Strategy after exceeding calorie count for the day

Options
Hello! I am curious to know how all of you out there deal with having gone over your calorie count for any particular day. Last night I went to hibachi with my family. I certainly did not go hog wild and I ate only the healthier items (salad, chicken and filet combo, some fried rice, veggies). Nonetheless, the meal put me approximately 250 calories over my limit (including WAY over the protein limit and somewhat over the fat limit). Is there anything I can or should do the following day to make up for or reduce the effects of having gone over? Should I just forget about it and jump back in the following day as though there had not been an overage? I do not want to eat 250 calories fewer the following day as I know I must get in my net 1200 in order to remain healthy. Please let me know what everyone else out there does. Thanks!

Replies

• klabritz
    Options
    Hello! I am curious to know how all of you out there deal with having gone over your calorie count for any particular day. Last night I went to hibachi with my family. I certainly did not go hog wild and I ate only the healthier items (salad, chicken and filet combo, some fried rice, veggies). Nonetheless, the meal put me approximately 250 calories over my limit (including WAY over the protein limit and somewhat over the fat limit). Is there anything I can or should do the following day to make up for or reduce the effects of having gone over? Should I just forget about it and jump back in the following day as though there had not been an overage? I do not want to eat 250 calories fewer the following day as I know I must get in my net 1200 in order to remain healthy. Please let me know what everyone else out there does. Thanks!
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I work extra hard on my exercise, and burn the 250 extra than what i would normally do.

:happy:
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would also work it in to my workout schedule.

I may not do it on the same day though. I would work an extra day in, so instead of working out 3 times a week I would do 4.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    When I was on the strict 1200 cal portion of my weight loss I ignored the extra calorie days, you will have them throughout. I did make a concious effort to burn extra calories through exersice the day I was going to go over ( I tried to prepare or plan the days I was going to go over my limit.) Or I tried to burn extra cals the next day, but not in excess. I never cut any calories the next day, to make the difference, a few days here and thereof going over is not going to sabbatoge your effort. Did I tell you I really like pizza and three slices with dip is about 1200 cals , my daily intake at the time.LOL!!!!:laugh: :laugh: .

Start fresh the next day, and dont worry, so you may lose a little slower that week, or not at all, we are in for the long haul and you really enjoyed eating those yummies and that's ok!

Anne
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Just 250 cals over??!! WOW THATS PRETTY GOOD! :flowerforyou:
    But you might feel a little thirsty the next day. so drink plenty of water, :drinker:
    and add 10 more minutes to your activity. Oh and eat a little more fruit and veggies.
    One day of going over will not hurt you. We all do that here and there part of being human!
    it is when one day of going over is followed by another day of going over and another day and another day etc.
    And I do not think there is such a thing as TOO much protine in one day. Face it a lot of us get way to LITTLE protien in a day. Protien helps buils muscle that in turn burns fat.
    --Diann...
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over 250 calories. You are probably set up to concume about 500 less than what it takes your body to function, so you should be okay. Also, if you look through the threads you will see that a ton of people go over on their protein, and a lot of us feel that the protein on here is set too low for people who exercise.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I agree with almost everyone! It happens...it's life. It's not going to kill you or make you gain if you go over only one day. Most people allow themselves a cheat day...so really...don't worry about it! Usually when this is the case for me, I also try to work out a little harder the next day. But there have been some days when I haven't. And I didn't gain any that week. So, start the next day fresh and count it as a reward for the hard work you've been putting in! You can acheive greatness!:bigsmile: Good luck!

*Kistinbee*
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    I just started but my plan is to add 15-30 minutes of cardio to compensate. In my mind, this could be the next day or spread out over several days.