Those skinny friends who say you don't need to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    My issue is more people who said they never remember me being that big. Or that I wasn't big in the first place. I find that quite amusing. Think people are being polite. Only my young cousin will say I was fat before but says I am not anymore.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When a friend was beating themselves up and insulting themselves (in the past) I would be speechless and tell them I didn't think they were fat. I didn't know a healthy way to respond to that. Now I respond a bit differently, depending on the context. I talk about fitness instead.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It's funny to me, but I don't think women in general like to compete with other women when it comes to looks, body, clothing, etc. So I see disuation as a great tactic.
    That's just an observation I've made over the years in the gym in general.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I don't understand what you are saying.

We don't like to compete, so we dissuade?

Do you learn everything you know about women from watching the movie mean girls.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have a skinny friend constantly nagging about how fat she is and how fat her husband is and how fat people are that we see in public, and it really makes me wonder what she honestly thinks of me!
  • nxiety
    nxiety Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's the kind of **** I hate. When you say you want to change something about yourself and instead of giving you encouragement they give you the whole "you're awesome the way you are" comments.

I never had to deal with it but I've seen people that have. It's frustrating. It's almost belittling, as if they're saying they agree but don't think you can. So you know what you gotta do? Do it anyways! Get in such good shape you make them all jealous.
  • RefilweMofoka
    RefilweMofoka Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I kept my weightloss journey a secret that only my family and I knew about. Its still my little secret today because my friends always go on about how I don't need to lose weight and that isn't the kinda support that I need right now.
    I also avoid talking about weight with them.

Next time they tell you how much weight they need to lose, don't be polite. Ask them what they really think of you since they believe they need to lose weight yet you're bigger than them.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Weight loss and fitness are personal issues. We are always harder on ourselves than others. Just because a person sees a shift in their own body does not mean they are scrutinizing and thinking intently about other bodies. But, personally I would never call myself fat, and certainly not when talking to people. When people talk like that I don't feel very comfortable contributing to that conversation.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I just want to be healthy. End of story (kind of...). And I think I'm going to start weeding out the friends who don't support me in my health gain...hehe...

BANG, we have a winner in these words. ( I just want to be healthy. )

Who cares what they say or think or even if it`s b/s or genuine. DO your thing, and be the best version of you, for yourself.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    You don't have to explain anything you do, it's your life and you choose how to live it. I have no idea who you are so I certainly can't tell you how to... or if a friend is trying to dissuade you.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would say just try to get to a weight that you're comfortable with and not even mention it.
    If your friends are not happy with their weight, let that be their problem.
    Focus on what makes you happy :)
    One day, hopefully, someone will notice you achievement. If not, they're blind!
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I feel like these conversations happen because we are always more critical of ourselves than we are of others. Sometimes I see people that weigh more than me and my first thought is not, they look horrible and need to lose weight. Sometimes I think they look fine. But if I were that size, I know I would feel like I needed to lose weight. I think it has to do with that self focus trait that we all have. And then it might also be a matter of being polite. It's not nice to tell your friend that they're fat and need to lose 50 pounds. It may be the truth, but it's not polite. How would you feel if the friends had said, you're fat and need to lose a lot of weight?
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've been told that, too. And it's followed up by "Even if you lose 50 pounds, you won't feel comfortable in your skin." Thanks. No, seriously...thanks. /sigh I respond with something along the lines of "Well, it's not about looks, mostly. It's about the fact that I'm already at risk for heart disease and diabetes due to genetics. I'd rather not bring it on myself by being over 100 pounds overweight."
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    'I need to drop a few pounds' type rather than my lose 28 kilos. Going well but not there yet. Appearance vs health. Sometimes vanity, sometimes other things.
    Still... It is rare that a 62kg (as an example) person would need to lose weight.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone who's clearly in a healthy or even skinny weight range says, "I need to lose weight," I like to help them out by responding, "Yeah, you really do."

Okay, no, I don't, but let's face it: in 99% of the cases the complainer would react poorly to that feedback.

Generally if someone complains about their weight, they're fishing for compliments. Even if they don't know it, they're seeking feedback that they still look great/hot/slim/whatever. EVERYONE has done this at some point in their lives.

If it really bothers you, talk to your friend. If your friend keeps doing it, avoid that person. You're supposed to be each other's support team, not one person's cheering section.
  • ariesflame
    ariesflame Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    On top of the media enforced body image issues that we all deal with when we look inward as women, we also deal with another factor of learned pretense when it comes to dealing with the outside world.

“We teach girls shame: Close your legs; cover yourself. We make them feel as though by being born female, they’re already guilty of something. As so, girls grow up to be women who cannot say they have desire. They grow up to be women who have to silence themselves. They grow up to be women who cannot say what they truly think….And they grow up to be women who have turned pretense into an art form.” – Chimamanda Adichie

Your skinny friends are just as caught up in this cycle, and perhaps don't actually have the know how to be supportive of your journey. It might not be their unwillingness to be there for you in the way you need, but a fundamental lack of ability.
  • paultucker1007
    paultucker1007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Quite a few times over the past few years, when I've mentioned to my friends that I needed to lose weight...they would tell me that I don't need to. But then they go one about how they need to lose weight...blah blah...and they are about half my size. I can't be the only one who experienced this, how do you respond to something like that?

The alternative to telling you that you don't need to lose weight is telling you you need to lose weight. Would you honestly tell a fat friend that yes, you ARE a land whale?
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've also found that there's a disconnect between how we see ourselves and how we see others. I think we are much more critical of ourselves and more forgiving of others. They may honestly not see you as needing to lose weight, but then see themselves as needing to lose weight. I'm not saying this is the case, but I know that what I see in the mirror is not what other people see when they see me.

Precisely..

too often people jump right to calling girls (and guys, as there are some guys like it, too) like this 'attention *kitten*'. When that just isn't the case. Body dysmorphia, eating disorders... they are real.And even people who don't suffer with them might struggle with self image. Because we do not see others the way they see themselves.

I struggle wearing bathing suits because I feel like my thighs are huge. Not to mention I have proof of weight loss on my thighs (stretch marks) and other things that should be insignificant, but aren't to me. Yet, everyone expects me to be comfortable in one just because I'm skinnier now. It baffles me how people automatically assume that people who are skinnier will automatically be confident. In a perfect world, everyone would be confident - regardless of size. But this is not a perfect world, so even skinny girls and boys sometimes lack body confidence.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Don't talk about it, just do it.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have three girls at work who all have virtually perfect figures but constantly say they need to lose weight!

Definition of Virtually: in effect though not in fact

See, if you told them they were actually perfect instead of virtually perfect, maybe they would be content.

*kidding
  • jessicaklessig
    jessicaklessig Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think friends just dont want you to feel worse. They want you to feel good about yourself like most people. For this reason I dont tell my friends when I trying to lose weight. When they see me next time and say WOW you look great did you lose some weight , I just feels so much better and inspiring to lose more and work harder then when someone says ," you dont need to lose weight." Just a thought.