Has loosing the weight made you happy?

Options

Replies

• Holly_k88
    Holly_k88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Its nice to know your all feeling the benefits of a healthier lifestyle :D Thankyou so much for all your comments!

I know loosing weight won't solve my problems, I'm not doing it for that reason, I'm already a happy person. I want to feel more confident and be happy with the body I was given and I hope when I achieve my goals I will.

I can see how past demons might discourage that. At my lightest 119 lbs I had them but id never been bigger so now when I reach my goal hopefully I will perceive it differently and learn to love my body... I already do - to a certain extent :)
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It hasn't made me happy but I don't hate my body so much and that feels pretty good.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Well, yeah. Happier, anyhow. I was never overweight to the point where it really stopped me doing anything in particular, but I was uncomfortable with my body, not very energetic, sleeping badly, etc. I've still got another 50-60 lbs to go, i'm still fairly fat, but the 30 lbs down so far is an accomplishment and it is useful. I feel better, I look better, I have new interests - and that makes me happy. Not in some intrinsic, now-all-is-well way, but in the way that I think some happiness can be an accumulation of small moments of joy, including from things like pride, achievement, confidence, physical pleasure. Thanks to being healthier my average day now contains more of them - i'll glimpse myself in a mirror and like what I see or get compliment or a great endorphin rush from a workout, and that's a few more things in the plus column.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was already pretty happy to begin with, so I don't think my happiness has made a big shift.

But that said, I am more balanced. I credit that to my activity level.
    I have more fun! Which I credit to my energy level.
    I feel prettier (which I am) and enjoy buying cute clothes now. So shopping isn't depressing anymore.
    I don't waste energy on self-consciousness when I'm swimming with friends now. So I am more present.

So am I happier? Not really. I'm the same person. But I am a better version of me. I love being thinner and can't wait to finish up the last 8.5 lbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    In my experience and observation, if you're generally unhappy, weight loss is not going to solve that issue.

I was quite happy when I was fat...just as happy as I am now. I didn't lose weight to be happy...I lost weight because my health was going down the tubes pretty fast and I needed to get things under control.

I would say that now I am a lot more exuberant and have a lot more energy than I used to...and I have way less aches and pains and I'm quite excited to have reversed all of my bad blood work and I am enjoying living a healthful life. It is my hope that living such a life will result in a longer and more fruitful life than it otherwise would have been had I not changed the way I was living.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    In one word. Yes.
  • _IronDan_
    _IronDan_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I often get told that I must be proud of myself for losing so much weight but if I'm honest I'm actually ashamed that I had so much to lose in the first place! So while I am happy I've lost weight and probably extended my life I do have a certain amount of sadness for the years I wasted getting fat in the first place.

For some reason my ticker isn't showing but I've lost 100lbs
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    The weight loss hasn't made me any happier, but the things that came with the loss have.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30lb so far and it has made me happier.
    I have noticed I am a lot more relaxed within my own skin, I am more confident and I have more motivation to do things.
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Loosing weight does not make people happy. Any issues you had before weight loss are still there. Loosing weight can make you feel accomplished. Healthy and physically better. You may be more pleased with your appearance but weight loss does not solve all your problems.

actually weight loss made me happy! I am a happy person but the passed year I wasn't so much I was unhappy, uncomfy, now 1 stone 9lb lighter, 4 inches off waist and getting comfy in 14 I am back to being happy, so I think for some people weight and size is the only thing in life that they are unhappy about. ie Me :smile:
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I often get told that I must be proud of myself for losing so much weight but if I'm honest I'm actually ashamed that I had so much to lose in the first place! So while I am happy I've lost weight and probably extended my life I do have a certain amount of sadness for the years I wasted getting fat in the first place.

For some reason my ticker isn't showing but I've lost 100lbs

**THIS**
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Losing weight wasn't a happiness issue for me. I wasn't miserable that I was big. I just was.

I lost the weight to deal with health issues that came up from the extra weight.

