Lose weight or gain muscle?

Options
I'm 5'4'' and I weigh 155 LBs and my BMI is 26.6. I was wondering if I should just start lifting or if I should lose weight because to be normal weight, I'd need a BMI of like 24. What should I do?

Replies

• Vivacity1
    Vivacity1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and weigh 176 so I'm opting to do dead lifts at a light weight for starters and kettleball. I was told if you build muscle it will burn fat while you sleep. Reason for me to do it this way is because every time I do cardio (high impact aerobics, dancing or running) I injure my ankles or knees or get shin splits. I will go at a slow pace and get inspiration on Pinterest.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4'' and I weigh 155 LBs and my BMI is 26.6. I was wondering if I should just start lifting or if I should lose weight because to be normal weight, I'd need a BMI of like 24. What should I do?

Why wouldn't you lift when losing weight? BMI is a poor measurement, but given your height a little cutting wouldn't hurt, but I would start lifting regardless of what you decide. The one thing that is consistent in my fitness regimen is heavy lifting.

Rigger
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Lift weight now. Lose weight until you're at a reasonable body fat level.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Start lifting...now!!!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Both
  • dmg8500
    dmg8500 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had the same question. I did some research online and decided to focus on loosing weight first. I have lifted weights before in the past when I was skinny. I blew up fast and gained muscle. If you plan on doing both you should follow your diet while lifting weights and you should still loose weight. The body needs a little extra calories in order to build muscle and the opposite to lose weight. It is debated all over the internet. Catabolic vs. Anabolic state. I am focusing on loosing weight first while doing some light strength training. Then I will start lifting heavy once I loose about 10 more pounds.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If you are in caloric deficit it is a very good idea to lift at the same time to minimise the lose of muscle.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Lifting while losing.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I can assure you, lifting is a great way to lose weight along with some form of cardio regime. How do I know this? I've learned the hard way! I severely cut my cal intake for a very long time and did alot of cardio, no weights. The results? Worse health than I have ever been in and muscle loss on a devastating level. You will lose fat the most efficiently using a combination of the two techniques. Weight on the scale is no indicator of fat loss, look in the mirror, ask your friends, how do you feel? These are the best ways to tell if you're making progress! I hope it helps! :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You can still lift while you're losing :)