Is a FitBit necessary.....?

Options
Ok, so I have recently purchased a Polar FT4 to get an accurate calorie burn during my workouts at the gym. I absolutely love it by the way!!! Because of my schedule right now I am only getting to the gym 3 days out of the week, and I only use my HRM when I'm doing serious workouts. I want to ensre that I am still getting the necessary exercise throughout the other 4 days out of the week. Do you think the FitBit zip would be a good alternative? I was looking for a cheaper pedometer since that is all I really want it for, but I have not found one with reviews as good as the FitBit at that price point or cheaper. Accuracy is very important to me, and my cell phone pedometer is a joke.

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it would be necessary... But if you plan on walking/running more (which you don't mention) on non-gym days, then it's a great way to measure that active and provide a boost of motivation. I have a FitBit Flex and I love it. I have a pretty active lifestyle and I walk quite a lot, so it helps me to have the data on it.
  • KaidensMom13
    KaidensMom13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yea, I plan on walking on those off days, and I want to walk more while at work. I'm thinking that would be beneficial because I want to get to 10,000 steps a day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    none of it is necessary.

My fitbit flex and my samsung S5 are equally accurate. I only have the fitbit because it will allow me to track my sleep patterns which is important data to me.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    For me yes it is necessary. It keeps me motivated and moving. I feel lost without it, but that is just me.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary, but it's definitely a great tool. I've found that (for me at least) it pretty accurate as far as my calories burned count and as long as I'm doing a good job estimating my calorie intake I almost always post a loss as long as I show a deficit.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I have found that after initially using my HRM a lot, I don't use it at all anymore. But I do have a nice water proof watch :)
    Thought about the fit bit. But I would end up not using it. Though I would no discount the usefulness of it for someone getting started. Gathering information and understanding how much it takes to burn what was taken in is important. Eventually you won't need an external device to know whether you are in balance.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've made the majority of my progress logging foods here and using a HRM to track exercise burns. I recently picked up a Fitbit Zip because I like gadgets and wanted a bit more info. I figured after Christmas I might be able to pick one up on eBay for less than retail, and I was right. :smile: I got a brand new one for around $38.

I like that the numbers I get from it are a close match for the calculations & estimates I've been using all along, plus it's a good motivator for me to move more and reach for those daily step goals.

We bought one for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day - with a Target sale, using my Red Card and some of the gift cards you can pick up for buying certain items in the store, I got hers for less than the one I bought on eBay.

Necessary? No, but worth it if you really like to track the numbers. The Zip is perfect for me because I don't need the sleep or stair tracking, and I like that it's not a model to wear on the wrist - I clip it to my bra and it's out of sight and safely secured all day long.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Yea, I plan on walking on those off days, and I want to walk more while at work. I'm thinking that would be beneficial because I want to get to 10,000 steps a day.

I don't have a HRM, but got a Fitbit from my employer's wellness plan. I liked it so well that I ordered one for my dad.
    The open box deals on eBay are about 30% cheaper, but I just saw the Fitbit Flex at Costco with extra color wristbands.
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit. I don't think it's necessary. It helps me with motivation and keeping track of when I walk/run. I like knowing how far I've gone. I also really like the sleep tracking. I learned through it how often I'm restless, etc. Plus I found that the sleep much sounder when I exercise around 45 minutes per day. So, I made a change and sleep better. It's helped with things like that for me. One thing that I did notice is that the one I have (the Flex) didn't do a great job when I did higher impact exercises.
  • AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fitbit but I do have a BodyMedia Core. Same concept. It isn't necessary but I'm an #s geek and I love having it. I like knowing how well I'm sleeping at night, how many calories I burn doing stuff around the house etc. Plus I get bar graphs, nerd heaven.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Most of these fitness trackers simply track movement and correlate calories burned to it. In my opinion, they're not very accurate. If you shake your wrist for example you will log movement, but are you really burning calories. You get steps and other little motivations. They're very popular now. Fitbit leads the pack, followed closely by Nike and BodyMedia. BodyMedia is by far the most useful and accurate. However, since Jawbone bought BodyMedia, it seems more and more that they are working on killing off the product. Too bad.

I personally like to use a Chest Strap Heart Rate Monitor. I feel they're the most accurate. I also wear a Nike Fuel Band (for fun). The Nike is just there to keep me motivated to reach a "goal" every day.

When I work out I wear the HRM. I pair that with iCardio App by DigiFit. I like to see how many minutes/% my heart was in the Orange and Red Zones, that tells me I'm pushing it. I can also see accurately my calories burned. For me it's about data. The "how many minutes I was active in a day" or "achieving trophies" part of these apps don't really excite me any more.

I have the Polar H7 Blue Tooth strap/pod. This is why I like it. It works on both iOS and Android (4.2+). I can still use my BlueTooth headphones while connected to the app. I also have a Polar FT7 Watch and the H7 Will sync to the watch. This way I don't have to whip out my phone to see my HR while working out. iCardio syncs with MyFitnessPal When you're done working it, it logs it for you. Also, many gym cardio machines receive Polar Link signals, so your HR will show up on the treadmill while you're running etc.

