Has loosing the weight made you happy?

Options

Replies

• Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    So happy. Not jut because i lost the weight but because I no longer have diabetes, I no longer have sleep apnea, I can actually walk more than 10 steps without feeling like my back is going to give out. I can shop in a "normal plus size" store and do not have to order all my clothes online and just wear what will fit. I smile more, I laugh more, I love life more :) I was always happy but now everything is x10! I ran a 5K something I never ever thought I would do, I joined a crossfit class something I never thought i could do. My life is changing in so many positive ways. I still have 100+ lbs to lose but yes even now I am so very happy :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes. However. . . as much as I enjoy wearing skinny jeans and pencil skirts, I try to get my pleasure from how much energy I have and easily I can keep up with people 30 years younger than I am.

I cannot say I fit in pencil skirts, but I'm okay with not fitting in them. Am I happier then last year at this time? Yes. And the year before this, sure. I'm happier not falling asleep on the couch, having more energy allows me to enjoy more of life. So yes, happy, but not fitting in pencil skirts makes me happy too.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I wasn't unhappy before I started, so no, I'm not happier in a general sense. It does make me feel good to be accomplishing a goal I set for myself - so in that way it does make me happy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No.

Weight loss alone didn't make me happy. If anything I was even less happy with my body. This was partly because it took my brain awhile to catch up with what I was seeing in the mirror, and partly because I didn't take steps to retain my muscle while I was losing weight.

Now, a year after reaching goal weight, I'm much happier. I've focused more on athletic goals and positive self-talk, and I've had time to adjust to the way I look now. And once I started working out I started to feel better and my health improved.

I don't think it's wise to expect weight loss to fix whatever is wrong with your life. It can be part of your happiness but don't expect it to change everything in your life for the better.
  • KingOfTheGeeks
    Options
    I don't think anything external can truly make a person happy, and yes i believe our body is external. But i do believe that getting in shape and treating your body with respect brings a person a self respect and belief in there abilities that makes them happier within themselves.

I don't know if that makes a lick of sense !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Losing weight for many helps with health aspect, confidence and self esteem, but won't change other things that they may have unhappiness in like relationships, their job, family issues, etc.
    For many, it's the ONE thing they have total control over so some obsess about it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am happier. Amazingly, I am happier with "less"in my life in other areas. Iwill say if you have optimized your health and continue to do so the world looks better all the time.
  • Mitsuo8
    Mitsuo8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Eating right and exercising has made me happy. Losing weight actually has made me in the past (in my 20s) uncomfortable with the added attention from men. I did not like looking "hot" for strangers. I'm almost 50 now and am starting to get hit on again by men at the pool.

But as a baseline, mentally and chemically I am so extremely happy!!!

I can understand totally where you are coming from. When I was in high school I got negative attention from older men, that I hated! No 15/16 year old girl wants to be hit on by someone who looks as old as their Father or Grandfather! Once I put on 60+ pounds that attention stopped. I want to be healthier for my future ( since I am only in my 20's) but I know unfortunately idiots will probably be bothering me once again
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Everybody does it, thinking if they reach their goal it will change their life for the better. I'm just curious, has the weightloss made you more accepting of your own skin? Does it actually make you happy?
    I cannot begin to tell you how happy its made me.
    for starters, I now wear my beautiful stylish clothes...yeah vanity haha
    I wake up feeling happy, joyful, optimistic all because I am no longer fat.
    It haunted me, it made me sad, I did not like the way it made me think of myself..I am absolutely ecstatic its gone.
    Yes I am happy, very very happy
    Also, I motivate people, so many people, have joined my walk or stopped to ask how I lost all my weight..its a geat feeling when I hear people tell me they notice the weight I have lost...these are total strangers who see me walk past their homes to and from my walk this past year.
    Folks at work have joined me in choosing to live healthfully.
    I motivate people with what I do
    I inspire people to do the best they are capable of..just this morning a friend said to me...knowing a real person I know could do this, I know I can too.
    I may not have slain all my demons, by Jove they are running scared.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It's what I can now do because of the weight loss that makes me happier.

Next week I'm going to take my first boxing class, two yrs ago I couldn't walk without being puffed.

So yes I am happier ????
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Taking control of my health, eating healthy, exercising, and getting stronger every single day makes me happy. The weight loss is a side effect of me getting my butt in gear and stopping my nonsense self destructive behavior. Am I happier due to the weight loss? Yes. It makes everything in life easier from sitting in a chair to getting a smaller car to walking up stairs to getting off blood pressure meds to curing my sleep apnea and acid reflux. Life got better due to weight loss. But also life got better because I am living it, not sitting on the sideline.
  • gypsyGIRL159
    gypsyGIRL159 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    OH YES! YES! YES!!!!!! A thousand times YES!!!!!! I am 56 and since losing the extra person I was carrying around with me I feel as if I am like 15 or sweet 16 again!!!!! :flowerforyou:

I am Youthful, Happy, glad to wake up and live each NEW day! Happy to try on clothes.... and zip my pants and skirts, and change clothes and jump out of one outfit, and select another without having a nervous breakdown about not being able to FIND ANYTHING IN MY CLOSET THAT FITS!My body doesn't hurt, and I am off four of my medicines now! Praise God! I am no longer Diabetic.... I ate myself free of that disease!

