Decadent Chocolate Mousse... 150 kcal!!

Options
nyiballs
nyiballs Posts: 147
Every so often a recipe comes along that will change your life. I play with lots of foods and recipes trying to make large, filling portions with either high nutrition and/or low caloric footprint (see my massive shrimp cake).

Anyways... I've been trying forever to nail this down, and I've finally hit it. This ENTIRE RECIPE is 300kcal. I use it to make two generous portions, but in moments of weakness, you can literally eat this whole thing and not bat an eye at your calorie count.

Without further ado:

Chocolate Dream Mousse:

Ingredients:
1 envelope Dream Whip brand whipped topping mix (picture at the bottom of the post)
1/2 cup cold skim milk
2 tsp vanilla
5 tbsp Hershey Unsweet Cocoa Powder (I don't use the special dark here)
1/2 cup Splenda or equivalent non-sugar sweetener (for you stevia or agave fans... do your conversions)
Another 1/8 cup of skim milk

Directions:
Make the Dream Whip as directed by beating the envelope of powder with 1/2 cup of cold skim.
Once the whip is up and firm, beat in the vanilla.
Slowly (and carefully) beat in the Sweetener (this and the cocoa can get messy)
Next, slowly beat in the cocoa powder

At this point, the mixture will be thick and almost like a doughy consistency. This is where that extra splash of skim milk comes it. Beat that in (too much milk will make it soupy, so I recommend a small amount (1/8 cup). If it's a little soupy, no big deal.

Pour into two cups and throw in the fridge to let set for a spell.

When you lick your spoon, I'll have two words for you... You're Welcome.

My next step will be a splash of rum extract... I have a feeling that will take us to an even higher level.

Let me know your thoughts when you try it! Super easy, and amazing!

Replies

• nyiballs
    Options
    Oops... here's what Dream Whip looks like

0004300025908_500X500.jpg
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I could get all over that.... Absolutely have to try this one.. Thank you sooooo much:drinker:
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. Gonna try this one for the next time. :)
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Going to make this right now! Found the Dream Whip at Walmart, (its in the baking aisle). Thank you so much for posting a picture of it :)
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Will try!
  • cljones302
    cljones302 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there is a better substitute, because the first two ingredients is sugar:

Sugar, Dextrose, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut And Palm Kernel Oils), Modified Corn Starch, Propylene Glycol Monostearate (Emulsifier), Acetylated Monoglycerides (Emulsifier), Sodium Silicoaluminate (Anticaking Agent), Mono- And Diglycerides (Emulsifier), Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Artificial And Natural Flavor, Yellow 5, Yellow 6.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Bump :drinker:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there is a better substitute, because the first two ingredients is sugar:

Sugar, Dextrose, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut And Palm Kernel Oils), Modified Corn Starch, Propylene Glycol Monostearate (Emulsifier), Acetylated Monoglycerides (Emulsifier), Sodium Silicoaluminate (Anticaking Agent), Mono- And Diglycerides (Emulsifier), Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Artificial And Natural Flavor, Yellow 5, Yellow 6.
    unless your diabetic, why?:noway:

good recipe OP!
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Yum, thanks SO much!! And rum extract sounds like a perfect addition! I can think of SO many ways to use this!

Adding Dream Whip to the shopping list! I may decide to get graham crackers, put this mixture between 2 halves and freeze!
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • nyiballs
    Options

At the end of the day, I don't know how many of us want to live a life of zero sugar. Sugar itself is not evil... it's not stalking you or waiting in the bushes. All things in moderation. If you can use an ingredient that has sugar, but not copious amounts and it fits in your calorie ranges and macros, then it shouldn't be a big deal.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Dream Whip is just a replacement for whipping cream. Make chocolate whipping cream and sweeten with whatever you like, to taste? I'd go with honey probably.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try this!
  • nyiballs
    Options
    Dream Whip is just a replacement for whipping cream. Make chocolate whipping cream and sweeten with whatever you like, to taste? I'd go with honey probably.

2 Cups of whipped cream is roughly 850 calories... 2 cups of dream whip is 160 calories...

2 Cups of Cool Whip Lite are 800 calories..
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I just finished eating this! I didn't have a mixer so I just mixed everything by hand and I got more of a pudding consistency so I didn't add the extra milk at the end. After being in the fridge for awhile it did kind of mousse up a bit. Very rich, very decadent indeed! It came out to 298 calories for the entire batch and I must say is great for that major chocolate craving one might have. Thanks op!
  • jjhintz
    jjhintz Posts: 17 Member
    Options

At the end of the day, I don't know how many of us want to live a life of zero sugar. Sugar itself is not evil... it's not stalking you or waiting in the bushes. All things in moderation. If you can use an ingredient that has sugar, but not copious amounts and it fits in your calorie ranges and macros, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

It's more so the "Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil" aka trans fat that are quite unhealthy.

Edit: I don't want to sound too negative as this is a great recipe and I'm sure it's pretty damn tasty. The trans fats are keeping me away from it at the moment. Maybe there is a solid substitute...
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    bump
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I must try this!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Bump