This is the Polar H7, one of the more inexpensive ones on the market and one of the best! http://bit.ly/polarh7

If anything I would get the Fitbit Flex. My sister had the Zip and lost it a couple of times and eventually lost it all together! It's small.

But if you're interested, here's a list of fitness devices I've been keeping track of for awhile. There's a lot out there. Beware, a lot of these are vaporware or coming soon.

Airo
    Amiigo
    Angel
    Apple iWatch
    Atlas
    Basis Carbon Steel
    Body Media
    Fitbit Flex
    Garmin Vivofit
    Groove
    Gym Watch
    Hapi Watch
    Hexo Skin
    IroNova
    iThlete
    Jawbone Up
    Jaybird Reign
    Kreyos Smart Watch
    Lark
    LG Life Band
    Life Track C300
    Lumo Lift
    Microsoft Smart Watch
    Mio Link
    Moov
    Moto360 Smart Watch
    Nike Fuel Band SE
    OMsignal Biometric Smartwear
    Pebble Steel - Smart Watch
    Polar Loop
    Polar H7 - BT Heart Rate Monitor
    Pulse - ON!
    Push
    Razer Nabu Smartband
    Samsung Gear
    Shine
    Sketchers - Go Walk
    Skulpt
    Scosche Rhythm
    Soleus Go! Fitness Tracker
    Sony Fitness Band
    Spree Headband
    Strive Play
    TAO Well Shell
    Tom Tom Runner Cardio
    Underarmor Armor 39 - Heart Rate Monitor
    Wahoo Heart Rate Monitor
    Wellograph
    Withings Pulse
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Loop and H7 chest strap. The Loop also tracks steps, cals burned etc and syncs with the chest strap for workouts. Total cost for both about $200 - I started with the Loop and got the chest strap a couple months later.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    none of it is necessary.

My fitbit flex and my samsung S5 are equally accurate. I only have the fitbit because it will allow me to track my sleep patterns which is important data to me.

I agree that none of these gadgets is necessary. I manually test my HR every 10 minutes throughout a cardio workout, and average it to estimate my burns. I also use my Samsung S4 as a pedometer for walking and running, and it's dead on for mileage (compared to mileage markers on the trail I use. Even so, the pedometer isn't even necessary, as good ol' stopping for a few seconds for a HR check and noting distance and time works just fine, too.

Although, seeing 10,000+ on the pedometer every day is pretty motivating, IMHO, and I recommend at minimum some type of simple pedometer, or pedometer app (there's tons of free ones out there) to chart progress and motivate you.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Is it necessary -- no. Is it awesome -- oh, yes. Yes, it is. For both measuring and motivation, the Fitbit is a great tool. It's not a panacea, but it's very useful -- especially if your activity is primarily step-based, and even more so if your daily activity level varies greatly. I use mine to determine my daily non-exercise burn and log my workouts using either an HRM or the MFP estimate. My Fitbit was instrumental in my weight loss and has been key to my maintenance over the past year.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Because my mileage does vary daily, I use a Fitbit. :smile:
  • sdb111
    sdb111 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't find it necessary but it is encouraging and lets me know if I am not moving enough. I have the flex and I love it. I think it is personal preference but I truly do love it. The flex is easy, a bracelet, I have it on always. I keep upping the goals for the day, I'm working towards 15000 steps/day now. I have to really work for this goal. My only complaint is that it doesn't count steps climbed... Anyway, it sounds like whatever you decide will be great... you are motivated and on a mission. Good for you!
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessary per say, but I do love my fitbit 1! I do sync it with MFP, but I log my food, exercise, and my burns from workouts into MFP only. The fitbit will automatically give me exercise points in my diary, but I delete those because I have never counted walking around work or climbing the stairs as a workout or a burn. So I use the Fitbit to motivate me to get lots of steps and stairs in, and MFP to log food and calories in vs out. I like that it's tiny and clips on anything, I can see on the screen my numbers, and I like to log my sleep patterns too!
  • sdb111
    sdb111 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!
  • Kitschenbitsch
    Options
    Highly recommend the Fitbit One -- tracks stairs, sleep, steps, the whole nine. I've used mine every day for ten months and it's made a huge difference in motivation. I've gotten over 10k steps every day this year so far. Even if I don't keep up everything else, I do keep that up!

Friends and I have found the One to be more accurate than the Flex. I can't speak for the Zip.
  • waftywaftam
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as Fishgutzy, the HRM sits in the top flap of my pack and I never seem to have the desire to want to use it anymore. However I am disappointed I cannot use it with the Vivofit I just got. And the strap on that brand is pretty iffy, it will not take much to catch the end of the band on something and have the clasp undo without you noticing. These don't strike me as a necessary device, but it seems many can get motivated by them, the question is, how long before it ends up being ignored like my HRM?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a Fitbit from ebay. A large percentage of these devices don't work, right out of the package. The company will only honor warranty claims if you purchased from an authorized retailer. I personally have returned so many I'd even stick to a local store, so you don't even have to deal with their customer service and shipping it back.

The Costco deal for a Flex with three bands for $95 is a great deal. But the One and Zip are more accurate. But they're all great for motivation and for trend analysis.