Guy stuck for a year with no progress, please read

Options
I am 5'7 with 26% body fat and 150 pounds. For about a year I have been like this and im stuck spinning in a circle with zero progress and I want to change but do not know what to do.

The problem areas for me are the back of my thighs, butt, legs and stomach. They all have visible saggy droopy fatty that its really bringing me down. My arms are tiny but toned and above my stomach im happy with the way I look.

Originally I have been fat my entire life and never have been active. After a car accident while recovering I dropped from 199 lbs to at my lowest 140. Even when I was at my lowest weight I had the problem areas above. I achieved that weight loss by consuming little food, alot of cardio and zero other exercise... which I have later read is the worst way possible to do it.

Now for about a year I have been exercising with dumbbells to help strengthen a bad shoulder from my car accident. I also have been more active overall. Problem is I have zero progress from the day I started aside from stronger arms. I have a job where I sit on my butt 8 hours a day and I consume on average around 1200 calories a day.

I do not know what to do. I want to lose this fat so bad and turn not only my body but my life around as well.

Replies

• aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Are you certain the saggy droopy flab is excess fat and not excess skin? Excess fat means you need to lose weight but if it is loose skin then losing weight will make it even worse.
  • backwards90
    Options
    Are you certain the saggy droopy flab is excess fat and not excess skin? Excess fat means you need to lose weight but if it is loose skin then losing weight will make it even worse.

Yes its visible celluite at least on my back thighs/butt anyway. If I drop more weight I fear im going to have zero muscle and still have all this fat on my body. I feel like I would need to drop to 130 lbs in my mind to rid all of the visible fat and I dont think that would be healthy.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The post says you are a man but your profile says female. So which? Well you're not consuming 1200 calories a day as you would have already lost weight. You are likely to be eating far more than you think. Technically you are already within a healthy weight range losing another 10 pounds will still keep you within that. However maybe you need to do that in conjunction with some appropriate weight training as it sounds like that could be more of a solution to your problem. Pop over to the fitness board and there are some knowledgeable people there who will be able to point you in the right direction.

As for your logging you need to find out how much you are actually eating then set some appropriate weightloss targets. You should be able to eat more than 1200 and still lose. It will be slow though as you don't have much to lose.Have a look at the links one will help you to get your logging accurate and the other with the best way to set MFP up for your targets. Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • backwards90
    Options
    The post says you are a man but your profile says female. So which? Well you're not consuming 1200 calories a day as you would have already lost weight. You are likely to be eating far more than you think. Technically you are already within a healthy weight range losing another 10 pounds will still keep you within that. However maybe you need to do that in conjunction with some appropriate weight training as it sounds like that could be more of a solution to your problem. Pop over to the fitness board and there are some knowledgeable people there who will be able to point you in the right direction.

As for your logging you need to find out how much you are actually eating then set some appropriate weightloss targets. You should be able to eat more than 1200 and still lose. It will be slow though as you don't have much to lose.Have a look at the links one will help you to get your logging accurate and the other with the best way to set MFP up for your targets. Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

I just noticed my profile says 35 year old female lol! Guess I'll be making a new one, I'm a male and 23 :D

