Treadmill noise

Options
Jcox300
Jcox300 Posts: 62 Member
Anyone have this problem? How do you fix it?

So I am a bigger girl and I have tried running on a treadmill but I seem to make SOOO much noise (feet hitting treadmill) when everyone else around me is quite on running. Am I running wrong?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Bring music....turn music up loud enough so that you don't hear the noise (using headphones). Problem solved.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    When I was able to run, at 200lbs before my knee replacement, honestly never even thought about the noise I was making. Just super happy I was running.

In the words of NIKE: Just do it! 99% of people aren't paying any attention to others because we're focused on our own workout.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've become self conscious at the gym before because of the noise. I too felt like I was making way more noise than anyone next to me and making the stupid thing shake really bad. I always feel like I'm going to break them.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Are you landing on your heels when you run? The loud treadmill runners in my gym seem to be heel-strikers. If this is your case, you could be setting yourself up for knee problems. A lot of specialty running shoe stores are set up to analyze your gait and advise on shoes to match it; a visit to one of these might help you get some information on your form.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Anyone have this problem? How do you fix it?

So I am a bigger girl and I have tried running on a treadmill but I seem to make SOOO much noise (feet hitting treadmill) when everyone else around me is quite on running. Am I running wrong?

You should hear me, I'm like a herd of galloping gallumphs.

Anyone says a word, they'll get an ear full. Do your thing.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, that noise is much louder to you than anyone else. You are in your own little world at the gym focused on yourself. So is everyone else. I am sure other people are just as noisy, but you don't remember them. In the same way, they don't remember you and the noise you make. (If they do, they obviously weren't working to their full potential that day.)
    Just play music louder than the treadmill. Or better yet, run outdoors if you can. It's much prettier than the gym. Plus bonus wildlife!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    pfffft I own it. I couldn't run for a long time. First, I was too heavy and out of shape, and then I had serious complications from surgery. At this point, I'm all "look at me, I'm running!!!"
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Nobody caaaaaaaares
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Nobody caaaaaaaares

mmmmmmmhmmmmmmm

if you spend an hour hammaring the treadmill so loud I can't talk to someone or can't hear my music- yeah I might get a little annoyed. will I do anything- nope- but I'll probably laugh to myself and go- damn- hate to be that guys knees in 3 years.

The only time I find someone to be excessively loud is when they are sprinting at a high speed- all other variations of "loud" runners aren't that loud- it seems to be more of a self conscious thing.

the issue of knees and joints is a bigger concern than "loud" most people aren't as loud as they think.
  • ilenewilliams
    ilenewilliams Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love tredmill users that make the noise. I time my elipital pace to it and always end up with a great workout! LOL I need people like you that way I have a beat to workout too. I do wear earbuds, but only one just for that reason.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    The loudest treadmill runners at my gym are not the heavier folks. These people just run harder.

Don't worry about it, go do your workout and go home. Repeat.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Nobody caaaaaaaares

mmmmmmmhmmmmmmm

if you spend an hour hammaring the treadmill so loud I can't talk to someone or can't hear my music- yeah I might get a little annoyed. will I do anything- nope- but I'll probably laugh to myself and go- damn- hate to be that guys knees in 3 years.

The only time I find someone to be excessively loud is when they are sprinting at a high speed- all other variations of "loud" runners aren't that loud- it seems to be more of a self conscious thing.

the issue of knees and joints is a bigger concern than "loud" most people aren't as loud as they think.

Easy for me to say because I don't ever run on a treadmill. But on one of my routes are large steel grates and I make a point to crash on them as loudly as I can.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Nobody caaaaaaaares

mmmmmmmhmmmmmmm

It has to be better than Orgasm Dude at my gym. Between the grunting and the moaning you seriously start to question what he's thinking about when he runs/bikes/lifts/ect.
  • d0v3r13
    d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i would suggests trying to adjust your footfalls so they don't thud like that just for your knees and feet. going to a running store is a good place to start as the right shoes can help a lot with that. and like someone else said, its hitting with your heel first, try to aim for the lower middle of your foot when you run :) other than that, don't worry about it and don't feel too self conscious. even the fattest person at the gym is still a person at the gym, working on being better :smile:

(i'm not calling you fat, i'm saying good for you for exercising:flowerforyou: )
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    How do you fix it?

Run outside...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Easy for me to say because I don't ever run on a treadmill. But on one of my routes are large steel grates and I make a point to crash on them as loudly as I can.

LOL- I always find myself either jumping like a random shocked cat over rates and things- or hitting them hard enough to think I'm going to go through them.
    It has to be better than Orgasm Dude at my gym. Between the grunting and the moaning you seriously start to question what he's thinking about when he runs/bikes/lifts/ect.
    there is- it would seem- almost one in every gym LOL

this reminds me of my old LA Fitness- all cardio equipment was upstairs- and there was at least 2x a week- someone who would pick one of the treadmills over the open section and run sprints- or just run super fast... (the space where you walked under the second floor that was still out in the gym- before you got to the bathrroms- which- were under the second floor- but enclosed- so you couldn't hear anything)

and the sound of the runner was like- doubled because of the hollow area or something- I'm not sure- but it sounded like they were going to break the floor- it was almost funny because it was SO loud due to the nature of the area.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm 128 pounds and I still sound like an ogar on the treadmill.. It's even worse when I crank up the speed and it sounds like it's going to break. Just get used to it. No one cares
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem,just this morning I was like wow I am really loud on this...I don't think anyone else notices or cares though.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Increase your cadence (the number of footstrikes per minute)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I just realized you changed your name- and your picture is back to what it was.

Damnit I absolutely cannot keep up with these things!!!