Is Curves any good?

jtreadwell
jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
What are the pros and cons of joining curves?

Replies

• Pros - it's an all-women gym so you don't have guys ogling you while you work out.
    It's a super supportive atmosphere.
    They have all of the equipment so that you don't have to make a big investment.

Cons, at least locally - the hours don't work with mine.
    A gym membership is totally out of my budget, especially with gas at $3.18/gal!
  • Can you join a gym instead? I went to curves years back and I found it to be a much older crowd that talked during the cicuit so it was hard to keep up a good heart rate, I also like to stay on the machines for longer. I also found people would skip certain ones and it would throw the circuit off and id be doing the same thing twice and not doing some. Im at 24hr fitness now and pay less that what I did at curves. The only thing other big difference was Curves was just for women
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I did curves last time I last weight about 9 years ago after the birth of my kids. I really liked it but it wasn't "enough" for me when I got to my weight goal. I couldn't get the cardio I needed and the machines were set at a lower resistance for the general public. The group where I was were typically older (50-60's) and it was social hour as well. We got very little instruction or assistance and the trainer sat in her office and ate chips and was way overweight herself. The monthly cost was good - I got the lifetime membership for little to nothing when they first came to town so not sure what the costs is now.
  • o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    I used to work at Curves. It was a really friendly atmosphere. The ladies had a really great time. And they measure you often to keep your head in the game. A lot of people like it because it's a quick workout.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
  • mzw00dy1964
    mzw00dy1964 Posts: 21 Member
    I started Curves to lose weight about 5 years ago. I lost weight....Then the Military changed the fitness program...My curves helped me gain the ability to do a Man's push-up...I found out this year I am a type 1 diabetic...they help with the goals I have for dealing with this life long disease. (Not type 2, I don't need to lose weight and this is autoimmune so can't treat with diet, I must use insulin) There is also a newer program that pushes you to continue to improve. It sets goals and you can see them on the machines. Make sure you look for that when your looking as well. Through all they are supporting, take time to understand their customers, and train on alot of aspects of health for their customers. Like every franchise there are good and bad owners. Try one or two to see if you like the person who runs it and their employees. I am lucky I go to the best Curves:) The ownwers are so awesome!!!!! Kettering Ohio
  • ohh and if you have a 24hr gym by you, they dont really advertiser that they have an upfront charge. So instead of paying 30 a month I only paid $200 for 12mths the only catch is that you can only use the one gym
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Pros:

No fighting for machines
    No 'what should I do for my workout?' stress
    GREAT for a beginner and you can increase intensity (speed of reps on machines and intensity of cardio) as needed
    Very supportive, all female environment

Cons:

Can get boring/tedious
    Other exercisers might not move on/off machines as fast as you'd like if you go during a busy time
    Eventually, Curves will likely not be 'enough' (but it took me a while to get there)

I was a member for 2 years and attribute my pre-wedding weight loss to curves. I was not an exerciser at ALL before joining.

Charmagne
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    It's all personal preferences. Personally I tried it when I was over weight. I had a two week free trial. Didn't like curves, thought it was weak and dumb. I prefer goin to the gym and bustin my *kitten* off doin whatever I want to do for a workout. Instead of workin out for 3 days a week at curves goin around in a circle for 30 minutes a day reachin every muscle group. I think curves is stupid but their are ppl who like curves. Just I ain't one of them. Because I feel that if you are goin to workout then you need to have a variety of different workouts to do and switch it up and workout certain muscle groups each day.
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Thank you everybody for all of the imput it really helps! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.