600 Calories a day

Options
So, I'm trying to live on 600 calories a day for 2 weeks (To improve/cure my diabetes).

There was a study done in Newcastle which showed that subjects who lived on a very restrictive diet for 8 weeks managed to cure their diabetes. (Hypothesis - burning fat cells from the pancreas made it work again?) I am not on the study, and would probably die or go blind if I tried such a diet without medical support, but I figure for 2 weeks, I can probably manage it with the help of my wife.

I need to lose a fair amount of weight anyway, and I am seeing this as a way of kick starting that process at the same time.

I was diagnosed as diabetic about 8 years ago, but due to my own stupidity and a total lack of any symptoms, I have pretty much ignored it. This means my diabetes has got progressively worse. I feel I need to take steps now at the age of 41 or I could be crippled before I am 50.

I am almost at the end of the first week now, and to be perfectly honest, it has not been too bad. Sure, I have hunger pangs and crave bacon, but I guess I thought it would be harder. I am certainly appreciating what I am eating more. I waste almost nothing, and spend about 1/10th of what I did on food.

After the 2 weeks of 600 calories, I am planning to revert to a more sensible number of 1500 low fat calories, but add in some exercise, in the hope that I can continue to burn those fat cells in the pancreas and continue the weight loss.

Anyway, that's my story... anyone out there done anything like this, or have any comments that won't totally demoralise me?

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    In
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it hasn't harmed you this week. Please inform your doctor about this plan and talk to him/her about the study you heard about.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately your thread, being about a VLCD, is against forum rules and will most likely be deleted by the moderators. Threads about doing or endorsing diets with less than a 1200 cal a day is a no-no.

You really ought to be speaking to your doctor about this.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    The best approach in my opinion would be at least 1200 calories - cut out processed food stick to lean meats and high fiber vegetables switch to whole grains vs white starches. And to curb your sweet tooth try eating berries/apples etc they contain a Lower GI levels . Your focus really needs to be seen as a total life style change for a healthier you for years to come vs short term. I wish you the best of luck!

Ciao,

Bella ( medical student)
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You cannot improve/cure your diabetes this way. I assume you are referring to type 2 diabetes. If you stuck it out for the entire 8 weeks, which would not be wise, you would spring right back to where you were upon stopping this 'diet'. The best thing you could do for yourself would be to eat foods that had a low impact on your blood glucose levels. This way you would be able to 1) eat, 2) lose weight and 3) address your diabetes in a way that was practical, sustainable and healthy. Get thee to a doctor! They will tell you that this diet approach you are embarking upon has been debunked and will help you do this properly. Do this for your health.
  • dorisopen9
    dorisopen9 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You cannot improve/cure your diabetes this way. I assume you are referring to type 2 diabetes. If you stuck it out for the entire 8 weeks, which would not be wise, you would spring right back to where you were upon stopping this 'diet'.

So, you're saying that the research the University of Newcastle has done is all wrong? They made it up as they went along?

If he sees a doctor, then a dietitian, he might very well be put on an 8 week VLCD as this is increasingly being taken up by the mainstream medicine as the way to treat - and cure! - type II diabetes.

However, OP, this treatment involves 8 weeks and not just two on a very restricted diet and should therefore not be done without close medical supervision. Other option, depending on how bad your diabetes is, is intermittent fasting. This is also being used for treatment and the protocols vary from 5:2 Diet to ADF with anything between 500 and 0 kcals on fasting days. Medical supervision is also required, in particular if you lack the knowledge about diabetes.
    Your idea that losing fat from the pancreas tells me that you do not know the "mechanics" of type II diabetes. I would strongly suggest that you start by seeing your doctor or the diabetic nurse and a dietitian. In the meantime learn about your diabetes so you understand why your body does what it does.
    Armed with knowledge and guidance you can beat the disease. It can be cured and should be cured, and safe fasting can do the job.

To give you some much needed understanding, start here:
    http://kidneylifescience.ca/drjasonfung/page/6/
    http://kidneylifescience.ca/programs/nutrition-and-diabetes/intensive-diabetes-dietary-management/
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    So, I'm trying to live on 600 calories a day for 2 weeks (To improve/cure my diabetes).

There was a study done in Newcastle which showed that subjects who lived on a very restrictive diet for 8 weeks managed to cure their diabetes. (Hypothesis - burning fat cells from the pancreas made it work again?) I am not on the study, and would probably die or go blind if I tried such a diet without medical support, but I figure for 2 weeks, I can probably manage it with the help of my wife.

