Calories, Carbs, Fat, Sugar? I'm lost... help!

Options
hallsm1
hallsm1 Posts: 5 Member
I've been watching what I eat (I don't want to say dieting, because the goal is for this to be a lifestyle change) for the past three weeks. I've lost 5 pounds in that time. Today I weighed in (which I try to do only once a week) and was very disappointed to find that I'd GAINED weight... less than a pound, but still a gain. I'm an educated person, but I just don't get it! Can someone explain?

Come the day's end I have anywhere from 600-1,200 calories left on my tracker each day. I'm allowed a lot, because I'm a big girl. I eat plenty as I'm eating smarter, but I didn't net any loss this week. Why? I exercise 2-3 days a week. I do frequently go way over my sodium allowance, but rarely on carbs, fat or sugar. If I take in fewer calories than allowed for the day, but if I go over in other areas have I blown the day? HELP! I'm frustrated, but I don't want to give up.

Replies

• kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    I had the same problem this week. I worked hard only to gain 3 pounds. I figure it was the sodium in the two Asain dinners that I had the last two nights for dinner.. I am really just focusing on drinking lots of water this weekend and trying not to have any more high sodium Asian food for a few days.
    It WILL come off! Just keep doing what you are doing. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. You need to eat to lose weight.

Regarding the scale: the scale bounces up and down so do not worry about it. Over the course of a month, you will see a difference. How do get that much sodium with so few calories?
    Eat some real food. Get some fruit and vegetables. Cook some eggs and bacon or whatever. Your body with thank you for it.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Body weight is bound to fluctuate, espcially when sodium is involved! Water is your absolute best friend. Even though there is this goal to reach 8 glasses of 8oz a day, one should really drink based on ones body weight (0.5 ounces x weight / 8 ounces = cups per day) . Drinking enough gives you energy and helps keep you on track! And if you are looking to possibly slim down your sodium intake, you may want to think about doing more smoothies, raw meals, or just try to cut down on processed food :smile:

(P.S you can friend me if you'd like :flowerforyou: )
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    sodium will do it - the other thing that seems to catch folks, and is especially hard if you are eating out is measuring everything. Measure not guess on as much as you can. With some things it is not that big a deal - 2 ounces of spinach or 2 1/4 ounces is not much in calories.... but that 1/4 of an ounce in peanut butter is a whole different thing. I got caught with not realizing how much condiments were in calories..I knew the mayo and creamy dressings..but BBQ sauce surprised me. Just stick it out, as you said this is a life style change and there will be ups and downs... Also don't eat to far under the number of calories you are allotted as that seems to have a negative affect.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Eat whole foods. Change your diet slowly. More fruit and veg. More food made from scratch. Less condiments, less sodium fake food. You could probably eat the same amount of calories, change what you are eating and lose weight. After it stalls then you can play with cutting 200 cals or something.
  • hallsm1
    hallsm1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know that bbq, ketchup, etc. can have a lot of sugar. I guess I haven't paid enough attention to sodium! I am drinking lots of water around 12 glasses a day in most cases. I know I need to work harder at avoiding packaged foods.