harboiled eggs?

Options
How many hard boiled eggs are good for you a day? I know they are a source of protein, but someone said they have a lot of cholesterol...so is 1 a day good, or more?

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of more recent studies have shown that dietary cholesterol does not necessarily contribute to ones blood cholesterol. Eat up!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    depends on what study you read or which doctor or book you believe. none is good according to some, 2 egg yolks per week according to others, and still others day it doesn't matter.
  • rugrat1mi
    rugrat1mi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat a hard-boiled egg most weekdays and a couple of fried eggs on the weekend and my cholesterol level is very good. Try to find farm-fresh eggs from a local producer if you can. Store-bought commercially produced eggs just don't compare.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    How many hard boiled eggs are good for you a day? I know they are a source of protein, but someone said they have a lot of cholesterol...so is 1 a day good, or more?
    It depends on what you like.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    2 egg yolks is generally my limit, although I'll occasionally have 3. If you don't have any reason to watch your cholesterol intake (you may want to check with your doctor if you're not sure ), egg yolks are extremely nutritious. I recommend buying omega-3 rich ones.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I try to upper my protein intake with eggs since I really love to eat them, but on these days I often get over my cholesterol limits. Hitting all these macros right is a pain in the "where the sun never shines"....:embarassed: :ohwell:

Well, as others said; use as you like if you don't have to watch your cholesterol or keep it balanced.....
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't limit my egg intake. If I really need a lighter calorie day, I might have an omelette with two eggs plus three whites but I rarely limit or toss yolks, to be honest.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have chickens, so it's not unusual for me to have several eggs a day. Today I had two scrambled for breakfast and a boiled one as a snack. My cholesterol is normal, although I'm 55. My husband eats the same and has high cholesterol. So do my (young adult) kids and they're low. ALL of us have higher 'good' cholesterol than 'bad', but our totals differ.

It depends on lots of factors. Certainly research I've read (Harvard Health Study) says that it has a limited effect on blood cholesterol and one a day isn't a problem for anyone. How you go after that probably depends on your genetics, exercise pattern, and everything else you eat.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    dietary cholesterol =/= blood cholesterol
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg most days. My husband though has to watch his cholesterol levels and therefore consumes yolks less frequently (couple times a week tops). I have an MFP friend who has done experiments on himself and says that he has demonstrated that eggs absolutely do increase serum cholesterol levels. I'll see if I can pester him into commenting, or if not, provide a link to his work.
  • activefatgirl
    activefatgirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just started eating two eggs a day for breakfast Mon-Fri, yesterday I had a begel and to I went back to eggs because I didn't know what else to eat. I know I will have to swich it up soon, but for now I'm its working.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    dietary cholesterol =/= blood cholesterol

This, they're totally different.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    50 ... just ask Cool Hand Luke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDWczgxsSaM
  • Phatgirl420
    Phatgirl420 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have been eating one for breakfast, and at least 1 more at some point in the day...ya think 2 hard boiled eggs a day is bad, or should I cut it back to 1? I just like that they are a source of protein, yummy, and low in calories :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I have been eating one for breakfast, and at least 1 more at some point in the day...ya think 2 hard boiled eggs a day is bad, or should I cut it back to 1? I just like that they are a source of protein, yummy, and low in calories :)

I eat at LEAST two eggs every. single. day. Two scrambled eggs every morning, and hard boiled eggs if and when I make them. My cholesterol levels are tested every year (family history of this crap, ugh), and my numbers are always good (not great, but given the genetics and my love of all things yolky, this is a good thing).

Of course, the plural of anecdote is not data, so take my story for what it's worth. Unless your health screens tell you otherwise, enjoy your egg yolks as you wish :flowerforyou:
  • latoyaburnett
    latoyaburnett Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 3 to 6 eggs in a day. Yes they are high in cholesterol, but if you are eating healthy and don’t suffer with cholesterol issues prior to adding additional eggs then you should be fine. I had a complete physical and my numbers were good, and was advised by my doctor and personal trainer to eat more hard boiled eggs because if the benefits ( muscle gain, quick snack, packed with protein, improves eyesight hair and nails, and promotes healthy bones):happy: I normally eat 2 for breakfast 1 or 2 in a salad during the day and sometimes post workout ill eat 1 or 2
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 2 eggs when I do eat eggs. I wouldn't really suggest eating more then 2 because it seems to much in proportion
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I assume it's bad, but ask the doctor. They keep learning new stuff about eggs and changing the rules. I can't keep up. I feel you, though!!

I can't give them up and if I have them in the house, I'll eat an egg several times a week, yolk and all. I've pretty much stopped trying not to have eggs. :( But I do limit it to 12 in a month, tops.

Eggs. They're like crack for me. And they add color to salads, especially if there are raspberries in it - the red, yellow and white...it's pretty. :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg most days. My husband though has to watch his cholesterol levels and therefore consumes yolks less frequently (couple times a week tops). I have an MFP friend who has done experiments on himself and says that he has demonstrated that eggs absolutely do increase serum cholesterol levels. I'll see if I can pester him into commenting, or if not, provide a link to his work.

Dietary cholesterol certainly does equate to serum cholesterol, but the question is how much and is that really bad? I'll expand later but here's the shortish answers... Existing studies on 2 - 6 eggs per day do not show significant contributions towards cholesterol but these studies don't account for difference in egg consumption through bread, pasta, ice cream, etc. They also don't account for total intake of saturated fat and cholesterol so for example eggs may be replaced with bacon and it's no wonder why studies say that eggs don't raise cholesterol. Even high organizations will say that dietary saturated fat and cholesterol only play a 15% - 25% role in serum cholesterol but this is just averages based on the average person with the average diet. It doesn't mean you can eat a ton of both and walk away without raising your cholesterol. If that were true people wouldn't be able to raise and drop their cholesterol significantly with diet and people do all the time - it just takes drastic changes.

So cholesterol isn't really a good indicator of cardiovascular disease. It's based on the lipid hypothesis from the 1950's which is under heavy scrutiny. Over 80% of people who have incidence of CVD have normal cholesterol (note some are lowered through medication). Cholesterol is one of seven dependent risk factors the AHA defines that are part of overall health to include cholesterol, blood pressure, diet, exercise, tobacco use, weight, and fasting glucose. If just your cholesterol is high, for example, you're at much lower statistical risk for CVD than an overweight diabetic who has normal cholesterol.

Thanks. Your response is in line with my idea that I can eat eggs fairly freely as long as my cholesterol levels stay low, and limiting them if my levels were to go up.

When you say that eggs may be replaced by bacon, I assume you mean that they asked participants to drop eggs from their diet and didn't see changes in serum cholesterol because participants may have substituted another satiating food like bacon for the dropped eggs for that portion of the study. Yes?

Beyond our scope, but I'm also interested in the idea that statins may lower serum cholesterol but not necessarily reduce your risk for CVD to the same degree. I've heard that elsewhere too. Whatever the reason, it seems like a good idea to increase your cardio and watch that diet instead of relying on meds.