Advice needed on protein vs fat vs carbs

Options
Looking for a little advice on my eating and workout goals. I have been on this journey for about 2 years and have managed to lose about 100 pounds. I workout about 4/5 times per week for about 45 minutes focusing primarily on cardio, strength training, and HIIT workouts. I would ultimately like to lose an additional 23-35 pounds and would like to meet that goal in 4/5 months. I think I am eating way too many carbs and not enough protein. Does that look right to you all? If so, how can I revamp my eating to match my goals? Also is my net set way too high? I've been losing maybe 2-3 pounds per month but have bulked up muscle wise in all my muscle groups. Thoughts?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    add me. I will help
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump!!! Anyone?
  • slatrenta
    slatrenta Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i can help you, Just would need a bit more info. Message me if you like
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what are your macros set at? 40/30/30 is a good start, but as long as you're getting 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight, that is 'enough' protein, generally speaking.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I do think you are eating too many carbs and not enough protein. Also, you eat very few vegetables and no fruit, at least on the days I looked at. I recommend setting your macros so that your protein goal is 1 gram per pound of body weight, and adjust fat and carbs however you want, but you should get around 70 grams of fat each day. Then try to meet those goals, and make sure at least some of your carbs come from fresh veggies and fruits.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You should be aiming for 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. 1g per pound of your total weight would be too much.

I recently lowered my carbs by 10% and upped my protein and fat by 5% each. I haven't seen results on the scale yet, but I did notice that after a 20-mile bike ride I did at the gym on Friday night that I wasn't nearly as sore this weekend as I expected to be.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and your protien is a bit low most days...

The one day it was good was because of one entry...homemade beef stew with 80grams of protien...I don't think so you need to check that entry.

Protien should be 1gram per lb of lean mass or 0.8grams per pound.

Ways to get it in based on your current diary

cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, egg whites, more lean meats and seafood, greek yogurt etc.

In order for me to get in my 100-120grams a day I have to have protien with every meal and at least one snack has protien in it.

I see one day you have chicken pasta...you could have added more chicken to that and not had the bread...that's what I do.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Looking for a little advice on my eating and workout goals. I have been on this journey for about 2 years and have managed to lose about 100 pounds. I workout about 4/5 times per week for about 45 minutes focusing primarily on cardio, strength training, and HIIT workouts. I would ultimately like to lose an additional 23-35 pounds and would like to meet that goal in 4/5 months. I think I am eating way too many carbs and not enough protein. Does that look right to you all? If so, how can I revamp my eating to match my goals? Also is my net set way too high? I've been losing maybe 2-3 pounds per month but have bulked up muscle wise in all my muscle groups. Thoughts?

By bulked up, do you mean gain strength?

Also, as many other said, your carbs are high. Most sources would suggest about .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass (not weight). In terms of weight loss, below is a good guideline to follow. So 23 lbs in 4 months might be a bit aggressive.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

In terms of a net goal, i would question how you are measuring calories burned. IMO, using a TDEE - 20% is a better approach then net. This way you can be a bit more accurate. Also, I would refocus exercise to concentrate on resistance training a bit more over cardio.
  • jorasims
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I didn't realize until recently that I was eating so many carbs. I definitely picked up on not eating enough protein and will figure out how to address that. I can not eat eggs due to a severe sensitivity and what they cause! (You don't want to know!). My macros are set to 40/30/30 although I am still trying to navigate how to hit those targets each day. More fruit and veggies I can do. Thanks all!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I didn't realize until recently that I was eating so many carbs. I definitely picked up on not eating enough protein and will figure out how to address that. I can not eat eggs due to a severe sensitivity and what they cause! (You don't want to know!). My macros are set to 40/30/30 although I am still trying to navigate how to hit those targets each day. More fruit and veggies I can do. Thanks all!

Simple solution.. more bacon!!! Or meats. :flowerforyou:
  • jorasims
    Options

Also, as many other said, your carbs are high. Most sources would suggest about .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass (not weight). In terms of weight loss, below is a good guideline to follow. So 23 lbs in 4 months might be a bit aggressive.

In terms of a net goal, i would question how you are measuring calories burned. IMO, using a TDEE - 20% is a better approach then net. This way you can be a bit more accurate. Also, I would refocus exercise to concentrate on resistance training a bit more over cardio.

Yes bilked up meaning more strength and getting leaner...for example I had wicked love handles...actually a spare tire....spending some time on ab has leaned that up and my core is stronger so I can hold a plank for significantly longer...I did the whole TDEE thing awhile back and it set me at 1733 I believe to. I use an HRM to count calories burned. I alternate cardio and strength training throughout the week. There's definitively no rush to lose the weight....I am not so much focused in pounds lost as compared to inches lost and strength built. If it takes 6 months or more to lose it then I am ok with that.
  • Ringer1022
    Ringer1022 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I believe the Scooby calculator gives a sample meal... Might be worth checking out.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You could try adding a protein shake... Make it wilth skim/1% milk... I toss some raspberries into mine and they're pretty delicious; all for only a couple hundred calories.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yes bilked up meaning more strength and getting leaner...for example I had wicked love handles...actually a spare tire....spending some time on ab has leaned that up and my core is stronger so I can hold a plank for significantly longer...I did the whole TDEE thing awhile back and it set me at 1733 I believe to. I use an HRM to count calories burned. I alternate cardio and strength training throughout the week. There's definitively no rush to lose the weight....I am not so much focused in pounds lost as compared to inches lost and strength built. If it takes 6 months or more to lose it then I am ok with that.

Just some technical corrections - bulking up truly means adding mass, which is almost impossible to do in a deficit, especially as a women. You got stronger because your muscles became more efficient. Also, doing ab work didn't help you lose fat around your mid section. Genetics will determine where you lose body fat and losing weight overall will provide you those results.

With that said, I would recommend the TDEE method because HRM are really only good for steady state cardio. If you use a HRM for strength training, you will severely over estimate your calories burned.
  • jorasims
    Options
    Interesting information on strength building and using HRM. Thanks for that advice!