Anyone else just get TIRED??

I have a really hard time keeping my energy up 3 to 4 days a week...To the point that I can't keep my eyes open by 1 pm...I sleep very well...Usually asleep by 930 or 10 and up around 5:15...I'm active in coaching sports,,,yard work....walking....kids...We eat well...

I've had my thyroid checked with nothing coming out of that...Most days I just feel like I'm in a fog, having to push myself to do anything after the noon hour...all I want to do is sleep....

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Yes, I get tired, but not quite like that.

Maybe try one cup of black coffee at 12:00 PM and try to get a regular bed time and wake up time. I've heard (can't provide sources) that our bodies like regularity when it comes to sleep.

Edit: OH and it might be a result of your calorie goal being too low? When I started reducing calories I was tired for a few weeks until I adjusted. I'm guessing yours might be more long term than that. Apples are also supposed to be good at making you feel awake..
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    yes, when I'm low on iron. i get very tired.

ETA: you must have your iron checked before taking supplements b/c too much iron is bad as well.

I drink coffee in the afternoon.

My mom always suggests an apple in the afternoon and lived by this for years. She still swears by it.:flowerforyou:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    What it your daily calorie goal set at? How long have you been on MFP? Do you eat back your exercise calories?

Many times when people are feeling the way you describe, it is because they are not eating enough.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    What and how much are you eating? Perhaps you are not getting enough nutrients. It's not normal to be that tired.
  • brookhood
    brookhood Posts: 9 Member
    I eat about 1700 cals a day....I've been on and off MFP for a while...but I maintain a steady diet and exercise regardless...Sometimes I feel like I eat too much...That super full sluggish feeling?!!
  • brookhood
    brookhood Posts: 9 Member
    I often have low iron when I've had blood work done...I've never been a fan of supplements...has anyone had luck with Iron Supplements??
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Did your doc check iron levels when checking thyroid? Like MCD said, iron depletion can also do this. Many vitamin deficiencies as well. If you are certain that your diet is not culprit, I would ask for more bloodwork. Something sounds wonky. I hope you figure it out.

ETA: with the additional information. I haven't needed iron supplements. Since you are not a fan, have you looked at foods that are higher in iron? If if is slightly low, you may be able to manage with dietary changes. Again, I suggest speaking with your doctor/dietician. Iron supplementation needs to be monitored so you don't get too much. It's one of those things your body doesn't get rid of the excess.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    10:00 pm to 5:15 am is only 71/4 hours. I know I NEED a full 8 to be my best. Try getting to bed a little earlier. Also a quick lunchtime nap of 15 minutes or so may work.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    You may eat "well," but are you eating enough? How many calories are you eating each day?
  • bs0cem
    bs0cem Posts: 2 Member
    Hydration is also an important element to consider. In hot weather with lots of activities to distract you it is easy to slip towards dehydration. You may feel better an hour or so after a BIG drink of water.
    As a woman, hormones also have a huge impact on my energy levels. I keep track of my cycle carefully so I know when to expect tiredness, water retention (and the associated weight gain), feeling like I'm starving etc.
    I really would like to get all my vitamins and nutrients from my diet but it just doesn't work that way for me. Therefore, I do take simple, over the counter, iron tablets. One tablet every 3 days or every 2 days if feeling sluggish. It makes enough difference to me to keep away my signs of iron deficiency but I don't feel like I'm becoming reliant on tablets. My calorie intake is relatively low so if I make bad choices diet wise I find it is difficult to keep my iron levels up. My doctors have conducted blood tests and don't feel my levels require daily intervention but did note that they were on the lower end of normal.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Have your B-12 levels checked.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    I often have low iron when I've had blood work done...I've never been a fan of supplements...has anyone had luck with Iron Supplements??

Low iron then yes you need to increase that, ask your Dr. for a recommendation as to what and how much to take. You shouldn't have to go in and see he/r just call and talk to the nurse and they can get back to you with a good safe choice.

ALSO get them to run a diabetes test, tell them both blood and urine (sometimes it doesn't show in just blood testing) you sound like your sugar may be off....
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    10:00 pm to 5:15 am is only 71/4 hours. I know I NEED a full 8 to be my best. Try getting to bed a little earlier. Also a quick lunchtime nap of 15 minutes or so may work.

I agree I need 9 hours to feel ok. Power naps are amazing too!
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Are you desk/cubicle bound?

If I am trapped at my desk for conference calls or just work all day I start to get really tired in the afternoon. Is et a reminder on my e-mail calendar so I get up every hour and stretch and maybe walk around. It doesn't always happen but when I do it I feel better.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Def check with your doctor like these fine people said.

Personally, I have insomnia, so I'm always tired on some base level. I resolve this with 30 minute afternoon naps and chilled water (for some reason I can fall asleep just fine during the day with my light on and in a hurricane of noise but it's a multiple hour struggle at night when it's relatively quiet and dark, who knew?).
  • Maybe you need to up your carbs?

I'm not a fan of coffee so I take green tea or I have Caffeine free Thermabol which has green tea in it.

I don't feel over energised (I get jittery if I have too much caffeine) and sleep just fine, but I can focus during the day. :)
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Have your B-12 levels checked.

My thoughts exactly. I get the fog when my levels get down.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Way back, before I had lost my weight, I used to get SO tired during the day. Horribly tired. I had been reading an article in a magazine and they had a list of sleep apnea symptoms. I made a note of the symptoms and when I saw my doctor at an upcoming appointment, I mentioned all of this and requested a sleep study be done. It turned out that I stopped breathing 200+ times and never really reached the REM state of sleep. I absolutely loved my CPAP machine. For me, losing weight took care of the sleep apnea. I kind of miss the CPAP machine though, it was my best friend for about six years.

I should also point out that this is NOT 100% related to being overweight. My mom's brother and sister both have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. My dad and my brother also both use CPAP machines, so does my husband.

Here's a list of signs and symptoms from the Mayo Clinic:

The signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas overlap, sometimes making the type of sleep apnea more difficult to determine. The most common signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas include:

Excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia)
    Loud snoring, which is usually more prominent in obstructive sleep apnea
    Episodes of breathing cessation during sleep witnessed by another person
    Abrupt awakenings accompanied by shortness of breath, which more likely indicates central sleep apnea
    Awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat
    Morning headache
    Difficulty staying asleep (insomnia)
    Attention problems

When to see a doctor
    Consult a medical professional if you experience, or if your partner notices, the following:

Snoring loud enough to disturb the sleep of others or yourself
    Shortness of breath that awakens you from sleep
    Intermittent pauses in your breathing during sleep
    Excessive daytime drowsiness, which may cause you to fall asleep while you're working, watching television or even driving
    Many people don't think of snoring as a sign of something potentially serious, and not everyone who has sleep apnea snores. But be sure to talk to your doctor if you experience loud snoring, especially snoring that's punctuated by periods of silence.

Ask your doctor about any sleep problem that leaves you chronically fatigued, sleepy and irritable. Excessive daytime drowsiness (hypersomnia) may be due to other disorders, such as narcolepsy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Do you take a multivitamin? It might help.