Why can't I lose any???

Options
Good Morning!!
Today is my 19th consecutive day of strict tracking and working out. I work out for a minimum of 35 minutes 4 days a week. At first the scale said i dropped 6.8 lbs in the first week, however i didn't really because I am back close to that first number even though I have been strictly counting calories, drinking water and working out. I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to jump start my weight loss. I have been incorporating more fruits and veggies into my meals. I also come within at least 200 calories of my goal each day (never OVER). I also do not eat my calories back from working out. I only eat my daily allotted calories.
Thank you!!
Brianna

Replies

• Annesoucy1957
    Options
    just be patient it will happen. If you start doing exercises and was sedentary before you will retain some water, in a short period of time it will adjust itself.

Take your measurements you might see smaller numbers on your waist and hips and the scale not budge.

Good luck
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    First question is, are you weighing your food?
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    It would be useful if you opened up your food diary.
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been here for almost 2 years and am also not seeing a loss. Brace yourself for a torrent of unhelpful advice but watch out for the helpful tips in between.
    Good luck!
  • briannah6176
    briannah6176 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am not weighing my food but I do use measuring cups when appropriate.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

A food scale is a good idea. They're cheap and uber reliable. You'd be surprised how much you're actually eating...or not.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you're doing your calories, but if you had MFP set them up for you (as opposed to doing TDEE), then you need to eat back your calories. That's how it's set-up. I hate using the phrase "starvation mode" but your body will slow down your weight loss if you don't eat enough.
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    Thank you for posting your dilemma! One of THE most common thing people who self-report/track is underreport and I'm not saying you are doing this intentionally, but if you aren't weight your cooked protein, for example, and are "eyeballing" it then you can't possibly know with accuracy what you are actually consuming. Have you been checked out by your Doc for any possible thyroid issues or other medical conditions that could be prohibiting you from losing weight? Also, not everyone CAN lose at or above 1200, and it takes a calorie deficit (intake vs output) to achieve weight loss. I love that you are doing exercise at the level you are, can I ask you what your height and weight IS currently, and what your calorie goal is?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Nope. You need to be weighing solid foods.
  • Reefshark
    Reefshark Posts: 7
    Options
    What kind of workout are you doing? To really lose weight you need to make sure your getting a good cardio. This is what helped me a couple of years ago.Unfortunately I let myself go and now I'm back to make things right for me. Push yourself to do a brisk walk for an hour every other day. When you can try to jog as long as you can and when you're feeling tired just walk then try to jog some more or pick up the pace. Eventually you will be jogging for that full hour. Lifting weights for a workout doesn't burn that many calories and will eventually put on more muscle weight, which is good if you want muscle. Definitely get your calories back too. If you don't your body will go into survival mode and begin to store fat. Get plenty of protein in your diet. Good luck
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just a few tips that have help me lose without frustration...
    (1) Weigh your food. Measuring cups are not reliable enough and eyeballing is consistently wrong. Measuring in grams is the most reliable way to get accurate calories. A good food scale is about $25-30 and worth every penny. Once you get used to weighing it is second nature.
    (2) Know your daily calorie goal and meet it. MFP asks questions to determine your goals and most people answer the "how much to lose question" with "2 pounds per week". while this seems like a wonderful goal it will typically set you up for a 1200 calorie diet that can be difficult to maintain for long realistically. A few other ways to set up a goal can be to figure your BMR, TDEE -20% or set the MFP goal to 1 pound per week (if you are really close to your goal weight 0.5 pound loss per week).
    (3) Eat back at least half if not all of your exercise calories. You are already eating at a deficit and need to replenish the fuel for your body to continue burning. Also make sure you are getting an accurate calorie burn by using a heart rate montior. One with a chest strap is most accurate.

19 days is not long enough to give up and you should stick with it. Weight loss is frustrating, but change your mind set from just "dieting" to making this a lifestyle change. Feel free to add me for support. I'm on every day and think the more support you have the more likely you are to stick with it!! Best of luck to you!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've been here for almost 2 years and am also not seeing a loss. Brace yourself for a torrent of unhelpful advice but watch out for the helpful tips in between.
    Good luck!
    I see a lot of helpful and honest advice with unhelpful advice in between. It's in the perception. :wink:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to get a food scale. There is often a big enough difference in measuring cups/spoons and weight in grams or ounces. Sometimes it less than the measurement, most times the weight is more than the cup, etc.

For entries, skip those generic entries such as small, medium, large, because those descriptions are in the eye of the beholder.
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Follow the tips given. Weigh your food using a scale. Log everything. Be honest about your exercise.

If you are following Mfp calorie goals then you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories.

19 days is too soon to see a trend. You need to be consistent for a length of time to properly gauge your results.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Remember a pound is 3500 calories. 19 consecutive days is really nothing on a weight loss schedule. Long term weight loss means just that. Unless you're accustomed to eating 4000 calories a day, and have hundreds of pounds to lose, it doesn't come off quickly..

Just stick to your plan and you'll get there.