Busy Schedule = quick foods

Options
So I have a very long commute in the morning which unfortunately means my breakfast and my afternoon snack (knowing that dinner is an hour and a half away) take place in the car! I need ideas of quick and mess free things I can eat in the car! Thanks!

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Jam - do a search on the word "snacks".... portable snacks, snacks for travelling, snacks at your desk... there are loads of ideas on some of the threads (depending on any dietary restrictions you might have).. I commute a lot too and keep my "Jethro bodine" size lunch bag/cooler packed with stuff I can eat one handed or in public like nuts lol here's one of the links:bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1056124-easy-snacks-for-travel?hl=snacks+for+travelling#posts-16222087
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Fruit, pb sandwiches, string cheese, precut veggies, trail mix, egg and cheese on English muffin for breakfast, yogurt, jerky
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I usually have a strawberry smoothy for breakfast in the car:
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 c frozen strawberries and 1 pkg of Equal and some water to fill it up to the top. Blend it up in my magic bullet and it is good to go :)
  • brimichaud
    brimichaud Posts: 22
    Options
    I have the same dilemma! For me, I usually make toast or a shake on my way out and eat it in the car for breakfast. But I would recommend healthy granola bars and cheerios! I don't mind dry cereal, so cheerios is always a great snack that fills me up. (1 cup is only 100 cals). Anything that is easy to eat and not messy is always what I go with. Good luck!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs
    Cheese and crackers
    Jerky
    Fruit slices and peanut butter
    Veggies and a greek yogurt dip
    Turkey sandwich
    Lettuce, turkey, cheese rollups
    Quest bars
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hardboiled eggs
    Pre sliced and bagged veggies
    Pre bagged fruits
    P3 snack from Oscar myers
    Dry cereal
    Nuts
    Bagel with cream cheese ( all made and bagged at the beginning of the week)
    Deli meat and cheese

Because I drive to school everyday and I am always on the go I make a nutribullet smoothie in about 3 minutes in the morning. Yogurt, Ice, splash of juice or seltzer water, and whatever fruit I have on hand. Just put it in the cup, blend, put the ring on, and rinse the blade. Ready to go!!! Awesome breakfast and really easy to customize. For snacks I like to focus on protein because, for me, its more satisfying so I'll roll some deli meat and cheese in a low cal tortilla and put it in a baggie. The p3 chicken one is awesome too. I like raw carrots, celery, and peppers, super easy in the car.
  • rebabecca32
    rebabecca32 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to do a Boost High Protein Chocolate shake in the blender with a banana and 4-5 ice cubes. Tastes almost like a Frosty and has tons of nutrients and only a few hundred calories. :)
  • marypatf
    marypatf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i make my own breakfast sandwich so fast and easy and portable. Sandwich thins for the bread. I have one of those little egg microwave poachers.....I stick 1/4 cup egg beaters on top of 1 slice of canadian bacon and nuke for 1:45 min then pop a slice of velveeta cheddar on top to melt....slip on the sandwich thin and bang......you have a low cal really filling breakfast sandwich that is not messy.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I commute 1.5hrs in the morning 2+ hrs in the evening so I know a lot about car food. In the morning breakfast burritos work really well for me. Keep them small and compact and whatever you do don't put in anything wet enough to leak out. I put them in a tall paper cup and set them in cup holder. Eggs, meat, vegetables, and a little bit of cheese to hold the whole thing together - pretty much anything that won't tumble out can go in. I make a bunch on the weekend and freeze them.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    During the school year mornings are pretty busy for me...I usually did a protein shake and a piece of fruit or sometimes I would do baked oatmeal and eat it like a bar.