Spin Class Success?

Options
Who has seen weightloss success due to spin? I've recently joined a studio and I'm really excited about it. If you have any before/after pics that would be amazing! Thanks guys!

Replies

• starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't have any before/after pics for ya, BUT I have been going to spin for a little less than 2 months now and have significantly seen and felt a difference. I am a pant size down from when I started and have lost about 10 lbs in addition to eating well. My spin class is a "full body" spin, which differs from a lot of other spin classes out there, but I think that the cardio you get in any spin class is beneficial to weight loss.

Edited: I thought I should add, I only go twice a week to spin.....and do strength training a couple other days throughout the week.:flowerforyou:
  • sportpaige
    Options
    Thank you staznholes! My spin class is full body as well! I love it!
  • d0v3r13
    d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i've been doing spin for about a month now. usually 3x a week. LOVE it! i was formerly a runner on a regular basis, but i really enjoy spin. its probably the only indoor cardio i can tolerate. love the music, and the variation. i've lost weight and inches since starting but i've been eating well and doing additional workouts as well, so not sure how much came from spin specifically.
  • chic245
    chic245 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do spin 3 x a week and have been doing it for 5-6 years with an awesome instructor and great music. I spin as hard as I can on the sprints as well as any movements out of the seat. I burn about 550-600 calories per class and feel great. It is my prime cardio exercise but I also lift weights 2 x a week and work on my core 5 x a week. It stabilizes my weight and really works my heart rate to the most. FYI, I am 66 and spinning keeps me motivated and in decent shape. I plan on spinning for a long time.
  • chic245
    Options
    I do spin 3 x a week and have been doing it for 5-6 years with an awesome instructor and great music. I spin as hard as I can on the sprints as well as any movements out of the seat. I burn about 550-600 calories per class and feel great. It is my prime cardio exercise but I also lift weights 2 x a week and work on my core 5 x a week. It stabilizes my weight and really works my heart rate to the most. FYI, I am 66 and spinning keeps me motivated and in decent shape. I plan on spinning for a long time.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm the poster child for this thread. LOL. I starting spin in 2009. First time I had ever done a group ex class. I fell in love and quickly lost 40lbs. Cut to...I am now a spin, Bodypump, Bodycombat, Bodyjam, Bodyflow instructor and a 200hr certified yoga teacher. Spin changed my LIFE! I still teach it 3 times a week and still love it. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm probably the "oldster" here as I've been doing spin classes for a good 15-16 years now. It's my main cardio workout also. Honestly, I don't know if it really transformed my body but I do get a lot of compliments about the muscles in my calves! Which is funny because I never had any type of muscle definition when I was younger!:laugh:
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm the poster child for this thread. LOL. I starting spin in 2009. First time I had ever done a group ex class. I fell in love and quickly lost 40lbs. Cut to...I am now a spin, Bodypump, Bodycombat, Bodyjam, Bodyflow instructor and a 200hr certified yoga teacher. Spin changed my LIFE! I still teach it 3 times a week and still love it. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Spin completely changed my life and its been less than two months, LOL. I really want to become a spin instructor some day!!! (That is my goal anyway). Kudos to you, you've done a great job!
  • dawnr2
    dawnr2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I went to my first spin class a few months ago and hated it. Was so unfit that I couldn't do anything out of the saddle. After a few spin workouts on my own on the bike in the gym, I went back to class and loved it. That was just at the end of April and I'm now at 2-3 spin classes a week plus other classes. I attend weight watchers too reached my goal weight so my weight loss is combination of diet and exercise-difficult to say how much is due to spinning only but I'm certainly getting fitter and stronger all the time. Just wondering what exactly is in the spin workouts that mentioned being for total body?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I like spin class, helped bridge an endurance gap for me on the bike for a tri.

Lose weight? No, didn't lose any weight while training for my tri.
  • dj59lane
    dj59lane Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    YEs down 2 pants sizes
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I don't do spin class but I ride my bike a lot (6-10 hours a week in the summer, 5-7 hours a week the rest of the year). Spinning can help you lose weight but only IF you don't consume more food to compensate for the exercise.

In 2012, I bicycled 2500 miles and gained 10 pounds.

In 2013, I bicycled 3500 miles and lost 45 pounds.

The difference? In 2012, I ate what I wanted, and just "watched" the amount. In 2013, I counted calories and made sure I was consistently eating at a deficit.
  • sportpaige
    Options
    The full body aspect comes from isometric movements, incorporated with small hand weights for upper body (arms and back) and ball for the core. It kicks my butt!
  • sportpaige
    Options
    I don't do spin class but I ride my bike a lot (6-10 hours a week in the summer, 5-7 hours a week the rest of the year). Spinning can help you lose weight but only IF you don't consume more food to compensate for the exercise.

In 2012, I bicycled 2500 miles and gained 10 pounds.

In 2013, I bicycled 3500 miles and lost 45 pounds.

The difference? In 2012, I ate what I wanted, and just "watched" the amount. In 2013, I counted calories and made sure I was consistently eating at a deficit.

Thanks for the reminder to keep using my calorie counter!
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinning. I've been doing it about 2.5 years now, 3 times a week and i have lost 2.5 stone since then. My legs are now definitely my best feature with well defined muscles... just need to work on the tummy area now!
    It was so hot in the class last night i looked like i'd just got out the shower when we finished.

This annoys me, and don't ask me why it just does, why do people not listen to the instructor? She says we're on a hill climb, give me 80% resistance and some folk are still peddling like they are in a sprint. I want to reach over and crank up that resistance and tell them to work harder! And when told, "flat road, all out sprint", those same poeple tootle along like driving Miss Daisy.
    Rant over.

Spinning is great!
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I spin Mon, Wed, Fri and have noticed my legs are more toned. It makes me sweat like crazy to the tune that my spin towel is wet, undershirt, and the shirt I wear over it. It also helps with my speed in softball.
  • chic245
    Options
    I started spin in 1996 when I wanted to increase endurance and speed for sprint triathlons. After 3 months the results were obvious...I went from 9th to 2nd (out of ten) in my age group and at a longer distance. Today it is still the best cardio I have found and the most fun. We have a great instructor who motivates and keeps it fun at the highest level. So I am hooked and will continue 2-3 x a week except for vacation time. Good luck everyone!
  • saralentz
    saralentz Posts: 3
    Options
    I started Spinning back in March, and I fell in love! I went about once a week for a month, and then ramped it up and now I try and do one a day. The calories burned is what originally got me hooked, (I am now averaging 1,000 calories a class) but I ran a full mile for the first time in my life last week without stopping, and that keeps me motivated to keep spinning to see more results! I have lost some weight too, so obviously that helps keep me going too.

If you can find a class where the bikes are hooked up to monitors it will totally change your ride. Seeing where your RPM's and Watts are really challenges you, and makes you work harder to increase your numbers.

I travel A LOT for work, and I try to find a local spin class in the area so I can keep going, (if only I could take my class everywhere). if anyone else is interested, you can generally find a local spin gym that has a 'first time free' class or sometimes I get lucky and find a full week for free.

Keep going and you'll see success :)