Your right I'm going to start counting my calories tomorrow with the fitnesspal app. I been following the same meal plan ever since I started losing weight so nothing has changed there it's just like I have hit a brick wall and zero fat is coming off just muscle.
  • backwards90
    Options
    Any other thoughts?
  • meltoine
    meltoine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try a heavy lifting program, like stronglifts. Doing that while eating at maintenance will build muscle in your problem areas, and the muscle will in turn burn the fat you're looking to get rid of. The fitness board has lots of great advice and before/after for heavy lifting programs.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Start lifting. Not just your arms. 1200 cals for a male is crazy talk. recalculate your tdee. eat more and fuel your body.
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would keep in mind to reasses every now and then. And as u just learned from fatdoob....you need to change goals so yhat you dont get in a rut again. MFP is only as good as the info and effort you put into it. Good luck my friend.
  • PhilosopherHCS
    PhilosopherHCS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey man I have wrestled with the same problem. The deal is that you and me are skinnyfat. What you ought to do is develop a lean base, otherwise it will be a LONG time before you are anywhere close to well-proportioned and good-looking. To do this, you should weight train on a moderate caloric deficit. Cardio optional. Your daily cals will probably be around 1600. Cut down to 10-12% body fat. You should be able to do it in about 6 months. it will take a while but stay consistent. You'll be a skinny dude but way better than you are now.
  • eternalsepicsanctuary
    eternalsepicsanctuary Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First, Be careful with protein. Protein is excellent source when turned into muscle, but how much and how French can put on bulk for those that want weight and muscle. If you take in a lot of protein it could turn to weight. Lean body's verse bulk bides different amounts of protein are required. Also what type of exercise you do. If protein is stored it will make you fat. Body builders don't see this cause they doing types of exercises that Et up and use it to repair muscle. With cardio and looking for a leaner frame careful on portion size but do eat often in small amounts. I have talked to a few who've had similar or gained weight once lessened in protein started dropping. Big thing I'd like to ask is on your dily consumption of water intake. This s very important. Also age s important but you seem you're so if you were thirty or forty or above metabolism can become stubborn. I don't know what type of foods your eating but I find cardio and other likes more important then diet. Your body can gt accustomed to foods .. What most don't know is eating the same foods overtime lose a little in nutritional values change up the foods but do same thing your doing. Your body also can get accustomed to exercise.. Change in the number or try another cardio program. Try another: swimming, aerobics, walking, hiking, biking. Add in something even. Some coud be from older weight skin sagging. Honestly chin up.. Keep going and good dea looking for advise, research r ask a fitness trainer. I hope I was helpful. I'm not a pro but I have been researching an awful lot for monthes on all sorts of topics. Wish you the best my friend keep going strong!
  • eternalsepicsanctuary
    eternalsepicsanctuary Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Excuse the typos and word check,
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Any other thoughts?

You're totally a chick, bro.

So some thoughts, you're in PT for the shoulder? Have you talked to your PT office and see if they have any of the tools necessary to get a BMR and body fat %?

Since your shoulder is compromised, you might want to talk to your PT about your goals. Essenaitlly you want to lose fat, but keep or build upon current muscle level. That's a tough row to hoe, however your PT can help figure out something to help you maintain current lean muscle mass.

Since the shoulder is a problem, talk to your pt about a lifting routine and what it takes to do one with your restrictions, part of a PT's job is to help you learn to manage your issue for living, not just fix the weakness.

Also, once you find that BMR, eat above it. Set a legit calorie goal, not this 1200 calorie stuff, and properly fuel yourself for being active. Then, go be active.

Get out of your head being concerned with the flabby hanging stuff right now, focus on creating a strong baseline to start from. Also, with your size, I'd ask... ever consider running or endurance sports? Or climbing rock? Your low weight will really pay dividends in things like that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    "How much and how french."

Funny enough, this question is not alien to me.
  • backwards90
    Options
    Thanks everyone this has been really helpful and I'm starting to get a clear picture of what I need to do!
  • aedreana
    Options
    Cellulite is fat. That is a much better situation to be in than loose skin. Actually 130 would be a good weight for.your height. Maybe even lower than that. 120?
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is fat. That is a much better situation to be in than loose skin. Actually 130 would be a good weight for.your height. Maybe even lower than that. 120?

The OP said that he was a man. For a man, weighing 120lbs is too low.
  • danfeldman494
    danfeldman494 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey dude,

It sounds to me like you actually aren't eating enough - 1200 cals per day is not enough for a guy. It sounds like you're metabolism might be screwed up. It's not uncommon for people trying to lose weight to eat TOO little and exercise TOO much.

I strongly recommend that you take a break from trying to lose fat, and focus on getting healthy and strong. I suggest doing some strength training - pullups, pushups, tricep dips, squats, etc. And start eating more good, healthy food. Eat lots of veggies and lean protein (chicken, lean beef, salmon, tuna, etc). Focus on long term health. Once you've put on a good amount of muscle, then maybe try to lose fat slowly.

I promise you'll be able to lose fat eventually, but you'll have to fix your body first.

Good luck my friend
  • aedreana
    Options
    One of my male friends in his 50s is 115 lbs. at 5' 6" and his weight is ideal for him.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    One of my male friends in his 50s is 115 lbs. at 5' 6" and his weight is ideal for him.
    115 lbs. at 5'6" is considered well below healthy by BMI, even for a woman.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    a 115 lb man?!?!!! Way too thin!!!