Cauliflower

Options
:embarassed: Im having a hard time trying to figure out recipes for cooking cauliflower.. the only thing i can think of is boiling, steaming. Help me please if you have any ideas it will help alot. thankyou

Replies

• michellemarcotteartist
    Options
    Toss cauliflower flowerettes with a small amount of olive oil and small amount chopped garlic, sprinkle curry powder, salt and pepper. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam and roast in a 350degree oven until tender.
    At the same time you can roast other vegetables such as red peppers, Roma tomatoes and eggplant.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You can roast it, you can mash it, you can put it next to the word "recipes" on google and get hundreds of ideas.
  • maireailbhe
    maireailbhe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with Michelle. Roast it! It comes out tasting very nutty, especially if you let it caramelize a bit from the oil. It's my favorite way to eat it. I've also had it as a salad, thinly slicing the florets from the side so that they look like sheets of cauliflower. You use a vinaigrette with it, and serve it with diced peppers, onions, etc. (whatever you like in a salad); that's really refreshing in the summer. I've also seen recipes (though haven't tried them yet) where you grate the cauliflower so that it becomes little bits that take the place of rice in a fried rice dish. You'd just stir-fry it til it's done. Looks good!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love it roasted, you can use all sorts oh herbs and spices on it, morroccan is good! It's great as a creamy soup base, I like it mashed with some cheese and sour cream, it's good as a bake with some cheese and bacon...
  • carpetbagger12000
    carpetbagger12000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cut cauliflower into florets and sauté in the wok with olive oil, salt, a chopped clove of garlic and whatever seasonings you like. I sprinkle in some black pepper and dill weed.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Roasted; mashed with potato or as Cauliflower cheese
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Pizza crust, mashed "potatoes", "rice", and "buffalo wings"! I haven't tried them yet, but all the recipes for those using cauliflower sound and look so good!
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    love it to replace mashed potatoes :) I also love it in devilled eggs. replace the yolk with mashed cauliflower
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Here's one thing I like: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Cauliflower-238089

Another idea, if you have the time: remove the leaves from a head of cauliflower. Steam it upright for about 45 minutes, until it's getting tender. Then coat the exterior with a mix of plain lowfat yogurt and the spices of your choice (I like curry and paprika with a bit of salt and pepper). Roast it in a 450-degree oven until the cauliflower is done to your liking and the crust is golden.

You can also core it first, then roast it, as in this recipe:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Whole-Roasted-Cauliflower-with-Olive-Oil-and-Capers-236377
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Spicy cauliflower: Break it into florets and put is in a pot with a glass lid. Season with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Do NOT add water. Put it on low. When the steam starts to form on the lid, stir it and put the lid back on. Continue to do that until it reaches the desired tenderness.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    As the others, I love it roasted or mashed (I just add a bit of cream cheese, salt and pepper).