how to measure your waist

Options
I always thought and read that you measure your waist around your navel. However, the consultant I had at the YMCA today measured high up on my waist--way above my navel--like around my rib cage. and no, this wasn't a chest measurement. just curious.

also, she used a machine called omron where i held on to the sides of the machine, with my arms straight forward and it delivered an electric impulse to my body to determine body fat. anyone familar with this machine?

Replies

• sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Your waist is where you bend when you lean sideways.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I measure the smallest circumfrence of my sides. As I lose weight, it gets lower and closer to the '2 inches above bellybutton' area.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    In healthcare, we measure at the umbilicus.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    THIS. Many people's navel line up with this so many use the navel, but the above is the correct way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was the smallest point. I also measure at my belly button too (they aren't the same place) because for some reason my "smallest place" doesn't change size much. I just don't hold fat there.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

YUP. I measure at my bendy part which is a tad higher than my belly button.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I measure my "natural waist" where it's the smallest and at my navel. There's literally a 4 inch difference and I'm in pretty decent shape. It sucks though, when trying to use the BF% calculators because some ask for the measurement at the "waist" and some ask for the measurement at the "navel." That significantly impacts my results. :blushing:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Natural waist is where you bend. Sometimes the medical community wants that measurement, sometimes the one at your navel.

The one at the navel sucks for us short and short-waisted folks. Then I have to measure across the top of my hip bones (yeah, I'm real sure that's a good 'waist' measurement).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Also, she used a machine called omron where i held on to the sides of the machine, with my arms straight forward and it delivered an electric impulse to my body to determine body fat. anyone familar with this machine?

You can get these for home use too, have a look on Amazon - Omron BF508 is the model I use. With foot and hand sensors it's "probably" more accurate than just the hand-helds you tend to see in gyms. I took one along to a BodPod scan and the body fat reading was only 0.4% different. All electrical impedance devices are very susceptible to hydration levels though.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. i was a little surprised by my low bf of 16.8...and surprised at my waist measurement of 27. I really don't think she was measuring the smallest part of my waist. whatever, i guess. now i start to exercise! nervous.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I guess what perplexes me is jean size. Jeans come in sizes any where from 24 on up. yet, the jeans never touch the part of my waist (way above navel) that was measured. In fact, all of my jeans are a few inches below navel. are jeans sizes not based on waist measurements?
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I always measure or consider my waist to be around my belly button. That is where I like the waist of my pants to be. On the other hand, where my body bends is at a different spot that is much smaller...
  • rosemary98
    Options
    can I really do anything about my waist measurement. I am less than 17 body fat and 98 pounds. is it possible for me to get a smaller waist? or am I after something my body can't physically achieve. because I had a baby and have slight separation of muscle, I can't do the hardcore crunches or ab workouts...I can do pilates and yoga.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My waist will not get any smaller. Just the way my body is. I am tall and I have a medium-sized frame.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If your muscles separated due to pregnancy as you say, you shouldn't be doing traditional crunches and ab work anyways. I've read it makes the problem worse. If it bothers you enough, see a physiotherapist for help with that.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    If your muscles separated due to pregnancy as you say, you shouldn't be doing traditional crunches and ab work anyways. I've read it makes the problem worse. If it bothers you enough, see a physiotherapist for help with that.

I know, I won't be doing traditional ab workouts for that reason. Also, I measured again, and my waist measured 25 at the narrowest part. I wasn't sucking in or pulling on the measuring tape either. she just measured me wrong...and with my t-shirt and long-sleeve shirt on.
  • etiapef
    etiapef Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    the same thing is happening to me it sucks
  • etiapef
    etiapef Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I measure my "natural waist" where it's the smallest and at my navel. There's literally a 4 inch difference and I'm in pretty decent shape. It sucks though, when trying to use the BF% calculators because some ask for the measurement at the "waist" and some ask for the measurement at the "navel." That significantly impacts my results. :blushing:

the same thing is happening to me it sucks
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    As long as you use the same thing every time, you'll get an accurate measurement. I measure the smallest part because that's the easiest.

Landmarks (like the belly button) only matter if different people will be doing the measuring. If they all use the belly button, odds are good that measurements will be consistent.

Since you are always measuring you, you can do whatever you want. :)