My first 5k

Options
I have been traing for my first 5k for about 2 months now. I feel like I have hit a wall. My 5k is in less than 3 weeks. Not running is NOT an option. I'm not looking to set any records here. I just want to be able to finish without walking and no matter what I try, I just don't seem to be able to keep running!!!! HELP!!!!

Replies

• LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    How have you been training. Are you using a c25k app. Maybe go back a week. Make sure you are having a rest day.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Slow down. If you think you can run slower then run slower.
  • Ali_Fan_1979
    Ali_Fan_1979 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    First congratulations on choosing to do this! I recently found myself in your position, I sped through C25K- and then "hit the wall" like you, with a course a few short weeks to go.
    So, did you hit the wall physically or energy/stamina wise?
    For me it was leg pains/cramps that would force me to stop, not heavy panting or fatigue.
    Strength training (even with just two weeks to go can help tremendously) Rest days are critical, but here's the zinger, I discovered- even the best runners might walk a little bit here and there, if you need it walk, so what? You'll still finish the race with a great time, and it's your first!
    I hope that this helps, and good luck.
  • jzs20
    jzs20 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have my 1st 5K coming up in August and really don't know if i'll be ready for it either.... Just been using the treadmill here and there but basically hoping to just "wing it"
    My main problem is shin pain... f'n brutal

I'll see what happens I guess
  • janda060708
    janda060708 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Slow down! I speed walk faster than I "run" my 5K's. You'll be amazed at how far you can go if you slow your pace.
  • prawny1967
    prawny1967 Posts: 17
    Options
    I did the C25K programme but I had to repeat several of the weeks as I just wasn;t ready to move on. I then found that mentally I found it really hard to run 8 minutes, walk a few and then run again. In the end I just forced myself to increase my running time by just 30 seconds to a minute each time. This approach actually worked for me and got me past my "wall".

I did manage to run my 5K and I ran the whole way although it was quite a warm day so I ended up running slower than I had hoped but I was determined not to walk!

All the best and don't be hard on yourself, you will get there if you keep at it.
  • emkelsall
    emkelsall Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for responding :) I have been using c25k and like prawny1967, I just cant get to that 8 minute mark. I have gone back and re-done a week but I'm not getting over the hump. I think adding 30 is a fantastic idea. I will be trying that tonight:)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Let yourself walk. Giving yourself a couple of walk breaks may very well decrease your overall time because it gives you a chance to catch your breath and then you keep running faster rather than trudging along thinking you are going to die. I ran my entire first 5k at 39:42 and since then have lost weight and started letting myself have a couple of walk breaks and now my time is down to 34:29 (last Saturday with 3 short walk breaks.)
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing amazing! I have been running inconsistently since last fall and can't seem to break the 3 minute mark. I WISH I could get up to 8! I think my problem is that I might not be pushing myself hard enough. But I feel like I am so out of breath that I just couldn't go on. Maybe it needs to be more mind over matter for me. I sometimes cheat once I'm half way through and my 1 minute walks become 1 minute and 30 seconds. I'm hoping that getting into a better routine will crush that bad habit also. Keep up the great work and please know that you are achieving great things! Also note, I have done 6 5k's up to date and there are many many people who are interval runners and those who walk most of it. So don't let that worry you :)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Slow down! For reals. Find a motivational paragraph/song refrain you like, hell, even pledge of allegiance. If you cant say that out loud while you're jogging then your pace is too fast for what you are trying to accomplish. Faster pace will come with experience and distance at this point in your career. You'll never get there though if you don't give your body a fighting chance to adapt to what you are doing.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am a new runner -- I have to walk every few minutes myself. I don't care thought -- I am not in competition with anyone. I just do the best I can. I don't intend to ever break any records. When you start running at 51, that's just good enough!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    It's okay to walk a bit if you have to. Plenty of people do it, believe me. Just do your best and don't stress yourself out. The running community is very supportive and that makes it so much easier.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Slow down! I speed walk faster than I "run" my 5K's. You'll be amazed at how far you can go if you slow your pace.

This! Slowing down and getting the right shoes for my feet was the only way I was able to make it through the first 5k run. For me a long walk as a warmup helps too. Slow down and you'll have better endurance. This was the best piece of running advice I was given when I started out.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    have you been fitted for proper running shoes yet? If not...you really need to. I used to get shin pain till I got the right shoes for me....

