Strength Training? Gains???

Options
kaittea
kaittea Posts: 96 Member
Hello all! I'm new to the weightroom so I was wondering if you guys could offer a little guidance. I've googled this but I haven't really found a straight answer that's dumbed down for a rookie like myself.
I'm interested in losing fat and toning up as well as building strength. My current exercise routine consists of around 20-35min of running ( at 5-5.5 and then a 6 for the last 5 min) plus 10 minutes of rowing on arm days and then around 25-30 minutes or so of strength. I alternate between arm and leg days and I do about 6 different exercises for each at 12 reps of the highest weight I can muster and then repeat that circuit. I do this about 4-5 times a week.
I weigh 140lbs at 5'5" and I'm looking to get down to around 120lbs.

Is that routine something that will give me the results I'm looking for?
How often should I increase my weight?
Is it beneficial to have like a "build" phase and then a "cut" phase? (if so, how long do these last/how much should I be eating?)

Like I said, I'm very much a beginner so I would thoroughly appreciate any advice/guidance. Thank you!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If I'm understanding you correctly, the "build" and "cut" phase are commonly known as cutting and bulking. Bulking is consuming a surplus of calories to build muscle and cutting is a caloric deficit to lose weight.

If you want to tone up and lose fat at the same time, then I think lifting heavy whilst in a deficit will be ok. But if you want to "bulk" and have increased muscle mass, then cut.

And for changing weight, you should notice yourself getting stronger every week or so - so I guess you could always increase the weight when your form is correct.

I'm not entirely sure if I've answered your question.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on your routine specifically as there are far more knowledgeable people to do that. Toning up is just a code for losing fat. The only thing that makes anyone look more "toned" is losing body fat so the muscles underneath are visible. The only way to lose the fat is to be in caloric deficit but it is best to lift whilst in deficit so you don't lose as much muscle.
  • tonyandrade99
    Options
    I would keep your cardio routine try a minimum of 25 of steady running. 50% of your calories burned during cardio are fat calories so that will help you get toned. For strength keep doing 11-12 reps of what ever weight is challenging and alternating but try alternate like this: Day 1- Chest arms Day 2-Legs,Butt Day 3- Arms Back Day 4- Legs Butt Day 5- Arms abs. Also try whey protein right after workouts to improve muscle growth and repair. Good luck!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would do Starting Strength and 30 minutes plus cardio (whatever you like, a mix of intervals and steady state) 4x per week. But more so, I would find my TDEE and cut 10-20% of that and make sure my diet was on point. Bad nutrition can overtake any good training program.

Also, you kind of need to know what your body fat percentage is to know how low you can go. Right now I am at 168 lbs, about 27% BF and I am 5'5." I have 125ish pounds of lean mass so I couldn't get to 120 or even 140 without losing muscle. I would set a body fat loss goal and then use a calculator like this to figure out your ideal weight: https://www.myrebody.com/weightlosscalculator
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or Strong Lifts, and I'd do the lifting 3x a week if you're going heavy. I would however every couple weeks work in some endurance lifting to keep things fresh, which would move you from the 5x5 system on stronglifts to a more high rep, lower weight series.

You're building essentially quick action and long period strength like that, not sacrificing any sweet gains, because you're still in the noob phase of lifting. Gains are easy during that period.

Or you could just go straight heavy lifting, which is fine as well. You can always investigate endurance later if you choose.
  • igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    +1 for Starting Strength, or any of the good programs recommended on here. Compound lifts are your friend.

Also 'they' say that you should do lifting before doing cardio instead of the other way around. Or alternate cardio and lifting days.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Also 'they' say that you should do lifting before doing cardio instead of the other way around. Or alternate cardio and lifting days.

interesting, do you have the reason for this? because i always do cardio first as well to warm up. are you not supposed to be warmed up before doing strength training?
  • quigz90
    quigz90 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm following all pro's beginner routine (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915909-what-exactly-is-all-pro-s-routine) I'm starting week 3 today and I am really enjoying it.

I was looking into starting a 5x5 program but that did not suit me working out at home at I have no squat rack and could not lift weights heavy enough to squat on 5x5 over my head, so all pro's is perfect.

It is made up of compound lifts and barbell curls.

Either way. Any good program with constant progression would be good.

Since starting training again, I have been steadily losing weight again and hit a new low as it helps me stay motivated to hit my nutrition (no point in eating bad if I'm putting on the work to better myself)
  • igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options

interesting, do you have the reason for this? because i always do cardio first as well to warm up. are you not supposed to be warmed up before doing strength training?

I guess it all depends on your goals. If your goal is to build strength, then doing strength first makes sure your muscles aren't fatigued before you even start lifting, so that you can give it your all. Less chance of injury etc.

Warming up is essential, but it doesn't need to be a full blown cardio routine just to get warm before lifting...

But it's all a debate, see here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1173762-cardio-before-or-after-weight-lifting

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-cardio-before-or-after-weights.html

Stronglifts workout program with FAQ's: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

doing x minutes of cardio isn't going to do a whole lot to get your muscles ready for a lifting session. It'll warm up your heart and lungs, but if you're doing a full body lifting workout (like stronglifts or starting strength) it doesn't do much for you. Your warmups for lifting should be lighter weight sets of the lifts. When I did squats this morning my working set was @ 265. I did a warmup set at 115 for 5 reps, another @ 140 for 5 reps and then 175x5. At that point I was ready to go into the more taxing weights.

If your working sets are lighter still, there's less room for warmup sets. I.e. if you're going 5x5 @ 65 lbs for squats you can basically do a warmup set with the bar (45 lbs) and then you're ready to go, much more than that and you're going to take some away from your worksets.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    lmao..simple.. cardio 1st wont let you put up as much weight ...aka not the ideal results

do the cardio afterz... and up your cardio to HIIT if your trying to bulk andd increase strength.

check out a comp recomp diet as well
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, for taking the time to reply :) will look into the links provided.