I need to lose a fair amount of weight anyway, and I am seeing this as a way of kick starting that process at the same time.

I was diagnosed as diabetic about 8 years ago, but due to my own stupidity and a total lack of any symptoms, I have pretty much ignored it. This means my diabetes has got progressively worse. I feel I need to take steps now at the age of 41 or I could be crippled before I am 50.

I am almost at the end of the first week now, and to be perfectly honest, it has not been too bad. Sure, I have hunger pangs and crave bacon, but I guess I thought it would be harder. I am certainly appreciating what I am eating more. I waste almost nothing, and spend about 1/10th of what I did on food.

After the 2 weeks of 600 calories, I am planning to revert to a more sensible number of 1500 low fat calories, but add in some exercise, in the hope that I can continue to burn those fat cells in the pancreas and continue the weight loss.

Anyway, that's my story... anyone out there done anything like this, or have any comments that won't totally demoralise me?

This is how they do it in bariatrics only they do it for a longer period of time. Bariatric patients are limited to about 500 calories a day in the beginning (for the first month or so) and are able to slowly increase their calories over time. Bariatric surgeons use the term "cured" when talking about the diet's effect on their patients' type II diabetes but I think it's more "controlled" than anything else. Of all the patients I know of (about 20) who underwent bariatric surgery did so BECAUSE of their diabetes. A few of them were insulin dependent and after 6 weeks, none of them had signs of diabetes. Just keep in mind that diabetes will come back and come back with a vengeance if the old eating habits return.

I assume you're on "high protein" (80-100 grams a day) diet relative to your calorie intake..? If so, you might want to look into Premier protein drinks (you can get them at SAMs, Costco, and some Walmarts or order them from their website) and Quest protein bars (GNC). They're low in sugar and high in protein (and reasonably low in fat).
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go see your Doctor. This sort of thing should only be done under medical supervision. Do not do it without this as it really wont be good for you
  • TwirleySlims
    TwirleySlims Posts: 112
    Options
    Well done you for realising you need to make the change for yourself!

Now get to a Doctor for a supervised version! :happy:
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Go see your Doctor. This sort of thing should only be done under medical supervision. Do not do it without this as it really wont be good for you

This.

VLCD should only be undertaken with medical supervision.
  • GothJuice
    GothJuice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's fantastic that you've realized you need to make a change and have decided to act upon it but the purpose of this site is to support those taking a healthy approach to weight loss and changing their lifestyle, consuming no more than 600 calories a day is not a healthy approach. You may drop a bit of weight immediately, but the second you go to a higher amount of calories you're body will put back on the weight lost as what you are doing is not changing your lifestyle.

I know in a position like yours, it's tempting to act drastically to see some results quickly, but why not just start at the calorie goal you intending to go up? That would be the sensible thing to do and you'd loose weight healthily and will be more likely to stick to it without binging, which is what occurs to many people who cut their calories too low.

I'd also advice speaking to a medical professional about diets to help improve your diabetes and lose weight in a safer action rather than cutting your calories dangerously low.
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I guess if that works for you, okay but my brother "cured" his type 2 with low carb rather than low cal.
    It might be something for you to look at ???Plus you can have your bacon then...:smile:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

tumblr_m3xijzfdCa1qkyefy.gif
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree with others above, that if you're going to go that low cal, discuss it with your doctor.
  • clairetomkinson84
    clairetomkinson84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes you happy, I wish you all the best on your journey. I would be very interested in the results as my father has type 2 diabetes.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

QFT

Please go talk to your doctor about this.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options

DKohtXV.jpg

Also in!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    First, before starting a VLCD (which you already did start), you should be seeing your doctor. Doing a VLCD without doctor supervision can be dangerous.

Secondly, the Newcastle study is flawed. It was done on 11 participants, of which 7 of them showed that their diabetes was in remission. They've since began a more extensive study of 250+ participants over 2 years, but that research hasn't been completed yet. You really should not be jumping into a program that doesn't even have completed research yet, and again, especially without consulting your doctor.

Third, VLCD promotion is against forum guidelines. I get that promoting it probably wasn't your intention, but you need to think about the repercussions first before posting about these things.

I really really really hope you stop this and discuss a proper nutrition plan with your doctor to manage your diabetes.