Weighing Fruits ?

Options
gcbma
gcbma Posts: 112 Member
This is such a newbie question, but I don't care for fruits, but when I do consume I'd like to be accurate. Do you weigh the whole apple? Core included? And banana, weight with, or without skin? I know, I know. Stupid... But I'm curious!

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    You don't weigh what you don't eat. Peels, cores, etc.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I weigh what I eat - if I take a whole piece of fruit in my lunch to work where I don't have my scale I will just find a suitable entry for the size of apple (small, medium or large). After a while of weighing things though you can pretty much estimate how much a banana or apple weighs minus the peel or core.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    the only stupid questions are those we dont ask :0)

I weight the whole fruit, then whatever I dont eat I just forget about it. It is minimal anyway excluding watermelon.

by the way congratulation on your weight loss and Im sure that you are counting calories accuratly to have such great results.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have been known to weigh an apple, then weigh the core when I am done and subtracting it. Fruits are the most difficult to get really accurate so do your best. The sugar and water content will vary from crop to crop (and field to field of the same crop) especially in the more watery things like berries. You will never get it exact but can get close enough.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Not a stupid question :smile:

Since most of my fruit is cut up I will weigh it to get a real idea what I am eating, but there are times when you have to estimate. Things like bananas and whole apples or oranges, for the most part I go with size, and I usually try and buy them small - because usually you will only eat one whether it's big or small :smile:
  • aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If I'm near my scale when I eat a banana I'll weigh it with the peel, eat the banana, weigh the peel and then subtract so I just get the accurate weight
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't count the pit, but I'm not entirely sure you shouldn't count it.