Is the 30 day shred that good?

Options
I've been hearing a lot about it and am wondering if people have really seen such great results? I'm always a little wary of characters like Gillian Micheals because I fear she is now more so a name than a trainer (I mean no affront!)
So can anyone offer me any testimonies?

Replies

• emc1989
    emc1989 Posts: 6
    Options
    I tried 30DS a while ago, it is very tiring (even level 1!). There are 3 different levels and you are supposed to spend 10 days on each level however if it's too easy then move up a level.

I gave up after 7 days but it was brilliant, I managed to drop a whole dress size in those 7 days so do wish I had carried it on. I am definitely thinking about giving it another go. If you stick at it then yes it is so worth it.
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It was a good "gateway" into fitness for me, but I didn't see huge results. I lost about five pounds. To be fair, I also hadn't really dialed in my nutrition at that point either, so I'm sure I could have gotten better results if I had been better about that. It's a good workout, but I did think it got a little boring after awhile--you're doing the same thing for ten days or more. Also, it's pretty old at this point! Like, over ten years. I think some of her more recent videos are a bit better, like check out Ripped in 30.
  • thanks everyone! I'd like to lose 15 pounds and I have three weeks until a hiking trip so I'd like to loose at least four pounds. Hopefully this should help me some
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed it and have seen results (2 inches from waist, 1 from hips... also eating a calorie deficit) and I'm not even finished yet. I also have gotten some nice toning on my arms. I agree it is a good one to start with. But, yes, it does get boring!!!! I am so tired of Jillian and her cronies, but it does work! lol

I'm looking forward to moving on to something else. (Just ordered T25!)
  • emc1989
    emc1989 Posts: 6
    Options
    I think it is definitely worth a try, I would advise trying to eat cleaner alongside it just to help give you that boost but I personally think 4lbs is not unrealistic by doing the 30DS and eating right. Good luck!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Never did a thing for me.

I did giggle at the "Lose 20lbs in a month" thing on the cover, or whatever it did say. Like really ? But I am
    sure that it does sell dvd's to vulnerable people.

I gave that dvd to my sister.
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty low fitness level when I started the shred and it kicked my *kitten* into shape. I didn't do that workout exclusively, I used a few of her workouts from youtube two or three times a week and eventually added in some weight training. But she definitely got at least a stone off me and massively improved my strength and general fitness.

I really like the variation in the moves, the circuit training style workout really suits me. Personally the idea of spending an hour on an elliptical makes me want to kill myself, so if you feel the same way then give it a go!
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's my go-to workout when I want something effective and quick... It's only 25 minutes so I have a hard time using the "not enough time to work out" excuse! By now, I've memorized all her comments so I just put her on mute and turn up my music. Done in no time!
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your fitness level and body. I have done the program several times in the past, never seeing a results except for endurance. With this being said I do have a friend, that I know in real life, who dropped many pounds and inches by just doing this program on it's own. I didn't lose a single pound or inch until I started incorporating it with cardio on different days since she does a very small amount of cardio in her DVDs. I have found, for me, that Jillian Michaels DVDs are a great beginner strength training workout but unless you are doing some other cardio workout such as kickboxing, running, biking,and/ or step aerobics along with it you are not going to get the results that she claims you will get by doing it alone.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It was a good "gateway" into fitness for me, but I didn't see huge results. I lost about five pounds. To be fair, I also hadn't really dialed in my nutrition at that point either, so I'm sure I could have gotten better results if I had been better about that. It's a good workout, but I did think it got a little boring after awhile--you're doing the same thing for ten days or more. Also, it's pretty old at this point! Like, over ten years. I think some of her more recent videos are a bit better, like check out Ripped in 30.
    Same here - it was a great starting point for me - went all out with it my first day, used the only dumbbells I had (5lbs) - and then I could barely move for three days after that. :tongue: I learned new things, found new strength, flexibility and endurance through the workout, and moved on to other workouts over time. That was over three years ago - I've progressed a lot since then!

It's just a workout - yeah it's Jillian and I sure don't agree with everything she says or pushes these days, but it's still a good workout. You get out of it what you put into it, just like any workout. It's a nice mix of some strength & cardio, a little ab work, so a decent total body workout. But it's not magic formula. You can find it online for free on You Tube I think, or check your local library for it and other workout DVDs - nice to try them out before dropping the cash. Find what you like, do a variety of things to avoid boredom, and have some fun!
  • Sauleeh
    Sauleeh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have 9 days left of the shred. Level 1 can be boring, really enjoyed Level 2 & I finished day 1 of Level 3. I like it! I am not an very active person. Haven't seen huge results, but mostly because of my poor diet. It's nice and quick, get it done in the morning. Feel better after starting it. I have noticed more muscles on my arms, and my abs (even with the fat ontop) seem slimmer in a way. You can always do the 30 Day Shred AND other activities for more results. I will be moving to Ripped in 30 after this.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I prefer Ripped in 30 to the Shred. I like her workouts and slip them in for a quick fix when I can't make it to the gym to lift or go for a run outside.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    30-day shred was my 'gateway' workout too. I never had any real opinion on her & just started it because so many here used it. I had pretty good results in that it really increased my general endurance & fitness levels, rather than sculpting anything :) I think I lost 6? lb while using the dvd.

Later I started listening to her podcast on iTunes. She has an interesting story and is much more than just a fitness trainer. If you listen to podcasts I suggest you try them - her producer Janice is hilarious. When a caller mentions they use the 30-day shred her replies are almost embarrassed - says the dvd is so old & she's refined her training so much since then.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No--it is a mediocre exercise routine. In some ways, it's the worst of both worlds--many of the movements are too challenging for beginners to do effectively or comfortably, but overall the workouts are not challenging enough for someone with a higher level of fitness.

The choreography is unbalanced, and Michaels knowledge of exercise physiology is laughable.

If someone gave you a free copy, I suppose it's better than nothing--although you will hurt a lot more than you need to. But I would never spend a penny to actually purchase it.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    For me? Yes. Lost inches, gained balance, and confidence. Everyone is different when it comes to what they respond to, or works for them. You will not know till you try. youtube video of first level 30DSJM so you can try out first, before investing in a DVD. If it works for you , find used DVD of workout to get all 3 levels.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like it. It's what I started with back in March. I still do it on days when I don't have time to get to the gym.
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I did it for a couple weeks and it was great, but it really messed up my knee so I had to stop. There is a lot of jumping. BUT you do lose weight/inches if you stick with it!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    It was a great starting point for me.

30 Day Shred led to Insanity, then New Rules of Lifting for Women and finally Stronglifts which I'm still doing. I completed each program and honestly credit 30DS to giving me my 'start' in fitness.

its a great dvd - I highly recommend it
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    It was a great starting point for me, too. It helped me recover from a full-term twin pregnancy that ended with bed rest. I got a lot stronger. I did other things after that and eventually got into running and now weight lifting.