im stuck!!

Options
hello there my name is edgar

for the last 3-4 months ive been attempting to loose weight and it was going good up to 3 weeks ago when my weight loss started to decrease a bit, i was 296 now i am 242 and im stuck there and been only loosing 1 to 2 pounds a week and its frustrating cause either i gain back weight or loose back one , ive been doing the jillian michaels 30 day shred since i started and i also run about 2 miles daily been eating the same way since i started and its just not doing it im not sure if i should switch to a more active work out like insanity or something im kinda lost and annoyed if anyone would help me that would be awesome also recommend other in home work out routines that i could do

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If you're still losing you're still on track! You really should only be losing 1 - 2 lbs per week and for the first little while it'll look like smooth sailing but after a while (it's different for everyone) things start to slow down. It's frustrating but as long as it's still decreasing you're still doing well!

However, if you've been gaining and losing and you haven't switching up your workouts or decreased your calories a bit in conjunction with your weight loss it sounds like now is the time to do so. You don't have to go extreme and do Insanity (unless you feel you're ready). If you've been doing 30DS, why not try Ripped In 30? Or T25?

I know for me when I'm stuck like that, dropping maybe about 100 calories from my daily intake and doing something new tends to kickstart things again!

Feel free to friend me, I never seem to get email notifications if people reply to my responses! :)
  • ADMcNaul
    ADMcNaul Posts: 55
    Options

for the last 3-4 months ive been attempting to loose weight and it was going good up to 3 weeks ago when my weight loss started to decrease a bit, i was 296 now i am 242 and im stuck there and been only loosing 1 to 2 pounds a week and its frustrating cause either i gain back weight or loose back one , ive been doing the jillian michaels 30 day shred since i started and i also run about 2 miles daily been eating the same way since i started and its just not doing it im not sure if i should switch to a more active work out like insanity or something im kinda lost and annoyed if anyone would help me that would be awesome also recommend other in home work out routines that i could do

If your results are starting to slow down, then definitely change up the exercises you're doing. It could just be that your body is getting used to the current workout and as a result it's not translating in to results that you've previously had.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? And can you open your diary? The common failures tend to be people don't use food scales and don't log daily or accurately.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    1) You will lose a ton of weight in the first few weeks of exercise, a lot of it is retained water, and possibly the result of unstable metabolism, which normalizes as you start to eat and exercise more regularly.

2) The number you see on the scale is deceiving. Use an app like weight trend, or make up a spreadsheet and calculate your 7 day rolling average. Weigh daily and log. The number might jump up or down, but the rolling average will show you a trend (hopefully of loss).

3) Mix up your workouts a little. Your body will adapt to a workout and it will become less effective over time. I'm not sure what all is involved with 30 Day Shred, but I generally recommend Men's Health Spartacus 1.0 or 2.0 (both available online for free in PDF format, just Google it).

4) MFP is designed to help you lose 1 to 2 lbs per week, and not any more. Fast loss is usually the result of unsustainable diet and/or exercise. Slow and steady wins the race. Don't be fooled by the myth of The Biggest Loser. That kind of loss is unhealthy, unsustainable, and dangerous.
  • chaemd
    chaemd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Edgar,
    The initial weight loss is always greater because you are shocking your body into a new state. After 3-4 months, which is quite a while, your body becomes efficient at managing your energy to accomplish the same goal which is getting you through the day. Hitting a plateau is indication that you have to start changing things. Changing things comes in the form of lowering calories, increasing intensity or turning things around altogether. Whatever you do, find something that you like and can achieve. If lowering calories makes you hungry, then that's not going to work. Sometimes it means changing a meal from one snack to another lower calorie snack. Maybe you can increase the run from two miles to three miles or run it faster. You will be the best person to gauge what is do-able. Also, changing your workout video is a good idea. Insanity is great, but only if you're ready. It is SUPER intense. Good luck!
  • Ringer1022
    Ringer1022 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? And can you open your diary? The common failures tend to be people don't use food scales and don't log daily or accurately.

^^THIS^^
    Measuring your food is completely and utterly useless and inaccurate. My best example for this is that if you measure 1 cup of strawberries; one cup whole vs halved vs quarterd vs smashed. By weight, you'll be consuming significantly of the mashed strawberries than the whole, but the measurement is the same one cup.

Food scales have become way more reasonable; I'm actually researching digital scales for a whopping $20-25 on Amazon. A basic one is liek $5 from your grocery store.

Try using one of the two main calculators to determine what your macros should for the composition of your calories.
    IIFYM: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    Scooby: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You can also try changing your program... I don't know if you've research the Stronglifts 5x5 program... But LOTS enjoy it. It's on my list for after The New Rules for Women. Also, take progress pics and if you haven't dones measurements, do that too...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

If you're losing 1-2 pounds per week then you're losing at a good pace. You may not need to do anything different.

Have you recalculated your goals since losing weight?