Gaining weight with a sensitive/picky stomach?

Options
Hi everyone,

After a recent physical I found out that since last year I've lost about 6 lbs, which isn't horrible but for someone my size, weighing 90 lbs isn't ideal (really, I should be around 100). Typically I have a pretty good appetite, but recently the nausea frequently caused by my anxiety has made it hard to eat the meals I should be. It varies from day to day--on a good day, I'll eat everything I should and even surpass my calorie goal. On a bad day, I'll only want to eat snacks and have very light fare like fruit, canceling out the hard work I did before. On top of that, I'm not a huge fan of meat or fish, which would normally be a great go-to for protein and calories. I really want to gain this weight and feel healthy and less insecure, but this makes it difficult. :( Help!!

Replies

• forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Can you stomach avocados? Peanut butter, or just peanuts? Butter and cheese?

Also, if your anxiety is bad enough that it is literally causing you to not eat enough food, then you seriously need to see a professional to help you work through these issues.
  • mszsun
    mszsun Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you're going through. I've had anxiety problems for a few years now and a lot of the time I don't want to eat too much because of my lack of appetite and nausea. Eating foods you're comfortable with in larger portions could help. Things like avocado's and macadamia nuts are high in calories and also easy to eat. I typically have smaller meals and just try to snack more on calorie dense foods throughout the day, that way I can reach my calorie goals. Also, drinking herbal teas often helps my stomach. Mint tea is a favourite of mine, it calms down that acidic feeling in my gut and also makes me ravenous, so I end up eating more food.
  • candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything the above posters suggested.
    pasta?
    rice pudding? (sometimes i make a "light" version of this with warm rice mixed with cinnamon and a bit of soy milk and honey)
    oatmeal?
    toast with something (nut butter, nutella, jam, honey...)?
    yogurt?
    peanut butter and crackers? (I have a soft spot for peanut butter on graham crackers).
    nut butter on an apple? honey on an apple?
    nuts seem like they could be great for you. i like raw walnuts.
    perhaps you can supplement the fruit you like with some nuts or honey.
    Smoothies can be really good too. I do 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup yogurt, and they 1-2 cups of fruit, whatever i have lying around. (if my stomach is bothering me, i may do only a banana).
    I survived years as a teenage vegetarian with mostly bowls of pasta and pepper (kinda weird, but i liked it) and peanut butter on toast. maybe some kind of protein powder you can mix into milk or soy milk or almond milk? I used to drink carnation instant breakfast in warm milk...it by no means fills you up, but it does get you some glucose and calories.
    what do you like to eat besides fruit? what kind of snacks do you like?

you may want to pursue some counseling to get at the root of the anxiety. it sounds like that may be the bigger problem here, and if you can address the anxiety causing the nausea, the food issue might get better too.
    There are some medications that are appetite stimulants that could help too. Your doctor might be willing to prescribe one.
  • maddygo2
    maddygo2 Posts: 3
    Options
    I do like a lot of those things, especially the nuts and smoothies. Are there any other easy prep things like the Carnation Instant Breakfast? I've never tried the tea idea but I will give it a shot! As for the anxiety, I have been going to therapy for a couple months now, it's just that it's still a struggle no matter what. That, and I have always had a sensitive stomach.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i've had issues in the past with anxiety and nausea, and ongoing issues with eating enough calories. my tum has always been on the sensitive side.

i've found ginger to be MAGICALLY helpful with nausea.

these days i eat a quinoa religiously for the protein.
  • candyinmyheels
    Options
    I am glad to hear you are talking to someone about the anxiety. it may be a struggle for a long time, it may always be a struggle. in my experience it helps to take things one decision at a time.
    do you like to journal? sometimes that helps me clarify my thoughts. even just writing something down and getting it outside of yourself can be helpful. then you can burn it or tie it to a rock and throw it in a lake or tear it up or anything that feels freeing to you.
    There are so many protein powders out there now. There's expensive stuff they market to body builders, there is simpler things like weigh protein powder, there are non-dairy options...I used to use Nature's Plus Spiru-Tein High Protein Energy Meal, I found that if i put it in a smoothie with fruit and juice or milk i did not notice the taste much (I found it mixed better in a blender than with a spoon).
  • candyinmyheels
    Options
    awesome tip if you have leftover smoothie (or drink less than you anticipated)-- get some of those freezer popsicle molds and put your leftover smoothie in it...then you have homemade yogurt pops! they make some really small molds for children too, that can be perfectly sized for leftovers.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Have you considered trying a diet with a stated goal of healing the gut and identifying and addressing food sensitivities? It sounds like it might be worth trying for you. Here are a few to check out and maybe discuss with your doctor and/or therapist:

http://aiplifestyle.com/what-is-autoimmune-protocol-diet/ (Autoimmune Protocol)
    http://nourishedkitchen.com/what-is-the-gaps-diet/ (GAPS -- Gut and Psychology Syndrome -- diet)
    http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/ (SCD -- Specific Carbohydrate Diet)

They each have different approaches (and different foci), but the underlying ideas are the same -- a lot of our issues are caused or exacerbated by the foods we eat. In order to find the causes, we need to do a "reset," with foods that are known to be well-tolerated, and then re-introduce foods to find triggers.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I had constant nausea during a pregnancy and the obvious need to be nourished.

