Fat loss help?

Options
elliej
elliej Posts: 466 Member
Hi all, just looking for a little advice.

I'm 26, 5'3.5, 120lb. Lost 30lb from Last May to December and maintained since then. I have my cals set to 1600 but am no longer a faithful logger so do a bit of guestimating not sweating going over/under by much, mostly log to ensure I'm hitting my protein. I'm set at 40c/30/30 - I do not often quite make my protein as per the log (at 1600 that wants 120g, I usually get 100, which is probably my LBM?) - all my protein is vegetarian (I'm a lifelong lacto-ovo). I work out 3-4 times a week, since Feb I've reduced cardio and I recently started Stronglifts 5x5 (that said, I ran a 10K week before last).

Like many others, I still retain fat around my belly that I would like to reduce but I can't decide if I would get a bit emaciated if I tried to cut (in order to bulk back up to this weight) or whether to continue as I am and see what happens as I begin to lift heavier.

Does anyone have any advice/experience to offer up? Should I cut? If so, by how much? How many cals? If I should not cut, should I continue my program as is? Or what changes would you make?

Replies

• elliej
    Options
    ... maybe I put this in the wrong forum?
  • 24Donna
    24Donna Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP's has a reaaaaally flat stomach and when asked what she does to get is so flat she replied 'drink 5 of more litres of water per day'. I think that's a bit much but you could just start increasing your daily water intake.

Personal experience: I've started drinking a LOT of green tea and water. I try to get at least 2 litres of water, the tea and other drinks are extra. This week I lost 2lbs, opposed to the 1lb I expected! I didn't change my eating/exercise pattern, only the tea and water drinking. Of course I can't be absolutely sure the tea-drinking was the reason for the fat loss, but it's generally accepted that green tea boosts the metabolism to burn fat.. So maybe you could try that?

I use at least 6 bags of green tea per day (sometimes 2 in 1 mug to avoid trips to the bathroom every 20 mins :P). I prefer it without any sugar but I love the kinds that have lemon or lime in them :)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    may be better suited for general weight loss but the forums are usually slow at this time, especially on a monday

weight is lost in the kitchen, not the gym, so your exercise routine is somewhat irrelevant in that sense, it just helps prevent muscle loss and increases your TDEE. i would just continue with what you were doing before december, clearly it worked for you so 1600 would be a good place to start for now, if you find you are still maintaining your current weight in a few weeks time, then lower your intake by another 250 cals or so
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The weights will make a real difference. I've been doing Stronglifts for a few months and my abs are now starting to show whereas no amount of dieting or just cardio have ever done that before. Your calories, macros and exercise seems great. Carry on with stronglifts and you will see the difference in under 3 months. Patience is key! Good luck!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    My stats are similar to yours.

I'm 5' and lost 30+ pounds during the course of the last year. I've been maintaining for at least 6 months, though it was more like a plateau. I was concerned at first about looking skeletal if I went lower, I'm a small 46 yr old Asian woman. However, my tummy is still soft & jiggly, and my thighs a bit are as well.

I've been weight training for 10+ years and though my ultimate goal was 120#,

I have since revised that. Even though I've been lifting for a while, it appears I'm only now getting down to the layer of fat covering my musculature in these last 10-15 pounds.

I'm glad I decided to continue as this past week, I've not lost weight, but certainly lost size :wink: My goal is to tighten up everything (happening already) continue with my compound lifts & maintain a slight deficit for a little while longer.

Keep training :drinker: at a certain point, the effects become super apparent.
  • elliej
    Options
    So that's 2 votes for just continuing... thanks guys.

I have slacked off with water as I stopped doing so much cardio - I should probably get on that too, thanks.