Being made fun of at the gym?

Options
Today was my first day at the gym. Ever. I'm recovering from broken kneecaps and just got the go-ahead from a doctor to start doing some real exercise. I'm still a bit dubious and thought I'd try out slow, to build up my confidence.

Now I'm the first to admit that I'm overweight, however I wouldn't say I'm huge. My before and after pictures are not going to be like those 'miracle product' adverts. I'm definitely the biggest person in my gym that I've seen though - everyone seems to be muscular, toned, and out of some Hollister advert. Good for them etc.

(This is all besides the point, sorry. I'm just trying to paint the scene.)

I was listening to music whilst doing an exercise, when it stopped, I heard laughing from behind me and a few men commenting on me and how 'pathetic it was that the fatties still try' etc etc etc. I ignored them, which was hard, because they kept going at it for a fair few minutes. In retrospect, maybe I should have turned around and defended myself.

Luckily I have pretty thick skin, and I don't really give a s**t what others think, but I can imagine that some people might never go back to the gym after something like that. It's a bit sad really.

I basically, in a very long-winded way, wanted to say to people who have been made fun of at the gym or those who will be, just ignore the idiots and don't let them get to you. Cliché advice but :flowerforyou:

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    some people never make it out of highschool. pretty pathetic
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If I had your mentality, I'd keep going back just to throw it back in their face.

But me, I'm an introvert so I exercise at home. My social anxiety would never let me go in a gym. Like ever.

So I say more power to you. Go back, work your *kitten* off, and laugh at them when you're where you want to be.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Good for you for having tough skin and ignoring foolish people like that! They are ignorant obviously as to what a gym is for and why overweight people, thin people, body builders and the rest of our population use the gym. I guess they think only people like them can use it. How immature is that. You are better than me though. I personally could care less of what someone thinks of me, but I would have verbally ripped them a new one, so it doesn't happen to the more sensitive people at the gym.

JERKS!!
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would go up to those men and say if you had any intelligence this is the best place for my fat *kitten* to be and walk away 
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day at the gym. Ever. I'm recovering from broken kneecaps and just got the go-ahead from a doctor to start doing some real exercise. I'm still a bit dubious and thought I'd try out slow, to build up my confidence.

Now I'm the first to admit that I'm overweight, however I wouldn't say I'm huge. My before and after pictures are not going to be like those 'miracle product' adverts. I'm definitely the biggest person in my gym that I've seen though - everyone seems to be muscular, toned, and out of some Hollister advert. Good for them etc.

(This is all besides the point, sorry. I'm just trying to paint the scene.)

I was listening to music whilst doing an exercise, when it stopped, I heard laughing from behind me and a few men commenting on me and how 'pathetic it was that the fatties still try' etc etc etc. I ignored them, which was hard, because they kept going at it for a fair few minutes. In retrospect, maybe I should have turned around and defended myself.

Luckily I have pretty thick skin, and I don't really give a s**t what others think, but I can imagine that some people might never go back to the gym after something like that. It's a bit sad really.

I basically, in a very long-winded way, wanted to say to people who have been made fun of at the gym or those who will be, just ignore the idiots and don't let them get to you. Cliché advice but :flowerforyou:
    I've never heard anything like that at the gym, but if I had, I would definitely say something to them. Nobody should have to deal with that when trying to improve their health, and I'm sorry you had to hear that. Next time, stand up for yourself though, and say something back. I can almost guarantee that there are others working out near where you were who heard what they were saying and were disgusted by it. You most certainly wouldn't have been alone if you had confronted them.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a time when it would have been perfectly acceptable to smack them around the head with a dumbbell. :devil:

YOU can lose the weight. THEY will always be jerks. Keep going! :flowerforyou:
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Douchelords!! That's all I have to say! People are ignorant and I commend you for working hard to acheive your goals!!!
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I probably would have reported them and gotten them kicked out.
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    A year ago, I was one of the "fatties" at the gym. A year later, I've lost almost 90 pounds and look more average. When I see larger people working out I think good for them that they are taking steps to improve their health. Just keep with it and in no time you be able to show the people who talked about you how wrong they were.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I can be kind of a **** when stuff like that happens. I would immediately start laughing my *kitten* off, and when they asked what was funny, I would say "The blatantly obvious overcompensation. I mean, is it a micropeen or premature ejaculation that you're covering up with that inflated ego?"
  • daychasingnight
    daychasingnight Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If I had your mentality, I'd keep going back just to throw it back in their face.

But me, I'm an introvert so I exercise at home. My social anxiety would never let me go in a gym. Like ever.

So I say more power to you. Go back, work your *kitten* off, and laugh at them when you're where you want to be.

I live in the world's smallest place at the moment and don’t have the room to exercise at home, or else I definitely would. What exercises do you do at home/do you have any special equipment/etc?

I also have a form of social anxiety and that mixed with the fact that I dislike people, the gym isn't exactly ideal for me, but it'll do for now. :smile:
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    ....I'm recovering from broken kneecaps....

All I want to know is when you first got involved with the mob.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would def report them so it doesnt happen to anyone else.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    grrrrrrrr......this just p*sses me off.......I would have said something along the lines of.....

"at least I'm not a complete douche bag......better get back to building up those biceps so your two brain cells will have somewhere to live"
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    at least you're trying, if they were trying they wouldn't have time to talk **** and be respectful
  • vab_spencer
    vab_spencer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little like Bevis and Butthead. Maybe challenge them to a spelling bee.
  • ashgirl95
    ashgirl95 Posts: 48
    Options
    Gyms, no matter what gym you go to, are supposed to be a judgement-free place. People go there to get healthy, not to compare muscle size. I'm sorry you had to hear that, that is completely unacceptable. Unfortunately, I probably wouldn't have said anything either as I'm not exactly the most outspoken person.

Like someone said earlier, some people never leave high school.
  • Clandahlina
    Options
    First of all, good for you for going to the gym. If they had talked about me like that, I would have cried, then cursed them out. You showed a lot more restraint than I would have. I would, however, recommend reporting them to the gym staff if they ever do that again. Aside from being just horrible, it also drives away gym business so it is in the staff's best interest to intervene.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I can be kind of a **** when stuff like that happens. I would immediately start laughing my *kitten* off, and when they asked what was funny, I would say "The blatantly obvious overcompensation. I mean, is it a micropeen or premature ejaculation that you're covering up with that inflated ego?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's right girl! Tell em.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Wow! If I had seen that, I would have gone the eff off on them for you. Ignore them and keep doing what you are doing. Also, you poor thing! Broken kneecaps sound more painful than I can imagine.