Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

500 cal vegetarian meal ideas to prep in advance

Hi, I allow approx 500 cals for my main meal and want to prep it a day (or more if poss) in advance (that way I'm not tempted by othe foods when I'm hungry) Do you have any ideas for meal ideas? Not at all bothered by plain food etc just focused on seeing results! Thanks

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Black beans keep pretty well. Although it's true if you put them in with other things 24 hours the other things can get soggy. So you might need a couple of bowls if you want some veggies on the side.
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    This is an excellent bean-based salad that keeps well for a few days. I've halved this recipe and it is still a big bowl, btw. I think when I put it in the MFP recipe counter thing, it comes out to about 300 calories per serving, but that gives you room for some dippers (pita corners, etc). I did use the avocado and it's delicious in there :)

http://reluctantentertainer.com/2012/05/texas-caviar-bean-dip-recip-for-cinco-de-mayo-day/

Another thing I like is Bush's Best flavored beans (all kinds of cool, Mexican flavors) stuffed in taco shells then topped with avocado, cilantro, etc. I think 4 of these using large shells usually comes out to about 500 calories from what I remember.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    I'm vegan and resort to fruit a lot. Usually blended ripe bananas (easiest to digest for me when on the go). But you can do rice, pasta, potatoes. Throw those onto a salad. Rice and mangos. Pasta with homemade spaghetti sauce (tomatoes, advocation, pepper, celery).

You make a bunch of seitan from scratch (it takes at the least an hour to make and sometimes 3, but totally worth it). Wheat gluten flour and water is basically all you need. And you boil it in broth for an hour. Sometimes you can steam it for an hour and then put it in the oven to bake it.
  • Thanks everyone. I see on health & fitness blogs ppl prepping tubs of sweet potato, veggies, chicken - being a veggie means being a bit more creative doesn't it!
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    I keep a big salad base with 1-3 types of lettuce/spinach. I then keep smaller containers of other vegetables in there for an easy meal anytime. Also lentils in taco seasoning to put on salads or make tacos, you could put them in any kind of filling flavor (taco, sloppy joes, bbq, etc.) Makes for an easy meal as well.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I like to eat a variety of foods. I made a batch of these burritos a few months ago, and they were delicious and were really easy to make: http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2012/06/quinoa-fajita-burritos.html

I kept a few in the fridge after I made them and froze the rest. I was sad when I ate my last one! With reduced fat cheese they worked out to 426 calories apiece. I usually had a salad as a side dish with them.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    The Indonesian rice salad from the original Moosewood cookbook is really good. Crunchy, chewy, a little sweet and a little savory...and it keeps well in the fridge. The only change I make to the recipe linked below is I don't dump all the dressing on the salad. I am judicious with it and cut the oil back a tad.

http://livinginthekitchenwithpuppies.blogspot.com/2011/04/moosewood-mondays-sri-wasanos-infamous.html
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Veggie chilli

1/2 to 1 chilli pepper (however spicy you like it), chopped finely
    1 brown onion, chopped
    2 tins chopped tomatoes (800gr)
    1 or 2 bell peppers (depends on size), chopped
    Cup of frozen peas
    Cup of frozen sweetcorn
    Tin of kidney beans (400gr), drained and rinsed
    Chilli powder
    Ground cumin
    Fresh coriander, chopped
    Olive oil

Heat some olive oil in a saucepan. Sauté the onion until translucent. Add the chilli pepper and stir fry for a few seconds.
    Add the bell pepper and stir fry for about a minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, chilli powder and ground cumin.
    Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add the frozen peas and sweetcorn and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
    Add the fresh coriander, stir and serve. Or if you are prepping in advance, leave out the coriander and add when you've reheated it.

You can make some variations on this, like adding different veggies, for example carrots, celery, chickpeas, lentils, pinto beans etc.
    If you eat a third of this recipe it is around 350 calories and 15 grams protein. To get up to 500 calories, you could add some rice or a baked potato or something. Whatever you like to have with chilli.