Sweets are killing me

Options
So obviously I'm trying to lose weight and I am doing ok not great though. I'm not exercising due to the fact that I have a bad cold. I won't exercise when I'm sick since I do smoke and it makes it ten times worse but I'm off topic. I am eating ok I have slim fast for breakfast, then a salad for lunch. Then after that it goes bad. I eat junk and I know that's bad. I'm also not recording everything. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can try to keep the sweets out of my diet.

Replies

• BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    prepare, prepare, prepare. You already know you're struggling after lunch. Make sure you have pre-portioned healthy snacks available. Almonds are great! Fruits, veggies, yogurt, ff pudding/jello, etc. I have the hardest time after work because I get home and am ready to eat. I just grab what's convenient. Well, all that's convenient now is celery- celery is now what I grab.

You can do it- you'll feel better to!
  • flossicle
    Options
    Sugar free sweets in moderation..there's some lush 1's i can't remember the name of but they do em in apple and lemon flavours n they also quench ya thirst..what's the god dam name.. it wont come but they are lush and just like sucking on a hard boiled sweet!

Oh perhaps you meant sweets as in desserts? Think i should read posts when i'm not 1/2 asleep :embarassed:
  • scaldawg
    Options
    Id say the same thing Im a demon for snacking on sweets and crisps and If I start eating one pack ill have five haha...but if you have some healthy snacks prepared youre more likely not to snack on bad stuff....after that its just will power!!!! you can do it! quit em cold turkey! :)
  • vsehgal
    Options
    Whenever I have a craving for something sweet I drink Diet Soda. It kills the craving and you don't feel like having something sweet afterwards.

Hope this works for you. :)
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The sweets get me too! Two things: if it's really hard for you to stay away from them, then get rid of them. Out the door, throw them away, give them away...whatever you have to do to make you have to go out of the house, get in your car, drive somewhere and fork over some more money for them, if you want them that bad. Drastic, I know, but it works. And sometimes, if you have to go to all that effort, you just won't want to do it anymore.

Second, I think you are setting yourself up having a slim fast for b-fast and a salad for lunch. You might have more luck if you more evenly space your calories throughout the day. Try to have some protein at each meal. I found that if I "saved" my calories for later in the day, I almost always blew my eating by the end of the day. If I "spent" my calories more on breakfast and lunch--spaced them all out, I was able to ward off the munchies and sweets, or at least make better choices then, because I wasn't starving. Good luck!
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    eat a nicer more enjoyable breakfast than slim fast, something that will fill you up but also taste good and salads are good but try a bit of variation. i know "diets" are hard but they are easier if we really think about what we eat and if you have a breakfast and a lunch that you actually look forward to eating and like eating your less likely to crave other foods after you've eaten them. look at other peoples food diaries and see what they've come up with to help you get some ideas.
  • mondele
    Options
    Carrot sticks, unsweetened applesauce, green beans, olives (in moderation) are all relatively cheap snacks. The important thing for me was recording everything because it made me think before taking the bite, "What will this do to my numbers for the rest of the day?"
  • divamimi09
    divamimi09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. At home I can refrain from the sweets/snacks but at work I'm drawn to the vending machine or the candy jar outside my boss' office. So, I need help with this too. Today is my new day! I'm working on drinking a lot of water to keep me filled and if I feel I need a sweet treat, I'm going to drink a whole glass of water. I will be getting into preparing those healthy snacks for lunch too...carrot sticks, etc.. If I find anything that is low calorie and sweet that works for me - I will share with you for sure.
    Oh and yes, I'm back on MFP to record everything I eat and my exercise. I think that's helpful to enter any little thing you put in your mouth....it certainly makes you aware. And, maybe before reaching for the treat, drink some water and ask yourself if you really need that? I know when I do - my answer is pretty much always "NO"...don't need the candy or cupcake or anything like that. I'm just getting back on track, like I said, but I definately have to work on this too. So, good luck & thanks!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Give up the slim fast asap! Have a nice big hearty breakfast, either eggs with some whole wheat toast and some fruit, or oatmeal with fruit and a glass of milk. You will not feel the need to snack if you are satisfied, and that should start with a big healthy breakfast.
    This morning I had 2 slices of weight watchers whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter, an apple, and 1 oz of almonds (Im lactose intolerant so can't have the milk any longer, sigh).

I used to be a "chocolate-a-holic" and loved sweets in general. The more you have the more your body will crave it. I went completely COLD TURKEY for 2 months with no sweets, no artificial sweetner, nothing, before the cravings subsided. If you keep eating sweets you will keep craving them.

To do this I made the following sign for myself for at home and at work, I got up every morning and repeated it out loud and promised myself to remain faithful to my health that day . . . I CREATE MYSELF WITH THE CHOICES I MAKE EACH DAY. I always thought to myself, surely I can make it through one day sticking to my plan. I NEVER looked past that day and that day only as it was just to overwhelming to me. This is the only way I could fix my food issues and teach myself to eat properly.

I've just found out that im severely lactose intolerant about a month ago. A bunch of months ago I told my husband that I wished there was a way for me to conquor my chocolate cravings/love . . . he recently mentioned that and told me to be careful what I wished for . . . funny . . . not!!!!

You can do this! Just 1 day at a time!!!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    ah...try switching the slimfast to the evening.

Slimfast is high in sugar, you are probably having a carb crash which tends to lead to craving sweets. I'm not a knocker of slimfast, i think it can be useful but if you're having problems with carb crash just switch the meals around. Have a small bowl of cereal and a boiled egg with a slice of wholemeal toast in the morning, your salad with some protein for lunch (protein keeps you fuller for longer) and the slimfast in the evening...you should be fast asleep when the carb crash comes along

and keep some fruit in for snacking on
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    1st you have to have the mind to succeed. If the sweets are in your reach and you can't control yourself then remove them from your house. You have to plan your meals and snacks in order to have success. With that said here ya go.

