Fitbit or HRM?

I know this has probably been asked many times, so I apologize! I have heard good and bad things about HRM's and Fitbit. I am interested in tracking the most accurate amount of calories I burn during workouts. I mostly run/walk, strength train, swim, and do Zumba sometimes. From what I have read, it seems like a HRM might be the best way to go based on what I want it to do. Are there any affordable devices ($100 or less) that do both? Track calories during workouts and the amount of steps you take per day? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I know this has probably been asked many times, so I apologize! I have heard good and bad things about HRM's and Fitbit. I am interested in tracking the most accurate amount of calories I burn during workouts. I mostly run/walk, strength train, swim, and do Zumba sometimes. From what I have read, it seems like a HRM might be the best way to go based on what I want it to do. Are there any affordable devices ($100 or less) that do both? Track calories during workouts and the amount of steps you take per day? Any help is greatly appreciated!

No HRM or FitBit will be accurate for strength training. A FitBit will not work with swimming.

You can get an HRM for less than $100, but it won't be as accurate or as good to use as a more expensive model. Mine was $150 (a long time ago) and it works great. Make sure you can input your VO2 MAX, or the calories burned will mean very little.

No HRM for under $100 will count steps taken. In fact, I'm not sure if ANY HRM counts steps taken. It's not what they're designed for. You can, however, get a pedometer for, like, $12.
  • eemitchell1984
    eemitchell1984 Posts: 83 Member
    I think that for calories burned you want an HRM. I am a fitbit user. I have to always guess on what my caloric burn is. Its great for tracking activity, but it is not custom to your individual body.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Yes, a HRM is your best way to do that!

Sincerely,
    Somebody seriously regretting their Fitbit purchase
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    I use both. I wear my fitbit all day just to keep me honest about my general activity and then wear my polar HRM for workouts for an accurate burn. I got mine for about $80 off heartratemonitorsUSA.com. Yiou can get basic ones for cheaper but i wanted one that connected to a footpod for running.
  • KaraBoo87
    KaraBoo87 Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks, all! I think a HRM is the way to go! :)
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Definitely. I'd like a FitBit for a more accurate TDEE measurement? But I went with the Polar FT4, found a good deal on Amazon ($80 at the time!) and it works like a dream. I'm less concerned with steps counted than I am with what I burn during my workouts, since I have a desk job and I'm largely sedentary unless I'm dancing or something. It works for me.
  • KaraBoo87
    KaraBoo87 Posts: 35 Member
    I've read the FT4 is great, so I'm def looking into that one! Why aren't HRM's good for strength training? I honestly know nothing about them!
  • I wear a Vivofit (by Garmin). It has a HRM that goes with it, and tracks steps as well. Integrates with MFP, and displays steps, hearbeat, on the wrist device (without looking at the app)....you might want to check that out if you are in the market for a device.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member

No HRM or FitBit will be accurate for strength training. A FitBit will not work with swimming.

You can get an HRM for less than $100, but it won't be as accurate or as good to use as a more expensive model. Mine was $150 (a long time ago) and it works great. Make sure you can input your VO2 MAX, or the calories burned will mean very little.

No HRM for under $100 will count steps taken. In fact, I'm not sure if ANY HRM counts steps taken. It's not what they're designed for. You can, however, get a pedometer for, like, $12.

Yeah, an HRM is better for a steady state cardio. The fitbit (or any other "activity tracker") is better for tracking...well...overall activity. There are still some deficiencies there if we look at what it's using to measure activity and certain activities like weight training.

I'm just not a huge fan of steady state cardio, so I don't personally see much value in an HRM. Your mileage will vary.

There are some more expensive HRMs that track lots of stuff. The Basis B1, for example, tracks quite a few things. I am, however, a little skeptical of an HRM without a chest strap.
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    I have no idea what they cost these days because they were discontinued, but look into a Motoactv with a HR strap. I have no idea why these didn't take over the whole exercise world because it's small, and it does everything: hold all your mp3s, has a radio, 4-5 hour batterly life, blue tooth capability for headphones or to sync with your phone so you can receive texts (if you NEED to be that connected while huffing and puffing), GPS, and is ANT+ HRM compliant. When brand new, they were $150. Seriously - what more could you want?!

Anyway, I have one and love it. If they were $150 new years ago, you can probably grab one used for much less. Motorola may not be supporting them anymore since they were discontinued, which is a risk, but it's awesome. It isn't a pedometer, but as someone else mentioned, those you can pick up for like, $12 as a compliment to this.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    I've read the FT4 is great, so I'm def looking into that one! Why aren't HRM's good for strength training? I honestly know nothing about them!

A faster beating heart does not by itself indicate a significant increase in calories burned. I believe the calculations used by HRMs to determine caloric burn use Volume load, while strength training involves Pressure load. The essential difference is that your heart can beat faster for different reasons depending on what you're doing. That difference can make a large difference in how much you're burning during the activity.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    bump.

I've been looking at the vivofit which has both, but haven't seen less than ~170 for the pack (wrist band for activity monitoring and chest strap for HRM). I have same thoughts on I probably want HRM more than activity monitor since more interested in burn during workouts, which tend to be Jillian videos and recently, weight lifting, but it would be nice to have the combo and seems probably cheaper to have the pack (that I know will talk to each other) than get a fitbit and a HRM separately.
  • jaegging
    jaegging Posts: 29 Member
    I've been using a Fitbit Flex for about 2 months and I have a Polar FT4 out for delivery today.

I was concerned because I've been struggling to eat enough (I know, woe is me...) and started to become more concerned that I was burning more than I estimated during work outs (making my calorie deficit even worse) because I was only relying on my Fitbit activity for exercise tracking.

At two hours of work with Fitbit recording 30 minutes of active time, I decided that I'd rather rely on a HRM instead. I don't assume it will be perfectly accurate, but surely better than just using Fitbit. My exercise program is cardio and strength training.

Edited to say, I still love my Fitbit and will continue to use it, but I won't be relying on it to track my gym time.