I NEEDMOTIVATION!!

Options
Hi, I am new to myfitness pal and I believe 2011 is my yr for changes,I have tried every diet u could think of andI I have reached that point in my life where enough is enough, I want to be happy with myself, I am way to young to look and feel this way. So I open to any tips on food or working out.

Replies

• Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    water lots of water :)
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    welcome to MFP, I think you're going to like it here! you'll get lots of help and support from the members, I think that's why it works so well. It's like a home away from home :-)

The site works out how many calories you should eat based on your goals (1-2 lbs a week loss), if you stick to your calories and maybe do a little exercise you'll lose weight. It seems so easy and it is. I also tried everything in the past, I was never able to stick to it or make it a life change, but it's so different with MFP, I've been doing this since August and it really is a way of life.

There are some cool websites out there is you need to find recipes, like www.hungrygirl.com www.skinnytaste.com and members often swap receipes here too.

I wish you all the luck in the world on your weight loss journey :-)
  • melissarforlife
    melissarforlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would start doing more physically, drink at least 8/ 8ozs of water and paying attention to what your eating. I have a higher protein diet because I am carb sensative..so I eat less carbs. I need to lose 50 lbs and I have decided that like you, this is my year!
    This site is fantastic! Add me as a friend if you'd like and we will do this together! Welcome!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I recommend this to pretty much everyone because it makes "meal planning" less of a daunting task and helps me get within my cals with pretty little effort. It's flexible enough and even when I go out to dinner or something, I stick to this for my other meals so that I know I'm still "ok" and in moderation:

Breakfast - something protein based, usually eggs with veggier or toast/banana with peanut butter + coffee
    Snack- Veggie + hummus or light ranch dressing
    Lunch- Fruit + Sandwich, Salad or soup
    Snack- Greek Yogurt (SUPER filling and you can eat it slowly to keep your hands busy)
    Dinner- 3-4 oz of meat, 1 cup grains, 1-2 servings of veggie of choice
    Snack- small piece of chocolate or 1 oz of chips/pretzels

Make sure to measure everything for the first few weeks (that will be time consuming) but eventually, you get pretty good at eyeballing a correct portion size and it all becomes habit.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is great and they will help you with the 'to-dos'.

I wanted to add that you need to change your way of thinking about this change you want to make.

You want to change the word 'diet' to 'New Lifestyle'. This is not something you will do and then stop once you get close to your goals. This is now and forever.

Don't be scared. This is not a bad thing. You will find you are not deprived or left wanting.

It may take awhile to get into the groove, but you are here and you are ready to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

This is the first day of the rest of your 'New' life, and you will find you don't want the old one back.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Tash_Bgosh
    Tash_Bgosh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and lower calories. If you never excerised before, now is the time to start. Rememeber, something is better than nothing. Take is easy and just get into a routine of at least going.

Everyday I tell myself today is the first day (of course its not really). That way I have too try to do something to make myself healtheir becasue today is the FIRST DAY! Noone wants to fail on the first day! lol
  • melanie76
    melanie76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Today is also my first day here, my title was Help Needed, lol. I am right here with you. I have never joined a group before but I already feel so much better. Everyone is so nice. I think this is going to be great for us!
  • derbygirl90
    Options
    Not going to lie, I love going to the gym. It is the best release from stress. However going to the gym everyday is booooring. So I also play roller derby and ski in the winter and find some other activity in the summer. I think I might also have to joing a bowling league.
    Find something you like to do - being on a team of some sort also helps since teammates will keep you accountable. If it's fun, it won't feel like a chore.
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    I've been down the same road myself more times than I can count! In September I reached the enough is enough point. My epiphany was that I am not defined by a number, I am way more than my looks or weight, but I want to look in the mirror & like what I see. There is no quick, easy, no work miracle even though the commercials tell us that all the time. That said :smile: I started journaling absolutely everything I put in my mouth and shopped for more fruits and veggies. I'm totally hooked on Greek yogurt & smoothies. I drink lots and lots and lots of water. I upped my amount of exercise and the number of days a week I exercised and quit with the excuses. "I can & I will" is my mantra. I eat most of my exercise calories even though it means some days I'm eating almost 2000 calories, but they are 'good' calories. Your body needs fuel, you can't starve it, so if your daily goal is set at 1200 don't stay at it if you've exercised a lot. Set small goals, the weight wasn't gained overnight, it won't be lost overnight, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Reward yourself in some way as you reach your goal. After 5 pounds I bought a fun new workout top a size too small, :smile: I didn't take it out of the bag until I lost 10, didn't try it on until 15, & wore it to work out at 20. You will slip occasionally, but my trainer even told me I need to slip once in awhile because I've been so rigid. The key is not to 'slip' every day. Stick with MFP, the people here are so supportive and they all understand what we are going through and where we are coming from. Gosh, I hope this doesn't sound 'preachy' but it's just some of the things I've done since I began my 'final' journey down this road in September. Good luck, we're here for you:flowerforyou:
  • Spikeyangel
    Options
    Hi
    I only joined a couple of days ago... think the site is fab!

Apparently (according to the boffins) diets fail because

You diet and exercise alone
    and you don't do healthy eating and exercise long enough
    for it to become a habit!

Sounds reasonable enough...
    I think you will get plenty of support from this site.

:)
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'll add my $0.02 here.... I'm new to this site as well. I'm 42, 150 pounds after losing 15 recently, I'm 5' 6", and in BETTER SHAPE today than I have been in years.

You will have off days, and that's ok. But, get back on schedule the following day.
    You'll cave in and have cheat meals or snacks, and that's ok, every once in a while. But, get back on schedule the following day.
    You'll plateau, and that's ok. Check your exercise, check your diet, be HONEST with yourself about what you're doing & eating, and you'll keep moving forward.
    You have to be serious about the diet as much or more as the exercise. It isn't easy, it's a lifelong journey. But once you start, and you see progress, hopefully you'll be encouraged to continue.
    Don't focus entirely on the number on a scale; it is a guide, but pay attention to how your clothes fit and how you feel. You should have more energy, a little more room in the jeans, and a bigger (or at least growing) smile on your face. :smile:

Best of luck to you!