Exercise question :)

Options
Hiya all,

Firstly, hello! This is my first post :)

Just a quick background on my situation. Hubby and I have both been advised to loose weight by the fertility clinic we are attending. We've been trying to conceive for about 15 months. We started our weight loss in January and have both lost 44lbs (how strange it's the same amount?!) so far. We are aiming for another 30lbs (well I am!) I don't feel any different or look any different (people tell me I do but I don't see it myself) but my clothes are looser!!

Anyway,

6 months in and we are on target. We knew it wasn't going to be easy and that it wasn't going to happen fast. We planned on 6 stone each by the end of 2014. We eat a controlled diet, so chicken and turkey, veggies, oranges, red grapes (they are apparently the best for fertility!), homemade veg soup, crumpets, puffed wheat cereals, jelly and lots of salad! We don't always eat them but those things are part of our weekly diet. We plan every meal and ingredient to a tee and that saves money and we don't over buy. We have a wipe board menu that is filled in every week, we take it in turns to cook so that we are both learning and it also incorporates hubby shifts. This month though we have decided that we are going to change things a bit and trying all new recipes instead of sticking to what we know (and enjoy I must add) but it never hurts to try!!
One thing that is concerning me is our exercise though. I'm worried I'm not getting the right amount of resistance and cardio? I would just like to hear other peoples opinions on this. Currently we do 1 x zumba, 1 x yoga, 1 x body sculpting yoga and 1 x spinning class. I also do an extra zumba and hubby plays football. We also have sex at least three times a week (of course!).
So my questions are: is this a good balance of resistance and cardio? I know the resistance will be the yoga! We aren't going to put on weight by doing the spinning are we? I've just read an article saying it's NOT good for weight loss?! And I suppose this is a broad questions and one of personal opinion but are we doing ok? As in are we loosing enough weight in that time? Or is there any advice anyone has for us in the future?

Sorry this post has been a bit long, I just wanted to make sure it had all the info in!

Looking forward to your responses!!

J&K :)

Replies

• johnandkymberley
    johnandkymberley Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to quickly add we both drink a least two litres of water a day :)
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    1. Good balance: Since it appears your primary goal is to loose weight, yes. I think so.

2. Spinning and weight loss: You are burning energy (calories) so it can only contribute to weight loss not hinder it.

3. Are you doing ok: You have lost 44 lbs.! That is a great accomplishment! IMO you are doing "OK".

4. Enough weight over time: You have lost weight at a healthy rate and 15 months should be plenty of time to lose another 30 if you stick with it.

Congratulations on your success so far!
  • johnandkymberley
    Options
    Thanks cantfail,

Im just worried as people have said that our weight loss will slow down, which I obviously don't want to happen!! Xx
  • johnandkymberley
    Options
    Bump, in case anyone else has anything to add :)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Any exercise will help - it won't hinder weight loss, if you start something new you might retain a bit of water as your body adjusts to the new challenges but do whatever exercise you enjoy. Also don't just go by the scale, you may lose inches and no weight as you gain more muscle. Muscle is good!

Congrats on your success so far! Good luck with the family planning!
  • johnandkymberley
    Options
    Thanks knra, I'm worried though that I'm going to get massive thighs doing spinning though!! I suppose I shouldn't read so much on google! I'm only doing one session though and not taking any protein shakes or anything. I want my other 3 stone to drop of quickly!!

Thanks for the luck too, I'm hoping the IVF will give us the two lines we desperately want! Xxxx
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You won't gain massive thighs, you cannot build muscle eating at a deficit anyway. :)
  • johnandkymberley
    Options
    Oh thanks ravenmiss, you've stopped me worrying!!

Do you think my cadio and resistance ratio is good?

I'm so scared I'm gunna mess up :( xxxx
  • johnandkymberley
    Options
    Bumps :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You're doing a fine job, great work on the food (which is the primary element of weight loss), and you've got a good mix of exercise in there as a bonus.

My only niggle is you seem to be stressing about it a little. I can completely understand that you want to get it right, but being over-stressed is not helpful for either weight loss or conception. Do you find yoga helps to "centre" you?
  • johnandkymberley
    Options
    Hi Melanie,

Oh yes yoga deffo de stresses me, I didn't go last Saturday though as my instructor was on holiday! Maybe that's why I feel like this?

I think it's because I'm so focused and passionate about it I can't seem to forget about it,does that make sense?!

Xxx