Yummy Snack...

Get some Fage 2% Greek yogurt plain. Hershey's unsweetened Coca powder. Heavy Whipping Cream. Splenda.

Mix 2 to 3 tbsps of coca, 2 tbsps of heavy whipping cream together in a bowl. Sweetened to taste with Splenda.

It comes out like chocolate mousse and its alot.

It should kill that monster of a sweet craving.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Something else that might help you is to log your food for the entire day at the beginning of the day if you're having trouble spacing out the calories or making some bad choices. Like someone else said, prepare!

I log my whole day, then I can tweak it as needed, and I always have something to look forward to. Plus, if you find you're not as hungry for things, you can delete them! I love it and use it as my guide all day long. This is particularily useful when I am trying to prepare for going out to eat. I may need to make some changes earlier in the day if I really want to have something. I don't look at it as "can't have" but "what better choice could I make" for my health and well being.

Good luck!
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    I used to have the same problem before I started. My favorite was red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting! But, Here I am less than 2 weeks later and I haven't had a cooke/brownie/cupcake since!
    I agree.. slim fast and a salad are setting yourself up to crave different foods. I get my "sweet" foods in breakfast & lunch so I don't want dessert later. I have a smuckers crustables (whole wheat bread) with a banana and low fat yogurt for breakfast. That does a great job of filling me up. I have apples and a sandwich for lunch. I eat an orange (medium, sliced) and a string cheese for my snacks in the afternoon. I only eat 1500kcal per day and it gives me plenty of calories for dinner. Last night I even had room for calories to have a dessert, which was the Bryers YoCrunch vanilla yogurt with mini M&M's. It was great!
    Also, if you want an even lower calorie dessert option to curb your sweets check out the ice cream sandwiches by Skinny Cow. They are fabulous and hit the spot. I haven't had one is a long time. Strangely enough, I found that I would lose more when I had one for dessert and was a few calories over than if I didn't have one! Good luck. You can do this! Don't look at is as giving up sweets... look at is as trading high calorie sweets for better options that taste just as great and you can have more of them throughout the day that are GOOD for you! Good luck. You CAN do this!
  • benbidder
    Options
    My sweet tooth kicks in a couple hours after lunch as well. I grab a pure protein peanut butter chocolate bar and eat half of it. It is really filling and helps my sweet tooth. Tides me over to dinner as well...
    Good luck!
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    1st you have to have the mind to succeed. If the sweets are in your reach and you can't control yourself then remove them from your house. You have to plan your meals and snacks in order to have success. With that said here ya go.

Yummy Snack...

Get some Fage 2% Greek yogurt plain. Hershey's unsweetened Coca powder. Heavy Whipping Cream. Splenda.

Mix 2 to 3 tbsps of coca, 2 tbsps of heavy whipping cream together in a bowl. Sweetened to taste with Splenda.

It comes out like chocolate mousse and its alot.

It should kill that monster of a sweet craving.

Did you get this from the Cook Yourself Thin book? They have great recipes that are healthy and much lower in calories. I love that book. It makes me wish I could cook!
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    I sip on coffee made with 1 tiny half and half and two of the Splenda Flavors for Coffee (Mocha flavored!) It helps my cold feel not so crummy and also gets my sweet cravings. It's like a treat, really! (and under 25 calories!!)
    I also keep snacks on hand that are sweet but NOT things that are insanely bad. I have, right now, on my desk a box of fit & active smores flavored mini rice cakes. They are 90 calories and REALLY good.

Also, forcing down a slim fast is just making you miserable. go for things you like! (and more protein in the morning)
    For breakfast today I had 3 boiled egg (whites only), a Healthy Life English muffin (whole wheat) with 1 TBSP peanut butter, and a dolce gusto skinny cappucino with a splash of sugar free caramel syrup. (I'm sipping on a coffee with splenda now) I'm full as full can be and it was delicious.

In my fridge, I have a whole wheat pita with tuna, carrots and celery, cucumber garlic greek yogurt and 1/4 c cottage cheese, and a 100 calorie pack of almond/walnut mix.
  • joanne3b
    Options
    try sugar free chewing gum
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    ALSO - there are NO "bad foods" ALL foods are okay IN MODERATION. :)
    A relatively safe snack that I like for my sweet cravings:

Take 1 bag LITE microwave popcorn, Cook it
    Immediately upon taking it out add 1 TBSP chocolate chips (or Peanut Butter chips)
    hold the bag closed and shake it.

The chocolate chips melt and get on all of the popcorn - it makes for a slightly salty sweet treat that is very messy but oh so good. (And you can eat the whole bag (Yes the WHOLE BAG) for about 180 calories. Plus it is SUPER filling because of all of the fiber in the popcorn.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I always keep fresh fruit salad on hand that I make my self. It helps with the sweet and it is great for you.
    I usually put apples, pears, pineapple, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, oranges, cherries, and sometimes bananas. I use all FRESH fruit and make it my self. You can use the recipe thing on here and it will tell you how many calories are in a serving of your salad. Mine is usually about 100 cal for 2 cups. My husband works shifts work and this is a great thing for him when he is on nights. Hope that helps.
  • JLeeAlton
    JLeeAlton Posts: 311
    Options
    Simple.. stop buying sweets. Don't buy anything that you shouldn't be eating and bring it into your home. If it's not there.. you can't eat it!