning. I was spinning along with counting calories at the beginning of my health journey and lost 30 lbs. I hit a plateau after 4 months and started adding weight training. The seat on the bikes at my gym are wider and padded, so it hey didn't bother me too much. It's a great workout and you can challenge yourself more as you go along.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I lost 23 lbs while spinning then gained back close to 15 while still spinning. It's all about the food intake. I still spin though-I love it and get the best cardio workout from it.
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on my weight loss journey and I've started taking spin classes. I love them!! Here are my tips.
    1. Buy a padded seat or padded shorts. Yes your butt will still hurt the first 3 or 4 times you go, but I promise it becomes tolerable. In a good spin class, you will be up and down off the seat anyways, so it will give your butt some relief lol
    2. After your first class sit on some ice and take an ibuprofen. This is what the instructor told me to do. Yes, my butt still hurt for a day or two, but I don't think I bruised as bad. I just sat on a bag of frozen peas a couple times that day after my first class.
    3. Customize it! In my class, our bikes allow you to change the tension you have on the bike and not every time I can go has high as the instructor but I'm okay with that. Push your self, but also know that it's okay to taking it at your speed. My first class I only got 8 miles. In my class today I did 17! I made that jump in 3 weeks.
    4. Make sure your bike is set up properly. Ask the instructor to make sure the seat is far enough forward or back, the handle bars are the right height, and the seat is the right height. It really does make a world of difference. You will feel it in your knees if it isn't right.

From what I've read, Cardio is the best way to lose fat quickly, but don't forget to get some weights in there! Good luck to you! (P.S. Feel free to add me!)
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I can't stand spin class. It hurts my butt, female parts and knees far too much. Maybe it's the bikes my gym has?? But I've tried everything (gel seats, wearing a maxi pad, moving the seat up/down/forwards/backwards, moving the handlebars, etc, etc).

Meanwhile, my hubby LOVES spin class! He hasn't lost much weight so far, but he's slimming down quite a bit.

Good luck to you!
    I
    I have the same issue with my bike, which is the reason I've been hesitant about a class. Wish recumbent bikes were an option. They're very comfortable for me.
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love spin! I believe you can lose between 200 350 calories in a 45 minute session. But please remember if you do not change your calorie intake you'll just lose & gain over & over again. I did spin for 2 years before I really got serious about my weight loss. Would just gain & lose the same 10 pounds. Best wishes on your journey!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!