What I did was focus on what I did like to eat and have it readily available lot's of it.

The minute I wasn't nauseous I ate as much as I could, I did not wait to actually feel "hungry" b/c I knew that might be nausea instead.

More tips I've found more recently is having protein bars handy in cars, bags, purses, everywhere.

Hope these tips help.:flowerforyou:
  • m0gul
    m0gul Posts: 1
    Options
    The BEST cure for anxiety: working out. As in: serious physical exertion (this could be a number of things from running to weight lifting). Anxiety often comes from pent-up (unspent) energy that is trying to find it's way out. I'm guessing once the anxiety settles a bit, it will be easier to eat and your stomach will become less picky.

For myself (a fairly anxious person), working out has been incredibly helpful.

Also, yogurt/cottage cheese and/or serious probiotics really help with nausea.
  • maddygo2
    maddygo2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Adding ginger, protein bars, and protein shake ingredients to my shopping list! In terms of exercise, what's a good regimen to have? I've never really worked out before so what would be good to start off with?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Adding ginger, protein bars, and protein shake ingredients to my shopping list! In terms of exercise, what's a good regimen to have? I've never really worked out before so what would be good to start off with?

That depends entirely on what you want to do and what you have access to.

If you don't know what you might like and have access to a gym, even for a short time, sign up and check it out. Try some of the different classes, grab a lifting program and try it for a week, etc. Or, go check out other specialty places/things, like Yoga classes, running groups, boxing/MMA/martial arts gyms/schools, CrossFit boxes, or whatever. Check them out, see if anything looks interesting and useful. Most places will let you try a class for free, so make use of that and see how you feel afterward.

Once you find something that you like and that helps with the anxiety, stick with it and make sure to go regularly.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Ginger is great because you can buy the root and cook with it (medicine in your food) or make an infusion (tea)--or you can just get it already prepared for you as a tea off the shelf. I have not tried dried ginger chews or candies. Traditional Medicinals, Alvita, and Yogi Tea are my favorite tea brands. If i remember properly, Alvita has a ginger/peppermint blend that is great for the tum. Ginger is hot and peppery; for some folks this can actually be tum-irritant, so take it easy. It marries well with lemon.

There are plenty of other tum-friendly herbs out there (peppermint and fennel off the top of my head--and you will see them blended with ginger in prepared teas) but ginger is the most effective legal anti-nausea botanical with which i have experience (the only other one that could beat it is not federally recognized as medicine :smokin:) I would encourage you to look around for others too; perhaps something else might be more effective in your case. Maybe you'll like munching on the dried ginger chews more than drinking tea.

I have in times past gone through such periods of nausea-inducing, appetite-obliterating anxiety that i have (unintentionally) dropped 6 lbs (on me that approaches damned disaster). For a while i was buying ginger root and just sucking on pieces of it (i actually wouldn't recommend this--it's really hot and spicy raw).
    The BEST cure for anxiety: working out. As in: serious physical exertion

WORD.
    it's also the best appetite stimulant. i, too, have a sensitive stomach and a flighty appetite that is prone to disappearing in the presence of stress. by now i know that i can make myself hungry enough to eat ANYTHING if i just work out enough. this is actually a key part of my strategy.

when the appetite is on the fritz, i give myself permission to eat anything i want--which turns out being the stuff i know isn't going to bother my tum--and i don't overthink it, i just try to eat as much as possible. if that turns out to be ricecakes and tapioca pudding for 2 days, it's fine--as long as i'm getting something down. two weeks is about the longest i've had to deal with it.

ed for quotefail and add
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options

NROL4W

You want to gain weight. Lift heavy weights and build some muscle.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! Greek yogurt - has lots of protein. Get the full fat versions.

Are you being treated for your anxiety disorder?
  • freakhazerd2424
    freakhazerd2424 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Have you talked with a doctor maybe there is actually a medical reason why your body doesn't want to eat. Maybe it's a mental thing maybe try a therapist. Or maybe ask your doctor about anxiety medications. I have suffered from anxiety my whole life and those have helped at different parts in my life. I think focusing on the symptoms such as food and not gaining weight won't help. Focus on the problem by getting professional help and it may change everything in your life on top f the food issues.
  • candyinmyheels
    Options
    if you are interested in trying some weightlifting, I really like the book "the new rules of lifting for women".

yoga might be nice too, if you can find a teacher/class you like nearby. Using your own bodyweight to build muscle is a great way to start.