Tips on teaching a kid to ride a bike?

Options
jiigglybutt
jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
I want to start riding my bike around the park. I got one of those trailers for my little ones, and my oldest wants to ride her bike with me- she doesn't know how though.

I don't really know how to begin teaching my daughter to ride a bike. She's had training wheels for years and she's at an age now (7) where she is shy to be the only kid in the neighborhood still using them. I'm the absolute worst at explaining what to do.

Should I just take them off and kick her out of the nest? :huh:

What are some tips for me and what are some tips I should give her?

Replies

• DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Here's how we did it. Seemed to work pretty well.

Get a specialized wrench for removing the pedals on the bike. (I don't know why they make it with a special nut, but apparently they do.) Remove the pedals.

Lower the seat as far as it will go, so her feet can be on the ground when she's sitting.

Let her "pedal" around using the bike as a push bike. Get used to the feeling of moving around that way.

Work up to pushing herself forward, first one foot, then the other foot.

When that feels okay, put the pedals back on.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's a little harder for kids who had training wheels, because they think they know how to ride. But make a big deal about taking them off and staring over.

Then you just put them on and hold them up until they get their balance. Learning to start and (even harder) stop takes a little extra time.

All kids learn and yours will, too. :)

If you think this is rough, wait until you're their passenger in a car.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Training wheels really don't work, not really. Push bikes or coast bikes work better.

I rode at a late age, too.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    We started ours on the grass. Hold the back of the seat as they get moving, then let go but stay running behind them. The grass keeps them slow enough. If they start to wobble, you can support again, but as long as they keep pedaling they will get there!

Good luck.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

If you think this is rough, wait until you're their passenger in a car.

Amen to that! We're going through that now.
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I still remember the way my parents taught me. Worked pretty well!

Lower the seat so that she's not only flat footed, but has her knees comfortably bent. This way, she doesn't have far to fall, which adds some comfort for both of you! You can always adjust this for comfort later.

The hardest part is getting moving without falling over, which is taught in 2 parts: comfort with falling (because she will), and comfort with going from stopped to moving, where she will be the most unbalanced. First, hold onto the back of her the seat so the bike is upright and her feet on the peddles, and just hold it there. Then surprise her and tip it a little to either side so she starts to fall (slowly!). She'll catch herself with her feet, which is the point of the exercise. Let her prove to herself that she can catch herself in a fall safely. My parents made this part a joke like they were going to let me fall, but it served a dual purpose (of course, I found this out MUCH later :)). When she's convinced she can catch herself, hold her up again by the back of the seat, then go on the count of 3: you push, she peddles out of your hand simultaneously. Then tell her to stop after 20-30ft. You know, far enough that she can get moving, but not far enough to gain a lot of speed and scare herself.

Then have her stop peddling and coast so she's not overwhelmed by trying to multitask, have her apply the rear brake.

Consider disabling the front brake for the initial lessons so she doesn't go over the bars. When she gets comfortable stopping, explain how to use the front brake safely.

Hope that helps!
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think just taking the training wheels off the bike will be OK, but the TIME you do it may be important. First - she can get away from you fast, second distractions or alot of people will make this more difficult, and third terrain will matter also.

Tennis shoes, jeans, a long shirt even if it is thin burn-out material and get bike gloves. This generally protects against the worse of the burn she will get if/when she falls. Don't make it a huge deal, just take your wrench with you and after some riding with the wheels, remove them.

All just suggestions,
    My learning was thus: we were really poor and it sounds worse than it was but I had a neighbor brave the wrath of her step-mom and let me learn on her bike, however, that required me coasting perpetually down a 10-14% grade, then have about 60 foot of level surface to stop before I either crashed into large trees, overgrown bushes and if I was going fast enough, the creek beyond. Months later I was a great rider. However, it ruined me for going uphill, I still LOVE taking trails that I can be dropped off up top.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    just hold the seat and run behind her and tell her to pedal slow and keep going and when she gets her balance you can let go, she will be riding in no time.
  • tominthecity
    tominthecity Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My son learned to ride a bike just fine with training wheels, When they start, the training wheels should be at the same level as the bike wheels. Then you gradually raise them so they get higher and higher and they will naturally learn the balance. When you notice that the child is not longer relying on them, you take them off. This happened pretty quickly with my son. In about a week, we was riding without the training wheels. I found it to be a pretty painless process, at least for me. We used a local bike path so we could go some distance without worry about cars and traffic.

Earlier I tried steadying the bike while he rode. This was the advice I was given. It turned out to be a disaster. I could not keep up with him and it was very painful for both of us. Training wheels work like a charm if you use them correctly and don't use them to long.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    My son learned to ride a bike just fine with training wheels, When they start, the training wheels should be at the same level as the bike wheels. Then you gradually raise them so they get higher and higher and they will naturally learn the balance. When you notice that the child is not longer relying on them, you take them off. This happened pretty quickly with my son. In about a week, we was riding without the training wheels. I found it to be a pretty painless process, at least for me. We used a local bike path so we could go some distance without worry about cars and traffic.

Earlier I tried steadying the bike while he rode. This was the advice I was given. It turned out to be a disaster. I could not keep up with him and it was very painful for both of us. Training wheels work like a charm if you use them correctly and don't use them to long.

This! This is how I learned to ride and there was no falling over, skinned knees and tears. Just bend the wheels up a little so she's learning to balance but they'll catch if she falls. Eventually, they won't be touching the ground at all. Taught my son the same way... at four. He's never had a bike wreck. (Knock on wood)
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Take the training wheels off and tell her to keep pedaling and not look down.
  • DollfaceLisa
    DollfaceLisa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I told my daughter to keep pedaling no matter what and she would end up going whatever direction she was looking. If she looked down, she would fall. If she looked up she would go straight and if she looked to the side she would turn. I only had to push her a few times before she could start on her own but I taught her before she thought she couldn't do it.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late response, but thanks EVERYONE for the advice!! A lot of things I've never even thought of. The training wheels are off and she's doing great! She's still skeptical about turning and stopping but I don't think she realizes how good she's doing. I think all that's missing now is a little confidence which we are working on :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Get the to watch the other kids ride their ones. My son could not learn it at all, he has a learning problem to begin with. He would fall off the moment I let go. 5 mins after watching the other kid in the area on their bikes & he was out riding his own easily. Try that.

EDIT: I should mention he went from no training wheels to riding right off. So from falling off to just going. I think in some cases training wheels develop some kind of dependence. I know it took me till the age of about 8 before I could ride a bike cause of them.