My Third Time "Getting Started"

Options
casyb360
casyb360 Posts: 27 Member
Hi all! Just like the status says.... this is my third time starting down this road.

Long story short, I have 45lbs to lose to get to a healthier me, and I keep hitting dead ends. Its been really frustrating because I can't seem to find a method that works best for me. Being a sever asthmatic, my workout routines consist of walking and yogo, and my diet is all over the place.

Last time around, I ditched all the soda and I did lose 10lbs, which was great! Besides the fact that I never lost the cravings... not even for the soda and sugar, but more for the carbonation. I tried limiting my calories to 1200 because that's what mfp suggested to lose 1lb a week, and that just wasn't doing it for me either. It left me grumpy and hungry.

My newest adventure is to try eating 6 small meals throughout the day. 3 "meals" and 3 "snacks", and I'm hoping to stay under 1800 calories a day, which would give me 400 for "meals" and 200 for "snacks" This is a first time attempt and to be frank, I'm not sure how I'm going to do with it. Suggestions always welcome and befriending is cool too!

Anyone else "getting started" for the billionth time?

Replies

• nicholelwolfe88
    nicholelwolfe88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Casy!!! I know all about starting over when it comes to diet and exercise plans. I didn't even need one of those until I started working full-time. The fact that my job is mainly deskwork obviously is not helping any, but I'm trying to work around that.

I am trying a similar plan, only mine consists of five meals and 1500 calories instead, and my snacks usually come in around 100 calories, and my meals are not evenly proportioned I find. I also find myself swaying off course a lot on weekends, especially now that summer is here. however, enough about my struggles with food. During the week I stay on track the majority of the time. As far as calorie breakdown goes through the day:

Breakfast 7am - 300 calories (protein shake)
    Snack 10am - 100 calories (fruit - either fresh or a dole fruit cup)
    Lunch 12pm - 600 calories
    Snack 3pm- 100 calories (FiberPlus bar)
    Dinner 6pm- 400 calories

As you can see, my meals are not equal because of my schedule. Lunches and dinners obviously vary by day, but my staples are turkey sandwiches, steamfresh veggies, tossed salad w/ grilled chicken or tuna, bertolli chicken minestrone as a few examples.

I haven't even started a workout plan yet. I want to take this time around one step at a time instead of overwhelming myself with too much change at one time. So, I figure, once this new way of eating becomes a norm for me, I can start adding exercise into my daily plan.
  • casyb360
    casyb360 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi nicole!

Glad to know im not alone! I like your break down a lot... and im sire over time thats more along the lines of what ill end up doing. Because this is so new to me im just using my breakdown as a starting point.Im not a big breakfast person... or big meal person for that matter. I like to snack more then anything so im just seeing how it goes.

I also work a desk job and its work from home to boot, so I understand how that goes... And even though working from home may be seen as "easy" its a pain when it comes to food cravings!

I havemt quite gotten a work out rutine in mind yet... I want to increase my activity level, but in bits and pieces. Like I said, woth my asthma I have to be very careful when it comes to exercise! But I also need to realize that sitting on my duff isnr going to help make things easier either...
  • Smitten823
    Smitten823 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Casyb360!

Loved your post because i can completely 110% relate to that :) I have been "starting over" and "over again" for a few times now... Sometimes its because i loose the motivation, other times its because i get too busy - both are crappy excuses haha

I just wanted to write a quick note that you're not alone in this fun circle of going on and going off! I found that if i try to log my food ahead of time it was very helpful in keeping me on track - especially on weekends!

I also love Nicholewolfe's advice below - the breakdown of the meal time is a great idea I may just try it myself! My awful hobby is i often skip breakfast and have a huge lunch which doesnt help my weight loss

Good luck ladies!!!
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    3rd times a charm
  • Amson19
    Amson19 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I get tired of tracking, think that I'm doing ok, but then put it in and I'm at least 300 calories over :-/ I'm going to buy a new battery for my kitchen scale today and actually start weighing everything out. Then I was thinking this morning that maybe I'll just start WW. Everyone around me is doing that and losing weight. However, if I don't stick with that either then I won't lose. haha

I'm up and down each week on starting and stopping. Really need to buckle down and get this done. My friends telling me "You've been this weight forever, why change now?" really doesn't help. My wedding is Oct 4th, and I really just wanted to be a little bit skinnier by then lol
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've started over multiple times, without ever getting very far. I think it like quitting smoking. Sometimes it takes a few tries for things to click. I eat at a pretty similar schedule to what you are planning, three meals and two (not three) snacks, though my snacks really are more like mini-meals. That, combined with eating less sugar and starch (I am insulin resistant) has made things a bit easier this go round, though I've fallen off the wagon and been run over a time or two. Good luck!
  • nicholelwolfe88
    nicholelwolfe88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My wedding is coming up next summer, so that it definitely kicking my butt into gear now. lol. Funny how the idea of 100 people staring at you motivates you, huh? I very rarely use a kitchen scale for anything. I usually buy meat prepackaged in individual servings and it has the weight listed on it, which is nice and convenient for tracking purposes. I also try to make meals ahead of time due to a my busy workweek schedule, and that seems to help me sway from eating out too much.

I also input my food for the entire day in the morning to give me an idea of where my calories are that day and if I need to add/subtract something to make my daily goal. It has proven helpful so far. :) good luck