Too thin?

Options
I had my son in October 2013 and I've steadily lost my baby weight. I'm 5'7 and I weighed 136 lbs a couple of weeks ago at a doctor's appointment (I don't own a scale and don't weigh myself often). The past two months or so I get told almost daily that I look very thin, 'skeletal,' etc. I don't understand how I could look too thin at 136 lbs?! It's normal BMI range. Anyone else had this happen at a very normal weight?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm 5"8 tall and weigh 135. I don't look very thin at all. But I guess everyone has a different body shape. Maybe post some pictures and get opinions that way, it's really hard to tell without pics
  • marleyskye05
    marleyskye05 Posts: 138
    Options
    I am 5'7 and weight 125 lbs. I do not look skeletal by any means but wouldn't want to weigh any less then where I am now. That being said everybody carries weight differently, but your weight is in a healthy range for your height, don't listen to them :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough that was pretty much me after I had my daughter when I was 19. I'm the same height & was approx. the same weight I was also told (& thought) I looked too thin. In my case I think I was due to my weight being proportional all over which possibly made me appear smaller than I was.

Plus I would say that although I was "thin" I had lost quite a bit of muscle mass along with the weight. I think if I'd been building muscle through exercise at the time aside from just losing the weight through diet it would have made a difference.

*Adding - I definitely think there is a big difference between looking "lean" & looking "thin/underweight".
  • smille01
    smille01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Exactly, I think I lost quite a bit of muscle during my pregnancy (I had to be on modified bed rest due to high blood pressure). Now that I'm seeing you ladies' post I feel better. I'd like to be at 125, but I'm not sure if that would be too low for me (I am medium boned).
  • smille01
    smille01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow! I would think you would be tiny at 5'8 135!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Wow! I would think you would be tiny at 5'8 135!

Nope, not at all. :-) I think I'm rather average looking. But since everyone is shaped differently, it could be a low weight for some. I actually think I'm more average though. So I'm sure you look just fine at 136 :-)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't take into account your body composition. Depending on your muscle, bone, and fat ratios, you could look perfectly healthy at 136. You could also look skeletal and too thin. When you are at a normal weight, the scale isn't always the best judge of how you look, which is why a lot of people focus more on measurements when they are at or close to their goal weight. I'm about 10 lbs above my MFP "goal weight" but I could easily end up above or below that number when I've achieved my "goal body."

If you've lost a lot of muscle, you might be better off focusing on body recomposition than weight loss.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You're at a normal, healthy weight. No worries!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's probably just a perception because you don't have a small human attached to your abdomen anymore. I am 5'7" and in the range of 125-130, and I don't look in the least bit skeletal. I have a good bit of muscle on my frame now from strength training as well.

People get accustomed to seeing you one way, and when you change so fast, most exaggerate the difference.
  • BornxVillain
    BornxVillain Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well I am a shrimp compared to you, so it may be different but I'm 5ft - 108lbs, and Everyone has this strong idea that I am getting way too thin while I'm stuck in the mentality that I still have 8-13lbs to lose depending on how I weigh out. It feels like no one really sees me but myself and I really hate it.. I feel really big while everyone's telling me I'm getting too thin, even my doctor. :( What do I do?!