RUNNING CONFUSION

Options
I love to run but I hear people blog about "today is my rest day..." should i rest? I run about 3 miles per day, sometimes not everyday (But I ran 3 miles for the past 3 days in a row) but at least 4 times per week! I also do boot camp 2x a week! Is this too much?

Replies

• lnjwilliams1432
    Options
    I love to run but I hear people blog about "today is my rest day..." should i rest? I run about 3 miles per day, sometimes not everyday (But I ran 3 miles for the past 3 days in a row) but at least 4 times per week! I also do boot camp 2x a week! Is this too much?
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scientific or professional answer, but I do know that I've heard it's good to have "rest days" now and then in between workouts, etc. so that your body can rest. I'm sure there's someone out there that can explain why, but I have heard of this. I remember when I picked up my Turbo Jam dvd set and the exercise plan outlined in the kit has specified rest days built in. I tend to do 30 minute cardio x3 or x4 days a week -- Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (and then sometimes on the weekend if we're not crazy busy) so that there's a day in between for resting.

I wish I knew the specifics on why this was beneficial -- but it is something I've heard of, too!

If anyone can explain better, please do! Inquiring minds want to know!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Most people recommend one day off a week. I do cardio up to 6x a week, weights up to 3x a week, and yoga up to 3x a week. On my day off, I walk. The idea is to give your body a rest. If you are pushing everyday, you need a day off. If there are days you are going for a very easy jog, then you probably don't. Muscles need rest to repair, but that doesn't mean you have to lay in bed all day.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    For cardio type workouts, it all depends on how hard you are pushing your body, and what kind of surfaces you are running on. For instance, if you are lucky enough to live close to one of those tracks made of recycled tire rubber, then you can pretty much run every day without a ton of body shock. But Road runners should take 1 to 2 days off a week unless you really are just doing a medium-lite jog. Again, if you're not feeling weak or any pain, then there's not much reason to rest, but if you feel any side effects (leg, back, foot pain) or if you are feeling weak. You should lay off for a day or two and see.
  • lnjwilliams1432
    Options
    The middle school has one of those tracks but for the past few weeks they have been making repairs so i have changed to road running! The only pain i feel is in my knees, which has lightened up in the past week, i think it was from the MILLIONS of lunges/squats from bootcamp (it has been 10 days since i have made it to bootcamp) so i dont think my knee pain was from running! As far as my speed goes i run 10 min miles-i know that isnt very good to most runners but 3 months ago when i lived in Denver i couldnt even do a quarter mile w/o stopping so i am pretty excited about it...i dont want to injure myself:smile: thanks for the help!
  • banks1850
    Options
    Hey, everyone has a different level. Considering where you were, I think that a 10 minute mile is GREAT! when I say medium-lite, I mean for you. In other words, if your heart rate is in the 65 to 75% range that's probably in the medium-light to medium range. And probably won't bother your body too much.
  • lnjwilliams1432
    Options
    thanks a lot!! I see you on a lot of these posts! u must be like super super smart!! LOL :wink:
  • banks1850
    Options
    thanks a lot!! I see you on a lot of these posts! u must be like super super smart!! LOL :wink:

LOL, I wish.
  • whtflds
    whtflds Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I run about three days a week two miles a session. I am getting board with it and should probably switch to the eliptical at the gym. I have been going strong with the running for about 5 months. I don't really like the aerobics. I have been thinking of getting a personal trainer although they are expensive, I was hoping that someone could tell me their experience with a trainer.