I used to eat enough for a Family of Four.... everyday for years & years! I was Depressed, Anemic, had Thyroid Issues.... All I wanted to do was Eat & Sleep...... and watch TV and focus on what I was going to EAT NEXT! That was NOT LIVING!!!!!! That was pure Hell!

Now, I want MORE THAN OBESITY HAS TO OFFER!!!! MUCH MUCH MORE!

I was 405 lbs about 4 and a half years ago! I lost and gained and lost and gained doing the Yoyo thing!

Baby, I am a NEW PERSON NOW!

I do not care about so many things that bugged me back then!

I fretted and worried over waaaaay too many things.

Obese people worry about moving too much and dying when we really need to STOP ALL THE OVER EATING AND KNOW THAT WHEN OUR TIME COMES - ITS JUST OUR TIME.

I got real with myself and decided TO DO WHAT I COULD WHILE I COULD, AND STOP KIDDING MYSELF.

I am now my own BEST FRIEND!!!! Praise God!!!! I finally lost the weight for me, and God has given me the Tools to keep it off!!!! I AM EMPOWERED!

God saved me from myself.... because they were trying hard to get me to get a Scooter when I decided I wasn't going out like that!

We women are sooooo nurturing to others, and sometimes we must first take care of ourselves.

Thats what I finally did for me.... I MATTER TO MYSELF NOW! I AM A SPECIAL LADY, AND I FINALLY WOKE UP AND I THANK GOD IT WASN'T TOO LATE. I can run now..... and I do.... every other day!!!!! Why? Because I can!!!! LOL!!!! :wink: :blushing: :drinker:

So.......Yes, I feel so much better, and I look better.... and I will tell my success story to whoever will listen!

I AM A WALKING TALKING MIRACLE. :happy: :tongue:

I don't get out of bed to eat anymore...... :noway:

I GET UP TO LIVE OUT LOUD - AND MAKE GOD PROUD! :flowerforyou: :love: :laugh:
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm not at my goal yet but I have lost a whole human being and yes, my life has changed so much for the better.

I can do so much more. In the past year I have gone jet skiing for the first time (because the life jacket fit), rappelled down an office building (under the weight limit!), completed my first triathlon, went skydiving (because I was finally under the weight limit), and rode a roller coaster for the first time in 21 years. I'm finally LIVING as opposed to just existing :)

I think I am more accepting of my own skin, even the hangy bits/ loose skin because it beats the fatsuit I lived in 24/7. Sure, I am self-conscious about quite a few things, but at least I'm proud of others. I finally have a waist! I've never had one of those! Healthy eating makes my skin look great.

I am much happier now. Loose skin and all. When I look at this picture, the first thing I see is the GUNS:

trigunshow2_zpsd2ecc4b6.jpg

I just went back and read the other replies....HECK YEAH EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has been one of the most amazing experiences that I've ever had.

I've never in my life been as less than overweight. When I hit puberty in the sixth grade I was a size Women's 24W in pants. I was always the fat sister, the fat friend, and the girl that's nice but fat or has just a pretty face. High School was awful! I always stuck out in one way or the other. I got kicked off of rides at Amusement Parks, had to deal with chaffing inner thighs constantly, and sweat more than a *kitten* in church! But I'm getting of subject. '

So deciding enough is enough and actually losing the weight was what I thought at the time all I wanted. Until it happened and I realized that it wasn't about the weight really. It was about being a strong person and feeling beautiful regardless. In reality what actually makes me happy is becoming a stronger person outside and inside. Losing weight is great, but becoming someone that you thought at one point wasn't possible is amazing!
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is actually an interesting thread. I have a friend who lost over 100lbs but she wasn't happy because her breasts size also shrieked. She complains with me about them all the time :/
  • eels4peels
    Options
    This is actually an interesting thread. I have a friend who lost over 100lbs but she wasn't happy because her breasts size also shrieked. She complains with me about them all the time :/

I felt the same way! Then I discovered padded bras and life was good again!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Happy?
    No.

Happier?
    Yes.
  • eels4peels
    Options
    It's what I can now do because of the weight loss that makes me happier.

Next week I'm going to take my first boxing class, two yrs ago I couldn't walk without being puffed.

So yes I am happier ????

Couldn't have said it better. Yay for boxing!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The life I am living now is better so that makes me happier than I was before :)
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    No.
    Loosing 'weight' hasn't made me happy. However, losing bodyfat, getting toned and feeling the healthiest I have ever felt in my life has made me happy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!