restless legs

Options
An hour after I go to bed I'm up with restless legs. This has been going on for a week or so. I've increased my magnesium and have been doing a little stretching. I walk 5-10 miles per day (I'm a pet sitter) and I've been taking an water aerobics class 2-3 x/week. Any other suggestions? I'm going to try stretching more tonight.

Replies

• tammys_changing
    Options
    I had this to. Increased running helped settle mine. I notice if I don't run for f few days, it, comes back. :(
  • chamberlain3
    chamberlain3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too! One thing I have noticed is if I take anything with diphenhydramine (benadryl, tylenol pm or unisom) it is worse! Hot baths with epsom salts bring me some relief. Also, I use an acupressure mat on the backs of my legs.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have that sensation when I am stressed out. I haven't seen any co-relation to exercise yet. As far as I know, it is also a neurological disorder (I used to work in a sleep-lab) and we had some patients with it. If it really keeps you from getting enough rest, there are medications for it.
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had this for months and it was driving me insane. Turns out it was a sign of hypothyroidism. Once I got on the medication and balanced my hormone levels, it went away. Maybe have yours checked?
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I take pills for it...gabapentin...restless leg syndrome.
    Not saying that's what it is you have. Just a thought.
    I know how annoying it can be.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I had this when I was pregnant. It was terrible. Usually a really firm leg massage with lotion calmed things down. My mom is on daily medication for hers. I'm sorry, not getting enough sleep is such a bad feeling.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Sometimes potassium helps with restless legs. My doctor put me on Requip for a while because my RLS was so terrible.
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My naturopath gave me a magnesium supplement. It took a couple of weeks but the RLS subsided. I have mild RLS.

Also, make sure you don't get a magnesium oxide supplement (that can cause the trots.)
  • Andromeda222
    Andromeda222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    True RLS is a neurological disorder as is its sleeping cousin, Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (which can be disruptive to sleep). Magnesium may be helpful. Additionally, anemia exacerbates RLS/PLMD so make sure you aren't anemic. I have both RLS and PLMD. Since I seem to always be anemic I take iron according to my physician's directions. Additionally, for my RLS/PLMD I take Neurontin and Klonopin, which is an addictive Benozodiazapien so try to stay away from it if you can. I can not take the usual dopamine agonists (Requip, Mirapex, etc.) prescribed for it.

The best information for causes and home to pharmacological treatments can be found at the Restless Leg Syndrome Foundation (they recently changed the name).

http://www.rls.org/
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that tip. Bloodwork is due soon.
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all those tips. With the heat and past bloodwork I do supplement magnesium and potassium. I'm trying to stay off meds. I already take Celebrex for my knees and the side effects lists are just ridiculous!

Slow increases in magnesium supplements helps to avoid the trots. :-)
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I feel for you. I suffer from it on and off. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when I'll have it. It may be when I'm stressed. It may be when our bedroom is too hot. Luckily it has been a while since I had it because it is horrible. I find getting up and walking around for a bit helps ease it, but this disrupts my sleep. :( horrid thing.