OP...you'll do fine. Make a killer play list, and just do the best you can. I agree with those that said slow down, and just hang in there. Don't put too much pressure on yourself....finishing the first one is a big hurdle, and I'm sure you'll do great!
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Here are a few tips that might help from a long distance runner (currently training for my second marathon). A lot of people have already given you good advice, so I won't reiterate their points.
    First, know thyself. Know what your body is telling you. Are you injured, sore, pushing yourself too hard? Or are you just not mentally in the run that day? If it is the first, don't be afraid to take it easy, run slow, walk, or even call it a rest day. If it is the second, you have to learn to push through that. Honestly, when you start running, getting your mind in shape for longer and longer runs is more difficult than getting your body in shape. You have to be able to see the trail and say "this is going to be awesome!" rather than "whelp, this is how I die."
    Secondly, find your pace. Your body should move smoothly and feel relatively comfortable (relative to the fact you are running, not to sitting on a couch). Try different paces. Pick it up a bit and see how you feel. Or slow it down a bit and see how you feel. Once again, this is a mental thing, so once you take your mind off the fact you are running, your body will fall into its groove for that day.
    Thirdly, sssstttttrrrrreeeeetttttccccchhhhh. Stretching is important both before and after your run. Don't take it for granted. Seriously. This will loosen you up and make your body ready to move. Conversely, after finishing your run, stretch it out again because your muscles need it.
    Finally, let's talk the mental game. I've said it before, but you have to get your mind in shape as much as your body. Don't think of this run as a great Sisyphean task you must complete day after day, but rather your reward. I don't know your situation (office worker, stay-at-home parent, whatever) but there is a chance you have to spend a good chunk of time stuck somewhere during the day. The time you get to run is a time for you. You get to be alone with your thoughts and think about that next great novel you will write, what you would do with a million dollars, or what kind of superpower you would like. Also, I highly recommend running outdoors rather than the gym if that is possible for you. The gym, as lovely as it is, is monotonous and boring. If you run outside you can see bizarre and wonderful things (I once saw a guy riding a skateboard being pulled by two huskies and it was awesome). Also, listening to music or audiobooks can be a great thing while running. I finished the entire Harry Potter series while training for my first marathon and it was awesome.
    In conclusion, no matter how fast you go or whether you ultimately have to walk to finish your 5K, you are still doing a 5k. So look at you, being all awesome and stuff. Go you! I wish you many happy miles!
  • janellyf
    janellyf Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    no matter how fast you go or whether you ultimately have to walk to finish your 5K, you are still doing a 5k. So look at you, being all awesome and stuff. Go you!

THIS!!! You may have hit a wall, but do you realize how far you have come? So so so many people can't even come close to what you are doing now. Be proud of this and keep going.
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    try using the c25k app. It is awesome! Also don't sell yourself short. If you need to walk for 30sec or a minute, do it. My first 5k I just wanted to finish. I ran probably 95% of it but I knew it I had to walk I would! I finished in 33 minutes!! My second 5k was a bit harder because there were lots of hills. I finished that in 33 minutes as well, but I walked so much more of it. You are going to do great, don't give up!!! Also, I find that having a great playlist blarring in my ears helps a lot too!!!
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Here are a few tips that might help from a long distance runner (currently training for my second marathon). A lot of people have already given you good advice, so I won't reiterate their points.
    First, know thyself. Know what your body is telling you. Are you injured, sore, pushing yourself too hard? Or are you just not mentally in the run that day? If it is the first, don't be afraid to take it easy, run slow, walk, or even call it a rest day. If it is the second, you have to learn to push through that. Honestly, when you start running, getting your mind in shape for longer and longer runs is more difficult than getting your body in shape. You have to be able to see the trail and say "this is going to be awesome!" rather than "whelp, this is how I die."
    Secondly, find your pace. Your body should move smoothly and feel relatively comfortable (relative to the fact you are running, not to sitting on a couch). Try different paces. Pick it up a bit and see how you feel. Or slow it down a bit and see how you feel. Once again, this is a mental thing, so once you take your mind off the fact you are running, your body will fall into its groove for that day.
    Thirdly, sssstttttrrrrreeeeetttttccccchhhhh. Stretching is important both before and after your run. Don't take it for granted. Seriously. This will loosen you up and make your body ready to move. Conversely, after finishing your run, stretch it out again because your muscles need it.
    Finally, let's talk the mental game. I've said it before, but you have to get your mind in shape as much as your body. Don't think of this run as a great Sisyphean task you must complete day after day, but rather your reward. I don't know your situation (office worker, stay-at-home parent, whatever) but there is a chance you have to spend a good chunk of time stuck somewhere during the day. The time you get to run is a time for you. You get to be alone with your thoughts and think about that next great novel you will write, what you would do with a million dollars, or what kind of superpower you would like. Also, I highly recommend running outdoors rather than the gym if that is possible for you. The gym, as lovely as it is, is monotonous and boring. If you run outside you can see bizarre and wonderful things (I once saw a guy riding a skateboard being pulled by two huskies and it was awesome). Also, listening to music or audiobooks can be a great thing while running. I finished the entire Harry Potter series while training for my first marathon and it was awesome.
    In conclusion, no matter how fast you go or whether you ultimately have to walk to finish your 5K, you are still doing a 5k. So look at you, being all awesome and stuff. Go you! I wish you many happy miles!

^^^^This!

Running is about 10% physical and 90% mental. For example: I just finished my first half marathon a month ago. If I am running outside I can run for miles, you put me on a treadmill and I can barely finish a mile before I want off. It's not because I physically can't do it, its because mentally I don't want to.

Music can help- if you are using music try running without it. I know that when I run I can't listen to music because it puts me off my pace.

Just remember there is nothing *wrong* with walking if you need to (if you are sore, pull something) but if you do a body scan and realize that its nothing physical, try finding a fixed point and say, "i'll run to that light pole, or that mailbox" something that lets you go farther and lets you re-evaluate once you get to that point that you can continue on a bit more, etc.

Happy Running!
  • dontweightup
    dontweightup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the shin pain too. Hurt like hell. I got some leg compression sleeves (reluctantly) and that did wonders for my shin pain. I was not able to run a full 3.2 miles non-stop until I started wearing them. Also icing your shins after running helps until your body adjusts.
  • dontweightup
    dontweightup Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I had the shin pain too. Hurt like hell. I got some leg compression sleeves (reluctantly) and that did wonders for my shin pain. I was not able to run a full 3.2 miles non-stop until I started wearing them. Also icing your shins after running helps until your body adjusts.