Coach To 5K App

Options
Hi everyone,

Im just about finishing week 7 of couch 2 5k the NHS app. Im finding im already running 3.2 miles and really enjoying it.

My questions is what to go on to after I finish this?

Ive looked at other posts regarding the podcasts etc, but I want something that I can play my own music and sets me a structure. I was thinking of using the runkeeper app and setting a program of 5 min walk then run and 5min cooldown and increasing the run bit by maybe two minutes each week. anyone got any other ideas?

Scott

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    That's a good plan. There are lots of good apps to track your workouts. Runkeeper, Runtastic, Nike+, Endomondo, Strava, you just have to decide which one works best for you. Happy running and congrats on doing the C25K!!
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you enjoyed that app/program, there are similar ones that lead to a 10k... another to marathon. I've had a couple of friends that followed that progression and now run full marathons :)
  • amhafford
    amhafford Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k app that I have has a continuation for a 10k, 25k, etc..
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

In terms of what to do, it really depends on you. I used the NHS c25K+ podcasts for a few weeks after I finished the programme, then moved on to 10K training, and now working on half marathon.
    I was thinking of using the runkeeper app and setting a program of 5 min walk then run and 5min cooldown and increasing the run bit by maybe two minutes each week.

Runkeeper is pretty good and has some 10K and half marathon training plans available within it. Getting the Elite subscription increases what's available.

Endomondo has a dynamic planner included in the subscription version that you can tune to fit your needs. I find that better than the Runkeeper one as it tends to be more flexible, and the plan recalibrates as you improve.

Runtastic has some paid training plans embedded, but personally I don't like Runtastic and they're no more than you get free in Runkeeper anyway.

Strava is good, but you have to programme your own cues in, so either work from a plan or make up your own

MapMyFitness can serve a similar purpose but I've found it very unreliable.

Personally I use Endomondo, but increasingly Strava as well
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, and likely never will be.....but I did download the zombie run! c25k....and apparently they have another app (same name...just not the c25k) that I have read is more challanging...and pushes what sounded more intervals between running and sprinting, to avoid being eaten by zombies. The reviews I read people seem to like it.
  • mstacey04
    mstacey04 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Im just about finishing week 7 of couch 2 5k the NHS app. Im finding im already running 3.2 miles and really enjoying it.

Ive looked at other posts regarding the podcasts etc, but I want something that I can play my own music and sets me a structure. I was thinking of using the runkeeper app and setting a program of 5 min walk then run and 5min cooldown and increasing the run bit by maybe two minutes each week. anyone got any other ideas?

Scott

I finished the couch to 5k app about a month ago and originally just continued to run with the nike + app and was gradually increasing my runs. I did ok with that but I feel like I do a lot better with structure as you said. Last week I downloaded the 5k to 10k app which is a continuation of the couch to 5k. I am happy to be back to the structure of it.