Good ground turkey burger recipe?

Options
I recently started cooking with ground turkey because I realized I was eating way too much red meat. It tastes very different than beef so I have been trying to do "tacos, meatballs, and burgers" with a twist! That way I don't feel as if I am eating a crappy beef burger but associate an entirely different taste with the turkey version. Any good recipes for turkey burger cooking or topings? I would like to incorporate veggies and cheese in some way.

Replies

• stacibal
    stacibal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is the turkey burger recipe I use. I make up extras and freeze so they are ready anytime!
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=350695
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This is the turkey burger recipe I use. I make up extras and freeze so they are ready anytime!
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=350695

Looks yummy, I'm going to try it.... thanks!
  • heather_renee
    heather_renee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mix your ground turkey with salsa (I use Italian Rose Fresh Salsa, found at Sam's Club) and some Fat Free Mozzarella cheese ~ shape into patties ~ YUM
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific recipe but I know that adding shredded zucchini to a turkey burger helps keep it moist - plus adds some veggies in there.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This recipe is great! The lime and cilantro give great flavor. The mayo keeps it moist on the grill.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/cilantro-lime-turkey-burgers.html

I also made another one with lemon zest, parsley and oregano it was good too.
  • WoodsyMama
    WoodsyMama Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The next time you make Turkey Burgers, be sure to add a little bit of olive oil to the mix. This will keep the patty nice and moist, especially if you're grilling them. Also, add chopped up fresh herbs for extra flavor, such as chives, parsley, basil or whatever else you like. This tip was found in one of my Cooking Light magazines and it really works. What a difference!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I got this from www.whole living.com

My sister gave me this after she made this and fell in love with it. I liked incorporating the. Engines in here.. We ate them between whoa stead sandwich thins.. Hope you enjoy
    Grilled Burgers with Garden Vegetables
    Email
    Fave it
    Print

Per serving: 175 calories; 25 g protein; 11 g fat; 4 g carb; 1 g fiber.
    Expand
    Body+Soul, September 2005
    Add to Shopping List
    Ingredients
    2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
    1 cup basil leaves finely minced
    1 fresh red chili pepper finely minced
    3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt, to taste
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 large green zucchini cut into 1-inch-thick slices
    2 medium tomatoes, preferably heirloom or orange cut into 1-inch-thick slices
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Toasted whole-wheat bread or hamburger buns (optional)
    Directions
    Preheat the grill. In a large mixing bowl, mix meat with basil leaves, red chili pepper, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, gently toss zucchini and tomatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and vinegar.

Divide meat mixture into 8 portions and flatten with your hands to make a patty. Grill hamburgers until meat is cooked through, turning once, about 2 minutes each side.

Grill zucchini and tomatoes, turning them frequently until zucchini softens and both zucchini and tomatoes are browned on both sides.
    To serve, place hamburger between grilled vegetables with or without toasted bread or buns.
  • easeintofitness
    Options
    I love all of these. Thanks everyone!
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I made stuffed turkey burgers on the grill a couple weekends ago with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and fresh basil leaves. It was super flavorful
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Mine is super easy, we make these probably at least every other week. I use 1.25 lbs ground turkey, one packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix, and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix together, form 5 patties. They're 258 calories each. Add a low-calorie bun and the whole thing is under 350.
  • laura3773
    laura3773 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We were over at a friend's house for a kids & parent's playdate a couple nights ago. They were making burgers, and I was just going to use it as my cheat meal, but because they knew I was watching my calories, they mixed the ground beef with the ground turkey half and half. You literally couldn't even tell there was turkey in it after it was grilled up. I think we all decided to do that in the future regardless of dieting because it was so good. So if you try these recipes and none work out, try mixing your meat. It'll still help you reduce your intake and calories and fat, but could help you with the flavor.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    We were over at a friend's house for a kids & parent's playdate a couple nights ago. They were making burgers, and I was just going to use it as my cheat meal, but because they knew I was watching my calories, they mixed the ground beef with the ground turkey half and half. You literally couldn't even tell there was turkey in it after it was grilled up. I think we all decided to do that in the future regardless of dieting because it was so good. So if you try these recipes and none work out, try mixing your meat. It'll still help you reduce your intake and calories and fat, but could help you with the flavor.

That's awesome! Definitely trying this when I'm forced to compromise with my husband haha. I don't mind turkey and I use it for everything that uses ground beef but he hates it. I think this will work!
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    These all sound awesome. Thanks everyone!!
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mghuss
    mghuss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We use ground chicken to make our burgers and meatloaf now for the same reason! My fiance's new favorite meal is actually one of the burger recipes I've tried:

Sriracha Ranch Chicken Burgers
    1 lb ground chicken
    1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
    Sriracha sauce
    Low-fat or non-fat Ranch dressing
    Spinach
    Tomato
    Low-calorie hamburger bun

Mix the ground chicken with the ranch mix and form patties. Grill or cook in a skillet until cooked throughout. Place patty on a bun and top with sriracha, ranch, spinach, and tomato slices!

They're very, very good! :) And they reheat well, I usually make a bunch and take them for my lunches at work.