Getting my wisdom teeth out, any soft food suggestions?

Options
TehBuggers
TehBuggers Posts: 12 Member
Next week I'll be getting my wisdom teeth out. My dentist says I'll probably have to stick to soft foods for at least five days. I'll be having mostly soups, smoothies, yogurt, and mashed potatoes. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Preferably healthy of course, and good protein levels would be great too

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Beans, Tofu, Fish, Cottage Cheese, Eggs, Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Protein Shakes, veggies that are canned are usually soft (peas, green beans) except corn, sometimes a little chewy.
    Mashed cauliflower, rice is usually soft, tapioca or rice pudding, jello, spaghetti squash, pudding, oatmeal, watermelon, kiwi, banana, raspberries, custard, popsicles, fudgsicles, soft cheese (velveeta, single slices)
    The list is endless!
  • aelfrice
    aelfrice Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The above suggested foodstuffs are all soft, but I wasn't able to move from a puree diet for over a week after having my last two wisdom teeth out. I turned to my favorite lentil soup recipe by Alton Brown and pureed it in my blender. It's flavorful, has a great and tweakable macronutrient composition, and is loaded with micros. I survived off this stuff for three weeks along with green yogurt smoothies. I got so used to the stuff that I still make the soup every two months and freeze it for when I need some filling and low calorie dense deliciousness. The recipe can be found here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lentil-soup-recipe.html
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I remember it was horrible. I ate only pureed stuff and liquids for a week. :sad:
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about getting adequate nutrition during your recovery you might also consider temporarily eating baby food.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    The above suggested foodstuffs are all soft, but I wasn't able to move from a puree diet for over a week after having my last two wisdom teeth out. I turned to my favorite lentil soup recipe by Alton Brown and pureed it in my blender. It's flavorful, has a great and tweakable macronutrient composition, and is loaded with micros. I survived off this stuff for three weeks along with green yogurt smoothies. I got so used to the stuff that I still make the soup every two months and freeze it for when I need some filling and low calorie dense deliciousness. The recipe can be found here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lentil-soup-recipe.html

I absolutely LOVE Alton Brown and am sad he no longer is doing "Good Eats." That lentil soup recipe looks REALLY good and I'm going to make some...thank you for sharing it!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Of course Anything can be pureed...take your steak and puree it :tongue:
    My little brother was beat up 1 night when he was younger...they broke his jaw which had to be wired so anything that he ate had to be able to fit through a straw...he got pretty creative!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Just watch the rice - I got a piece lodged in the wound and it took forever to get it out again (seriously, a couple of hours. Drove me nuts).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    One dentist had me on 24 hours of frozen vanilla yogurt or ice cream. He wanted something with "no pieces." And the cold helps with the swelling.
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is a frozen banana 'smooshed' (or blended) with a tablespoon of cocoa powder. It is like a chocolate-banana ice cream, but with only healthy ingredients. The cold does help with swelling and pain and the calories are very low. It doesn't sound that great on paper, lol, but trust me the consistency/flavor is very much like frozen pudding or a dense gelato.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I remember it was horrible. I ate only pureed stuff and liquids for a week. :sad:

You're gonna hate old age!

I quite like mushy food like the sort of stuff mentioned by others. :o)
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Had mine out also and had scrambled eggs, cottage cheese., frozen yogurt. Instant breakfast , milk in a blender with a banana. That was my go to . I would even freeze this until it was like a soft serve. It comes in many different flavor also. They had a chocolate malt one. Remember sleeping a lot. Best of luck to you
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed 2 months ago. I was told to avoid rice. Smoothies I did but just drank from the cup. I made a bunch of protein shakes, mashed some potatoes and carrots, ate a lot of ground meat, some mac'n cheese, butternut squash soup (was told not tomato because it's acidic, and not hot), pancakes, yogurt, scrambled eggs, refried beans, protein cheesecake... Regular veggies it took me a while to put back in, even soft ones were a pain to chew.

Just don't use it as an excuse to eat ice cream every day :p
  • katiedoo82
    katiedoo82 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    smoothies will be great... and soups...but one thing u should keep well away from is peanuts! that's what I wanted when I got mine out...and of course I had some.... ouchy!!! NOT RECCOMMENDED :noway:
    Hope it goes ok... best of luck
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    When I got mine out all I ate was chocolate pudding and ice cream for a week or two. Didn't gain weight either, oddly. I lost!
  • TehBuggers
    TehBuggers Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone!
  • sheschemes
    sheschemes Posts: 67
    Options
    When I had mine out I used the Idahoan instant mashed potatoes because I didn't want to do any extra cooking. I put that stuff in thinner soups to make them feel a bit heartier but still Dr. approved.
  • rughead06
    rughead06 Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    about a week before drink some pineapple juice. There is some enzyme in the juice that will reduce the swelling after surgery. It worked for me.