Am I surprised by the results? yes, I didn't expect to get to where I am currently.
    Has it changed my outlook to Polly Perfect? Nope, but that had nothing to do with the weight loss, just not who I am
    Do I like this body? who wouldn't? but I liked my old body just fine too.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My happiness was never tied to my appearance, so looking better because of the weight loss, didn't make me happy.

I have always been a fairly happy person. However, after a spinal injury put me in a wheelchair for awhile and sidelined me for several years, the weight I gained over several years only exacerbated my disabilities. The pain, fatigue, and inability to do the things I used to be able to do, was very depressing.

After losing my mom to Diabetes in 2012, I finally got the motivation to lose the 80 lbs that had crept up over the years. I knew that if I didn't lose the weight, no matter what it took, I would end up with Diabetes myself, and I was determined not to put my husband and children thru the pain of watching me slowly kill myself.

So now, 50+ lbs lighter, I am much more ambulatory. Finding out what foods cause inflammation in my body, and staying away from them as much as possible, has greatly increased my quality of life.

I wasn't obese for most of my life, and the inner me, didn't match what I saw in the mirror.
    I will never be perfectly healthy and 30 again, but I am definitely happier that the outer me more closely matches the more active person inside again.

And since I had an awesome husband and kids before weight gain, during, and after weight loss, I wasn't looking for my life to drastically change with weight loss.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Everybody does it, thinking if they reach their goal it will change their life for the better. I'm just curious, has the weightloss made you more accepting of your own skin? Does it actually make you happy?

No! I started making changes for improved fitness so losing a bit of vanity weight was a pleasant bonus. I reached ideal weight for my gender and height then dropped a couple more pounds and may continue losing to get to the low end of my healthy range. I'm not a naturally 'happy' person. Losing weight didn't suddenly make be 'happy'. If anything, my exercise program has had more of a positive effect on my mood than losing weight.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it made me happy, but it certainly contributed greatly!

It's not just the weight loss, though - knowing you're making positive changes and getting healthy contributes to confidence, even if you haven't "arrived" appearance-wise.

I find I can wear shorts or a swimsuit and not be constantly thinking about what I look like. I can just do life that day. That's a huge mental victory! It came with the journey, but isn't solely attributable to the weight loss, per se.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say yes!
    Obviously weight loss hasn't solved all my problems, but I didn't expect it to.
    But I am happier with myself as far as my weight.
    After I had my Son, I was miserable. Nothing fit me correctly,I would leave the dressing room of shops crying. I felt horrible at 202 lbs.
    Now I'm 135 lbs and feel much better about myself :-)
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would say I'm happy I made my choice and went through with it. I'm unhappy that my journey has turned into some weird social experiment where I have noticed an increase in the number of people who have become much nicer to me yet when I was at my starting weight they treated me like I had some sort of infectious disease. Also while I'm happy with myself I'm upset that this whole journey is making me broke. My belt budget had to be increased and with weights going for a dollar a pound I'm not sure I'll ever have all the toys I want. Would I do it all over? Nope ain't nobody got time for that.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I am ecstatic. I have more confidence, my energy levels are higher than they've ever been, my skin is clearer, and my hair is shinier and grows faster. I think I'd say yes, I am truly happy about my weight loss and fitness progress.

ETA: I was happy before I lost weight, financially stable and in a happy loving relationship. Losing weight just made everything more enjoyable. That's not to say if I'd been unhappy when overweight, I would have suddenly been magically happy just from a change in my weight, and nothing else. Happiness doesn't work that way.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    The weight loss is nice, but not suffering from constant ankle pain makes me happy. Working on improving my levels of general badassery is also fun.
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has made me happier.
    This is mainly because I now feel more in control of how my body looks and how I physically feel. Plus I have made it to a "healthy" weight according to BMI, and learned how to make balanced meals in the process. My eating habits have changed drastically and I hope to be able to continue them for the rest of my life. Also, I started exercising (pilates) while I lost weight and now I'm stronger than ever, especially my core. Then again, I was happy before I lost weight. But now I'm happier because I know I'm treating my body well and learning to be someone my future children can look up to when it comes to healthy eating and exercise.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!