Loose skin after loosing weight? (help please)

Options
So, erm, this is kinda embarrassing but atm at 200+ pounds, i have a muffin top (overhang at the bottom of my stomach) yer, lovely, i know! I was wondering, when (AND IF) I lose weight and go down to say, a healthy dress size UK 10/12, will that overhang just be loose skin that looks even worse than it does now!?

Anyone been in my situation and lost weight....what happened?!

Thanks

I can provide pictures if none of you know what im on about!

Replies

• marinababy95
    Options
    you can buy an 'aussie' product, which is cream, that tightens loose skin! :)
  • sandeeface518
    sandeeface518 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i know exactly what you're talking about, I'm worried the extra skin is going to look worse. Everyone keeps telling me as long as the weight loss is slow (1-2 pounds a week) and you work on building up your core muscles the sagging skin shouldnt be too bad. I'm hopeful.
  • rachel303
    Options
    I used to be a UK size 26 and went down to a 12. about 10 years ago. I didn't have any overhanging skin, although I never got a completely flat stomach. I'm hoping the same thing happens this time
  • traceytoo
    traceytoo Posts: 163
    Options
    Hi .. I lost six stone a couple of years ago and believe me, there's no amount of exercise, creams that will get rid of that stomach - I ended up having a tummy tuck and I've never looked back.

putting jeans on and having a flat tummy is fabulous .. i've put 2 stone back on now and it doesn't look as great, but that's my fault, but still don't regret the surgery because evern after losing all that weight I couldn't wear jeans with a little t-shirt or jumper and once I had the op I could and once I loes the extra 2 stone I gained, I'll be able to again :-)))))

Good luck xx
  • becci92
    becci92 Posts: 30
    Options
    hmm thanks girls! Is suppose its like stretch marks, it either happens or it doesnt!

Using a cream is also a good idea!
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    you will never have the perfect model body, but it shouldnt be to bad. i'm in the same boat, 200++++ lol and 4 kids have done a number on my tummy. i know i'll always have loose skin but im ok with it, cause at least i'll be healthy.
  • becci92
    becci92 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi .. I lost six stone a couple of years ago and believe me, there's no amount of exercise, creams that will get rid of that stomach - I ended up having a tummy tuck and I've never looked back.

putting jeans on and having a flat tummy is fabulous .. i've put 2 stone back on now and it doesn't look as great, but that's my fault, but still don't regret the surgery because evern after losing all that weight I couldn't wear jeans with a little t-shirt or jumper and once I had the op I could and once I loes the extra 2 stone I gained, I'll be able to again :-)))))

Good luck xx

Ahh, this i the reply i wasnt hoping for haha...but its good to hear from someone with the experience!

shall i start saving my money now then!?:laugh:
  • cragmor
    cragmor Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What I have read is that your skin is an organ. It will expand and shrink as needed. If you gradually lose weight, the skin should do a pretty good job of getting back into place, without having to deal too much with a lot of hanging skin. Lose it fast, and it should snap back into place, but there will be a time you have that skin there.
    Here is the article I read.

How to Tighten Loose Skin After Weight Loss
    Episode 10: July 2, 2010
    Diet | Weight Loss
    by Ben Greenfield

If you’ve lost a lot of weight recently, or you’ve been following the tips you’ve read from the Get-Fit Guy, such as Which Workout Burns The Most Fat? or How to Tone and Lose Fat in One Body Part , then you may have noticed that you have a bit of loose skin hanging around. From extra skin under the arms to a hanging pouch around the stomach, loose skin can pose an embarrassing problem, especially if weight loss has been achieved rapidly.

In this article you’ll learn why skin gets lose, how to tighten loose skin after fat loss, and you’ll also find out which creams, medical procedures, nutrition tactics and exercises will successfully tighten loose skin.

Why Skin Gets Loose After Weight Loss

Since it has to stretch as we move, grow, and--as in the case of weight loss-- shrink, skin is an incredibly elastic living organ. Yes, that’s right, skin is not just one big piece of rubber that covers the entire body, but is instead an organ, and just like all the other organs in your body, it is comprised of cells.

Different layers of your skin have different types of cells, and though the skin cells on the outer part of your skin (the epidermis) are constantly being lost and replaced with new cells, the skin cells under the epidermis are a bit more permanent. These layers of the skin, called the dermis and subdermis, are made up of elastic connective tissues, fibers, blood vessels and all sorts of components that can stretch or contract depending on how they’re treated.

What Happens to Your Skin When You Lose Weight?

When you lose weight, and especially when you lose weight very quickly, these elastic components of your skin not only lose the layers of fat that keep them stretched out over your body, but they also don’t have much time for their elasticity to adapt to your new shape.

