Being made fun of at the gym?

Options

Replies

• EscamillaMom
    EscamillaMom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Let their hideous comments be your fuel! In a few months your going to look and be so much healthier and they will still be the rude conceded brainless a-holes they always have been! Don't let a few idiots get you down!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The fact that we are there trying speaks volumes...the fact that they're making comments about people also speaks volumes...karma does return with the upper hand and they in the end get their own...no worries to anyone who experiences this ridiculous banter, they're no better than you are because they have "muscle" you have character unlike those who don't.... have a splendid day at the gym everyone!! And if it's that horrible at your gym, there are hundreds who would LOVE to have you at their gym!!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    You keep doing what you were doing. You've got nothing to prove to anyone but yourself.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    bless your heart. i have social anxiety and i avoid anywhere let alone the gym. i feared the situation you just experienced. i have recently been referred to the gym by my doctor i go in the middle of the day (im guessing all the young people are at work lol) its just full of older people. who are very kind and just seem to smile alot. i dont think you should exercise at home, dont feel driven out by them. keep going and getting stronger.

whenever i feel like people are looking at me or whispering (no doubt its just the anxiety talking) i always remember this i read online once...

To the fatty running on the Westview track this afternoon:

You, whose feet barely lift off the ground as you trudge around the track. You, who keeps the outside lane, footslogging in the wrong direction. You, who stops for water breaks every lap, and who would probably stop twice a lap if there were bleachers on both sides. You whose gaze drops to your feet everytime we pass. You, whose sweat drenches your body after you leave, completing only a single, 20-minute mile...Every shallow step you take, you carry the weight of more than two of me, clinging to your bones, begging to be shaken off. Each lap you run, you’re paying off the debt of another midnight snack, another dessert, another beer. It’s 20 degrees outside, but you haven’t let that stop your regimen. This isn’t your first day out here, and it certainly won’t be your last. You’ve started a journey that lasts a lifetime, and you’ve started it at least 12 days before your New Year’s resolution kicks in. You run without music, and I can only imagine the mantras running through your mind as you heave your ever-shrinking mass around the next lap. Let’s go, feet. Shut up, legs. F**k off, fat. If you’d only look up from your feet the next time we pass, you’d see my gaze has no condescension in it. I have nothing but respect for you.

You’ve got this.'

it just makes me smile.
  • daychasingnight
    daychasingnight Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would def report them so it doesnt happen to anyone else.

I didn't realise this was something I could of done, or else I would have done it so they can't pick on anyone else.

Although I mentioned it to another girl in the changing room who said that the gym had a lot of bodybuilders as they have a big weights section or something like that, and there's another gym close by which I might feel more comfortable at, as older people go there (probably to avoid this one). I shouldn't have to change my gym to accommodate for other people! :frown:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I would have reported them immediately...even if it wasn't me who they were making fun of. The whole point of a gym is to better yourself, and everyone has to start somewhere. I personally have thick skin, but I know others aren't like that and sometimes need people to stick up for them. Personally, I don't want to workout around people who are that retarded.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Wow I really respect your attitude because damn I would probably have cried... thankfully nobody at my gym is ever like that! We have a wide range of extremely buff/fit people to very overweight people, both young and old, and I never see or hear any kind of negativity whatsoever :( You don't deserve that, that's so horrible. Some people are so petty... and boring, really.

I bet it will subside after a while :) and there will be even more people thinking positive things about you!! Every time I go to the gym I am so impressed and inspired by everyone around me. You're awesome!! :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I think I might have throat punched them and then asked who was pathetic now...

High five to you OP for not letting them get to you.
  • jams61
    jams61 Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh, My, it always amazes me the heartless folks out there, I feel sad for them, for they will never know true Love or friendship, because they do not have room in their hearts for real love or friendship to start with, I hope they grow up.

You should give yourself a hug for being so understanding and forgiving of stupid.

I have started a yoga class & I am the biggest person in the class & everyone is supportive, if they weren't it would be hard for me to come back to class
  • Two things. One I would have turned around and ask them why they feel the need to put other people down? Are you insecure? Do you feel the need to put others down to make yourself feel better? Or did your parents forget to teach you manners. Then I would walk away and go report them to management to get them kicked out.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just hope they're there on the day you first deadlift your own bodyweight - whatever that bodyweight is - because there is no greater feeling and, frankly, f*** them!

It's fabulous that you got into the gym as soon as your doctor told you that you could - that's serious determination, so I've no doubt they won't put you off. Just keep playing your music and strutting your stuff and they'll soon shut up.

Thumbs up!
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ....I'm recovering from broken kneecaps....

All I want to know is when you first got involved with the mob.

More importantly, could she use her connections to deal with the jerks in the gym?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Oh...and I'd still report them!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Good for you for going to the gym. Shame on them for making fun of anyone. I can honestly say that if I had witnessed this, I'd have said something.

I don't think there is ever a reason that a grown adult should make fun of anyone... I mean don't we teach our children not to make fun of people, why in the he!! would adults think it was acceptable.

On a side note, when you get more awesome than you already are, you will be the one laughing...
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ....I'm recovering from broken kneecaps....

All I want to know is when you first got involved with the mob.

Oh my god, what an amazing comment.

That being said, I never understand those people. The gym is exactly where you should be since it's important to get healthy so what's to be made fun of...??

Literally all of my arguments and confusion when it comes to how other people act/think boils down to the fact that they must be stupid. There is no other explanation.

They are so very, very stupid.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Unacceptable. I'd legit report them to management, not only is it blatant harassment but it's blatant Jackassssery. Good job getting in there and getting after it. No matter what anybody says, keep on keepin' on.........it's always worth it.
  • alanaealeman
    alanaealeman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for using their pathetic bull**** as fuel!

I don't understand people like that. Whenever I see anyone who is out of shape/overweight/whatever at the gym, I applaud them for taking a step in the right direction.

Keep up your hard work. You're already beautiful!
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Report them, your money is just as good as theirs.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options

I shouldn't have to change my gym to accommodate for other people! :frown:

Don't do that or the muscleheads win!
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    why-would-you-make-fun-of-a-fat-person-at-the-gym.jpg