question about logging food

Options
I usually go ahead and log my meals before I eat them if anyone else does this what do u do if u dnt eat all that u logged? I usually just leave mine like it is.

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I want my diary to reflect what I have honestly eaten for the day. So If I have logged something that I haven gotten around to eating, I just delete it at the end of the day. I have to be honest with myself both ways, when I go over my calories and when I am under.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I log mine before I eat as well, that way I know how much I'm eating or supposed to eat. If I don't eat all of it, I do change it and subtract what I didn't eat from it. No sense in wasting calories on a sandwich I didn't eat if I can have some frozen mango chunks or a smoothie later :)
  • jamesryanfletcher
    jamesryanfletcher Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I go back into my diary and adjust the quantity logged to make my diary as accurate as I can so that in future when I am analysing the data I can get the best answers possible.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead for the week in order to meet my macros. If things change, I make the adjustments. Your data really should be as accurate as possible in order to pinpoint any problems that may come up in the future.
  • jessinicole1808
    Options
    How do u kno what to subtract from ur calories if u only ate half of a meal?
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I log as I'm preparing whatever I'm about to eat, It helps to log what you ate exactly so you don't forget and than you aren't very accurate.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    How do u kno what to subtract from ur calories if u only ate half of a meal?

If you only ate half then record half in the serving size section of the food item.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead for the week in order to meet my macros. If things change, I make the adjustments. Your data really should be as accurate as possible in order to pinpoint any problems that may come up in the future.

This...

If it's "half" the meal I weigh what is left...deduct it from what was logged...
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I log in advance during the week, usually by a few days, helps to ensure I use the fresh food in the fridge and including planning treats in to! I do make adjustments if things change and am honest both ways, over and under, its worth it to be honest with yourself :) Also helps to see what causes gains and losses etc. Well worth doing it right, including logging all liquids and weighing foods, I made the crucial mistake of not doing so for years! Best of luck :)
  • KateDegnan
    KateDegnan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I log my whole day in the morning and if I don't eat as much, or I eat more, I adjust it accordingly. I want my food diary to be as acurate as possible.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I go back into my diary and adjust the quantity logged to make my diary as accurate as I can so that in future when I am analysing the data I can get the best answers possible.

this
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I edit as the day goes on. I pre-log to have an idea of what I need in terms of calories & macros. Then adjust as life requires.
  • Rhaynestorm
    Rhaynestorm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've been planning and logging my dinner's ahead of time then backtrack and plan my lunch and breakfast based on how many calories I have left after dinner. If I have any leftover I usually add in some snacks during the day or maybe have some frozen yogurt after dinner.

If I end up not eating something or one of my meals changes then I made adjustments when it happens. I log absolutely everything and I try not to eat anything without logging it first.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What is the point of logging if you're going to include a bunch of food you didn't eat? To make MFP a useful tool your diary should be what you actually ate, not what you thought about eating, would like to eat, etc.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat what I pre-logged, I correct it at the end of the day when I close out the day.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    So, if on Monday I write down in my checkbook that I will get paid $500 at the end of the week, but then on Friday I only get paid $300, because I didn't make it to work for 2 days....do you think I should leave my checkbook saying I got paid $500?

Data is only useful if it is accurate.
  • ExpectantHope
    ExpectantHope Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I log my meals as I go throughout the day because I like to weigh/measure all my food specifically. Sometimes I'll log after preparing but before eating, sometimes I'll log after eating. If I don't eat the whole meal then I go back and edit the entries, no point in logging if you're not being specific really.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If I don't finish, I go back and adjust the amount. But I usually log while or right after I eat.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What is the point of logging if you're going to include a bunch of food you didn't eat? To make MFP a useful tool your diary should be what you actually ate, not what you thought about eating, would like to eat, etc.

^ THIS. The point of MFP is to track what you actually eat, so you can see the relationship between calories consumed, calories expended in exercise and daily activity, and your weight. If you eat three quarters of your meal, multiply everything in it by 0.75 to get the proper servings.