In addition to weight loss, age, poor nutrition, dehydration, excessive sun exposure, and smoking can all affect the elasticity of the skin and give you that elephant-like appearance you probably don’t want.

How to Tighten Loose Skin After Weight Loss

As you lose fat and your loose skin begins to appear, the first rule is: don’t panic! Because it is a living organ, your skin will slowly return to a shape that fits your new body. But since that process can take up to two years, here are steps you can take to make your skin tighten more quickly:

Tip #1: Don’t Lose Weight Too Quickly
    Crash diets and excessive amounts of time spent exercising can rapidly shed both muscle and fat, resulting in a double-whammy on your skin--the supportive underlying muscular structure that holds skin against your body is lost, as is the fat that keeps the skin stretched out. Quick and dirty tip for not losing weight too quickly: Aim for 1-2 pounds of fat loss per week, and make sure your weight loss program includes weight lifting so that you do not lose lean muscle. Check out more weight lifting and strength training tips here.

Tip #2: Stay Hydrated

Attend to your hydration needs. Water is a crucial component of maintaining skin elasticity. From both food and drink, you should be taking in at least two liters of water each day. A wonderful resource for learning more about proper hydration is this article from Nutrition Diva: How Much Water Should I Drink?

Tip #3: Eat Properly

Two necessary ingredients that keep skin plump and elastic are collagen and elastin. Protein-rich foods such as cottage cheese, milk, legumes, tofu, beans, seeds, nuts, and fish all contain collagen and elastin forming components, as well as oils to help maintain healthy skin. Quick and dirty protein tip: For optimum absorption, squeeze 100-200 calories of these protein sources in immediately after your workout. For more on what to eat when working out, see my article on what to eat before and after exercising.

Tip #4: Take Care of Your Skin

Nourish and care for your skin. Daily exfoliation can help to remove dead skin cells and increase skin circulation. A hot bath with sea salts and minerals can improve skin tone. Skin tightening creams with herbal formulas and ingredients such as aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, yeast extract, soy protein, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin A can help to hydrate and increase collagen and elastin formation in skin.

Stay away from harsh detergents, such a sulfates in soaps, shampoos and dishwashing liquids, limit your sun exposure and stay away from tanning booths, and limit your exposure to hot and chlorinated water—all of these things will decrease skin elasticity. Quick and dirty tip: If you swim for fitness, use soap and shampoos that are specially designed to remove chlorine.

When to Consider Surgery for Loose Skin

Skin can only be stretched so far before it looses some of its ability to snap back. If you’ve had a 9-month pregnancy, then you’ll be able to tighten your loose skin. But if you’ve carried a hundred or more extra pounds for many years, you may be a candidate for plastic surgery to tighten and lift loose skin. This fix should only be used in extreme cases, and I should warn you: my clients who have undergone this operation have actually gained more fat afterwards while they were rehabilitating from surgery!

Bottom Line

As mentioned earlier, elasticity of your skin will naturally decrease with age. Though you can address issues such as not losing weight too quickly, staying properly hydrated, eating the right foods, and caring for your skin, you simply have no control over your age! Quick and dirty tip: Rather than letting age stress you out, you should focus on the things over which you have control—like exercising and eating right—and you’ll find that you always look good.

Whether you have a kangaroo pouch, an orangutan chin, or elephant legs, you can use the tips in this article to tighten loose skin or prevent loose skin in the first place.

http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I have a loose skin FAQ in my blog :)
  • thatgirl17
    Options
    Good Question! Thanks for asking, I am in the same boat and always wondered. Fingers crossed that I get lucky and everything goes back where it belongs, LOL.
  • traceytoo
    Options
    I think some people are lucky and it goes back, but I wasn't one of those, I think having yo'yo dieted since I was 16 Inow 43) it takes it toll that and having children .. your skin loses it's elasticity, add stretch marks into the equation and you're really asking it to do the impossible.

Whatever you decide .. good luck xx
  • traceytoo
    Options
    Hey Becci I just noticed that you are only 18 .. I think in that case you ahve a good chance of your tummy going back in, if you 've not had children and you exercise loads of sit ups and stuff you might be in with a chance of having a flat tummy - good luck x
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, BUT:

Skin is pretty elastic. Some people who drop weight quickly do have some lose skin, but I would so rather be a healthy weight with a little flabby skin then overweight and at risk for a heart attack. Don't worry about it so much!! Please don't let it discourage you from actually losing the weight.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I lost 114lb over the course of 3 years and the only complaint I have is the skin on my stomach! I also have 4 kids, that alone did a number on my stomach! I would like to eventually get a tummy tuck.